Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Usability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Usability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWildsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Usability Reply with quote

OK, so I've had my 510 for a day and used it on a trip Bristol to Winchester.

Very pleased, a number of nice features. But, as usual, its the things that don't work, or not so well that we talk about!

1. Add new places to a trip works, but even when moving them about (to get the right order) it seems to move them back again!

2. Would be nice to be able to ask for an alternative route at any time

3. Bit daft the message when you're driving saying something like 'dangerous to use when driving, are you a passenger'. I just pressed yes! Still, not much need to do so.

4. When selecting the 2d map when driving, once I'm off the screen it doesn't move along. Is this right?

5. Finally, and not a problem of the 510, speed camera POI's work, but quite a few not in location any more. Yes, if I hd the time (and inclination) I could stop and note the location, but is there an easier way - so I can advise updates.

be great to hear other views.

Paul
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Usability Reply with quote

PaulWildsmith wrote:
4. When selecting the 2d map when driving, once I'm off the screen it doesn't move along. Is this right?

Paul, this is right. I think the 2D map is more for being able to pinpoint areas, drag the map along manually with the stylus and being able to enter in 'avoid areas', etc. You can't do any of this in the 3D map, as when you try to move the stylus along it, it simply changes the horizon/3D effect.

Basically, the 3D map is while you are moving, the 2D map is for when you are plotting things, shading in avoids, noting down addresses etc with the pop-up effect.

Simon
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you 'drag' in 2D mode, do you not get an icon in the bottom right-hand corner?
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between 2D and 3D (apart from the 3D effect) is that there are no directions or next manouvres shown at the top of the screen. All the info at the bottom is still there. When you drag the map, it moves in a 'piece' and when you let go, the rest of the map appears behind it (does this awful description make sense?)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a bad description. On V2 of the PPC version, when you drag the screen on 2D, an icon appears in the bottom right-hand corner. If you then tap said icon your position returns to the centre of the screen and your position remains central; if you then move, your position remains central and the map scrolls to suit. If you don't tap it, it doesn't.
Fixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 510 a few days ago, so had a chance to play around with it as well. I've seen some of the problems you're talking about.

Moving places around in a trip is rather odd. You tap on the place and it takes you to another menu where you can select Move, then you can move that place name up and down the list with the keypad. But it doesn't actually lock the name in the new place until you press the centre of the keypad. Why don't they use the touch screen for this? You can't drag the name, and if you touch another name it just selects that one instead.

The alternate route would be great, especially if you could use it to get round traffic jams / roadworks.

The question about being a passenger can be turned off in Settings->Alerts->Operating. It's called Warn driver when operating. I suppose it's a safety thing but it's so much easier when it's turned off!

I had the same problem with the 2d map until I pressed the Esc key and then it locked back on the car icon.

Not sure about the speed camera POI's. You could set Favourites for each one so you knew the location, but it's not easy to do when you're driving! Have to train one of the kids to do it...

Fixer
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixer wrote:
Moving places around in a trip is rather odd. You tap on the place and it takes you to another menu where you can select Move, then you can move that place name up and down the list with the keypad. But it doesn't actually lock the name in the new place until you press the centre of the keypad. Why don't they use the touch screen for this? You can't drag the name, and if you touch another name it just selects that one instead.
Fixer

Fixer, when you move an item in the Trip Planner, you can tap the item you have just moved with the stylus and that locks it in. It's a bit easier than using the keypad.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: