Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Map 2023.10 available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Map 2023.10 available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Garmin Map 2023.10 available Reply with quote

New map available - 2023.10.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Map 2023.10 available Reply with quote

Dabri wrote:
New map available - 2023.10.

Garmin Express has also been updated to 7.13.0.0.

I presume that this is coincidental.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Later
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated express but no map update showing for my Camper 760 Crying or Very sad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Suss has previously said, there are 2 map types.

Yours may be in the pipeline.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for a long post but I hope that it mayhelp others as well as me.

Updating my 2598 to 2023.10 is being an ongoing TOTAL NIGHTMARE.

It has been over a year since I did a map update and my first problem was with Garmin Express. GE demanded that I update the version of GE on my Win 8 desktop to 7.11.1.0, giving me no option to continue without updating. However, on every occasion the update has failed and thrown me outof GE. That is still an ongoing issue as I have tried all the Garmin Support suggested solutions, including a complete uninstall and reinstall (failed) of GE.

I then transferred the task from my Win 8 desktop to my Win 10 laptop. Once again, an update of GE was required and concluded satisfactorily to 7:13.1.0. Following that I was able to update my maps to 2023.10 satisfactorily - or so it appeared though the Nuvi does seem reluctant to connect to the laptop usb3 port - with at least two different cables. I was NOT able to download the maps to the laptop hard disk for use with BaseCamp. That is not a critical issue.

HOWEVER - I was concerned to find that in Windows Explorer the Device free space was only 12Mb and, not surprisingly, this is impacting sverely on the speed of the Nuvi, particularly with longer routes.

I felt two solutions could be appropriate: One would be to split the maps differently, assuming that I can manage that approriately in GE. The other would be to install the whole map to a bigger SD Card, again assuming that GE gives me the option.

NOW I find that GE no longer has the option to manage maps so the next stage was to attempt deletion. After a good deal of anguish I eventually found the way into booting the Garmin into Mass Storage mode, the only way to be able to see the map files in Windows Explorer and thus delete them.

BUT - I am astounded to see that the latest file modified dates are 29 September 2021 - and that is for both the img file for the Europe North map on the device AND for the Europe South img file on my card. Given that I loaded the maps yesterday those file dates seem odd. The gma and unl files have assorted dates of 22/04/17, 21/02/18, 14/03/19, 23/12/19, 03/03/20, 04/06/21 and 29/09/21.
I can accept that not all map sections will have updates but ....... ??

SO - Questions

1: How do I install maps to the PC so that I can choose specific areas to download?

2: Am I safe to delete all the gma and unl files and the img file from each of the Device and the SD Card?

3: If 2023.10 maps are being released in May 2022 why am I getting file modified dates of September 2021 or earlier? Isn't the img file created when the map is downloaded as an amalgam of the areas or tiles that have been selected? The "Maps installed" info on the Nuvi does correctly show 2032.10, N on the device and S on the card.

4: Will GE give me the option to put the whole Europe map on the SD card or will I need to fill the device with useless data (to be deleted after installation) to take up space and force the installation onto the card?

I'd be grateful for some advice on this from the forum gurus. I used to be competent with myNuvi once!

It appears that Garmin are closing down the options available to those who want to tailor their devices to optimise operation in favour of automatic processes - perhaps to force users to update their devices. Shocked Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my 2599 I had a capacity problem a year or 2 ago.

It told me to use a SDCard, or, it gave me a link in GE to customise the download.

What I did was to just select UK & I as that is all I need.

Prior to that I'd already deleted all foreign language files like help, keyboard and themes and all vehicle icons I didn't need.

Thinking back, I'm sure I allowed GE to install the map on the SDCard and then when I took the card out and connected to the PC it detected no maps and prompted a fresh map install.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, despite being able to see all the map files on the SD card I cannot see the map on the device even though I AM in Mass Storage mode. All I can see on th edevice, in th eMaps folder, is a gma file dated 18/01/2016.

Google Maps, here I come ......
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
With my 2599 I had a capacity problem a year or 2 ago.

It told me to use a SDCard, or, it gave me a link in GE to customise the download.

What I did was to just select UK & I as that is all I need.

Prior to that I'd already deleted all foreign language files like help, keyboard and themes and all vehicle icons I didn't need.

Thinking back, I'm sure I allowed GE to install the map on the SDCard and then when I took the card out and connected to the PC it detected no maps and prompted a fresh map install.

I think that a year or two ago it DID give the option to customise and install. But now all I get in GE is "You are up-to-date" with no option to do anything. It feels as if I am stuffed - with a useless Nuvi which is too slow to use - and we are off to Europe in two weeks' time!
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH - I have just removed the SD card and clicked the options in GE. This time as well as what I got before I have been presented with an option to reinstall the map and to install maps to the laptop so that is now happening. That should then let me select a few tiles to reinstall onto the device and I can put th erest onto the SD card, hopefully.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - after most of a day of fiddling I am finally there. As Kremmen suggested I removed the SD card and that alowed me to substitute 2023.10 Southern Europe onto the Device instead of 2023.10 Northern Europe (which is more than 1Gb bigger). That left me with over 1Gb of free memory on the Device. At the same time I downloaded the full 2023.10 map set onto my laptop. Then, using MapInstall I was able, very laboriously, to select the map tiles that I feltI needed from the overall Europe dataset and install that on the card using a card reader.
Sadly, although when installed automatically there was a Europe North map, that was not an available option for installing although Europe South was.

It seems very odd that GE would divide the full maps into two parts making one part (which excludes UK) easily accessible as an option for loading but not the other.

I suspect that I have wasted my time in getting a bigger SD card as I think there would never have been an issue if Garmin had allowed me to choose which half of the map to put on the device and which on the card.

Thanks for your help Kremmen - although you were not specific your experience led me in the right direction.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

My final solution was to get the DriveSmart 61. A decision I've never regretted.

It has plenty of extra storage space and the 7" edge to edge screen makes it easier to see.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of points here.

First, Garmin have to split the map as the current EU map is over 4Gb and the Windows FAT32 system can only handle files up to 4Gb.

Second, using MapInstall to install maps on newer automotive devices isn't a good idea as it only installs the map, and there are numerous other updates included in a map update, junction view files etc which you'll lose by using MapInstall.

If you're having issues using Express, and it seems from posts both on the Garmin and Zumo forums that there are some problems with the latest Express version, a better solution is to try the cloning method, see http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
And for completeness as per other map releases:

Full download is 9.4Gb

Key differences between 2022.20 and 2023.10 files for those with full European coverage.

Gmapprom.img - 2,865,344 (North)
D6210180A.img - 2,742.976 (South)
D6165180A.jcv - 229,281 (North)
D6212180A.jcv - 188,309 (South)

Gmapprom.img - 2,779,520 (North)
D6210190A.img - 2,697,792 (South)
D6165190A.jcv - 227,778 (North)
D6212190A.jcv - 188,151 (South)
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just logged in to Garmin Express and it tells me that the a map update, to v2013.10, is available for my Nuvi 760. I presume that it is the "NT" rather than "NTU" version.

This may be of interest for those who may have older devices (mine is about 15 years old) and keep them as "backups",

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: