Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused about Garmin traffic data in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about Garmin traffic data in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Confused about Garmin traffic data in the UK Reply with quote

I am really confused where traffic data is coming from on my new DriveSmart 86 satnav EU MT-D. I live in the UK and on the net I’ve worked out there are are both S and D traffic data versions of Garmin satnavs. It seems S traffic data comes from your phone and D via DAB radio. But I have also read this about what I assume is the D service:

Garmin would like to inform you that the Garmin Digital Traffic service for the United Kingdom will cease to exist as from 30th June 2021 due to the current service provider discontinuing the service.

So having just bought the 8 inch D version (I assume with moniker MT-D) of the new DriveSmart satnavs (which is the only one that has an included cable for traffic) would I actually have been better with one of the smaller S versions?

If so, why is the most expensive 8 inch Garmin DriveSmart unit more restricted for traffic data here in the UK?

It’s very confusing!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D version is now useless in the UK as the TPEG signals are no longer broadcast.

However, from my experience the data coming in via the Smartlink app is not the same data as it was prior to the D side being switched off in June.

Prior to June the Smartlink data was abysmal as, in my area, the roadworks data was often obsolete and not unusual to have roadworks closures that were completed up to 6 months ago.
This obsolete data was filling the buffer preventing realtime traffic being collected and displayed.

The previous traffic also occasionally had a MAAS tag that from my investigation was viaMichelin.

Since June the traffic has been just as good as before and I would not be surprised to learn that the S data has been switched to the superior Inrix as the data I'm seeing is the same format.

viaMichelin never acknowledged the M4 roadworks but since June Smartlink has been identical in format and content.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kremmen. So does that mean my unit will now receive traffic data via my phone (like the cheaper/smaller S models) or, instead, it can ONLY receive data via DAB (which doesn’t function in the UK now) and Garmin are only selling the D model because in many other countries it still works?

I’m coming to Garmin after 20+ years of being a TomTom user. The only reason for the move across is TT have removed many features from their new Discover model (eg hands free calling, phone notifications, Siri/Google, etc) and everything is subscription (after 1 free year of services) where even your traffic/speed camera database (previously stored on your unit) no longer works/appears once you cease subscription.

But good traffic data is a dealbreaker for me….and if this new Garmin doesn’t have it, it’s going back.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your unit will/should receive the traffic data via your phone.

In my case it's Smartlink but newer units use MyDrive or whatever Garmin call it.

Should be easy to configure. As usual just make sure the phone and Garmin are both in discovery mode and before too long you should get a passcode to accept and away you go.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/666925

Works with the 86.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
See https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/666925

Works with the 86.

When I went to install, clicking on the App Store "button" brought me to the Google download site, and vice versa.

Someone in Garmin appears to be confused.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it does Laughing
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: