Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Norwegian POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Norwegian POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtompgpsw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Norwegian POIs Reply with quote

Is there any resources available for POI`s for Norway as PGPSW have a solitary one in the list.
Thanks
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tomtompgpsw,

You're right. There is just one single Norway POI in a single category. As you know the PocketGPSWorld POIs are submitted by individuals for the benefit of the whole PGPWS community. Unfortunately, it would seem that, for whatever reasons, very few members of the PGPWS community who live in, or visit, Norway have felt the need to submit Norweigen POIs.

You haven't said what types of POIs that you require nor what SatNav system that you have. Whilst your name is 'tomtompgpsw', one would think that you use TomTom but there are many types of TomTom devices and as you registered in 2007 it is possible that you have changed SatNav manufacturers.

Most current SatNavs will have generic POis that, whilst probably not as accurate as PGPSW ones, will at least get you into the vicinity of your destination.

You may also find Norweigen POIs on other websites.

Alternatively, if you have time, you could create your own list of POIs by using resources such as Google, Google Earth, and Google Street View.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tomtompgpsw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Robert, I still have a few old TomToms including a Go700 ( the best Satnav made imho ) and a GO910 but have fairly recently ( a few years now admittedly )been using a Garmin 2599LTMD. I also have a BMW Pronav which is excellent except for custom POI1s unfortunately. I use CA for my speedcams. I am really looking for veiwpoints and scenic rest areas or laybys mostly.
Thanks again,
Tam
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tam,

I agree about the older TomTom units, I still have my 730 and 950 somewhere (note to myself: I must go and find them) and coupled with TomTom Traffic and custom POIs they were great.

I never got on with my Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D, custom POIs are 'do-able' but fiddly and long-winded but the real kicker is the traffic, I never found it a patch on TomTom's.

Your old TomTom devices may have viewpoints, scenic rest areas, and laybys. I don't know whether your BMW will though.

I presume that you have a smartphone (either Android or iPhone) if you do then Google Maps maybe something to get used to. I don't use Google Maps myself but I've just had a play with it (iOS version) and it does seem to show the POIs that you need. The trouble with Google Maps is that you do need a decent data connection although I think that you can download some amount of maps.

I use an iPhone with iOS TomTom GO Navigation as my SatNav app, with iOS POIViewer as my POI manager (stores, amends custom POIs).

I've done a quick Google search for 'Norway SatNav POIs' and the results don't look that promising at first glance.

I can only suggest that you look at your existing SatNav devices, ensure that they have the necessary maps and see whether they have the necessary POIs that you require. Failing that, have a look at Smartphone apps (especially Google Maps) and test them before your trip to Norway.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: