Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic switched to subscription services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic switched to subscription services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Sygic switched to subscription services Reply with quote

So Sygic has irated a lot of customers who purchased lifetime premium features as they have now moved away from that and now only offer subscriptions.

So if you want android auto or just one extra feature they used to charge seperately for, it will now cost £46 a year for it, but currently they offering 1st year for £16 or £26.

Not sure how long premium licences users had will last, but I reckon they may phase these out by saying the previous version was EOL and now you must pay.

Overall if you going to pay for a product go TomTom as only £13 a year and sygic uses TomTom maps, traffic and cameras. Otherwise go for free maps like Waze or Google
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate subscriptions and would never enrol.

Companies love them as it's a steady revenue stream but with alternatives they will soon realise they are losing customers by the bucket load.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also removed the unique selling point in my opinion of being able to o import and display your own poi sets.

I have a copy of the last version that allowed this feature which I downloaded from APK mirror but if Google maps /Waze allowed display of own poi while navigating then I would dump it altogether.

My lifetime licence still works with the old version though.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
They also removed the unique selling point in my opinion of being able to o import and display your own poi sets.

That was the reason why I downloaded and tried Sygic. Unfortunately, you never could download POIs on the iOS Sygic app despite what the website stated! I then learnt that Syic used a proprietary format for its POIs which I couldn't have used as they only had the software for Windows and not Mac.

Despite having bought lifetime premium maps for Sygic, I never use it and will now probably remove it from my iPhone. If I don't use TomTom then Google Maps works well enough.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:

My lifetime licence still works with the old version though.

Yeh I had my own imported as well, the lifetime is currently working on the newer version but nobody knows for how long, but it's their stance now if you just want one add-on it will cost you £45 a year as they will no longer sell it as a standalone add-on

Privateer wrote:
I then learnt that Syic used a proprietary format for its POIs which I couldn't have used as they only had the software for Windows and not Mac.

Despite having bought lifetime premium maps for Sygic, I never use it and will now probably remove it from my iPhone. If I don't use TomTom then Google Maps works well enough.

Regards,

Not sure if it was available on iOS but on android their is an app called rupi manager which allowed you to download any poi and create the relevant rupi file. I done this with a few of the POI#s from PGPSW and POIPlaza
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
Not sure if it was available on iOS but on android their is an app called rupi manager which allowed you to download any poi and create the relevant rupi file. I done this with a few of the POI#s from PGPSW and POIPlaza

No there is no rupi manager iOS app and I remember having conversations with the Sygic help desk saying that their website stated that the iOS version of Sygic allowed custom POIs and also asking whether a rupi app for iOS existed. In the end, I just gave it up as a bad lot and not worth the effort.

I'm happy with the TomTom iOS app, which has a subscription of £12.99 per year, which is much cheaper than Sygic.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
walkerx wrote:

No there is no rupi manager iOS app and I remember having conversations with the Sygic help desk saying that their website stated that the iOS version of Sygic allowed custom POIs and also asking whether a rupi app for iOS existed. In the end, I just gave it up as a bad lot and not worth the effort.

I'm happy with the TomTom iOS app, which has a subscription of £12.99 per year, which is much cheaper than Sygic.

Regards,

Yeh, you can't really go wrong with the TomTom app TBH, especially if they keep the price low like this, but can't believe the move by Sygic when most of the content is from TomTom anyway.

If you also download the maps for Google Maps you've got that as a backup for when TomTom fails the subscription checks
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
Yeh, you can't really go wrong with the TomTom app TBH, especially if they keep the price low like this, but can't believe the move by Sygic when most of the content is from TomTom anyway.

Yep, it looks like Sygic has shot itself in the foot.

walkerx wrote:
If you also download the maps for Google Maps you've got that as a backup for when TomTom fails the subscription checks

True and TomTom does occasionally fail the subscription checks - I run my iPhone 6s Plus (no SIM card) as the TomTom SatNav with my iPhone 12 providing the Hotspot for traffic data for the iPhone 6. I also have TomTom on my iPhone 12 and that sometimes screws up the subscription especially around the time to resubscribe - both are on the same Apple account.

Also, I think that you can load your own POIs to your Google Maps account but I need to experiment with that when I get time.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Unfortunately, you never could download POIs on the iOS Sygic app despite what the website stated! I then learnt that Syic used a proprietary format for its POIs which I couldn't have used as they only had the software for Windows and not Mac.

I have to run the RUPI convertor using WINE on my Linux system. There is possibly a similar method for MACs

I get nagged on the first start up of the day that "it is time to update" but any more and I will be having to ditch it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: