Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

pcaouolte wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I moved away from TomTom when they stopped support for the PGPSW speed cameras. I won't be going back unless they reintroduce that facility.

Yes, TomTom removing custom POI support and thus the ability to show PGPSW speed cameras on the screen (with proximity alert) was a PITA! Rolling Eyes

TomTom has the best routing and Traffic IMHO.

pcaouolte wrote:
If I am going to use the phone for navigation I might as well use (free) Google maps or Waze, the traffic on either of those is quite reliable.

If you have your own custom POIs then an iOS app called POIViewer is useful. POIViewer is a custom POI manager and contains your POIs separately to your navigation app but will launch the app of your choice, such as Waze, Google Maps, TomTom, etc to navigate to your POI.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that TomTom has the best routing.

I already use POIViewer, I think that it was you who suggested it a few years ago, it is very useful with Waze and Google maps thank you.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my first testing Smartlink is only mediocre when compared to Inrix digital.

On the way to Reading Inrix was spot on showing just a roadworks zone. Smartlink showed that the M4 was closed between junctions 7 and 10, which it wasn't.

On the return journey Smartlink showed a red zone traffic jam very near the end of my route for the whole 45 minute journey time that didn't exist. Inrix correct.

So Smartlink still shows obsolete roadworks.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a strange result this morning. A section of road near to where I work is closed for resurfacing. viaMichelin have the correct section shown as closed on their web site but Inrix show a longer section of road as being closed, which included the road that I was travelling on.

Even though the Garmin was receiving traffic from SmartLink it was showing the Inrix version of the road closure.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inrix are renown for road closure errors. I've had rows with then in the past. I've sent them Local Authority closure notices and photos but they seem to ignore them.

My current dispute is the introduction of a no right turn onto the A5117 at Dunkirk(!) near Chester. They refuse to accept it, even with photos.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll continue to monitor the 2 back to back.

What I'm looking for, hopefully solved, is the old situation, about a decade ago, with a Garmin, pre-digital traffic, where either Garmin or Smartlink had a 200 'alert' limit.

What I found was that when I had 200 sets of local roadworks then I got no yellow or red traffic alerts because they were essentially frozen out, too low down the pecking list. When I went into Smsrtlink traffic, used the list function, there were exactly 200 entries, all roadworks.
When I got out to Surrey and did the same trick there were less than 200 showing and some of them were now red and/or yellow traffic alerts.

At that time there were dozens and dozens of obsolete roadworks. I had one set of 5 day roadworks on the M4 that were still showing active 6 months later, maybe longer, because I got a new Garmin with digital traffic.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin is good for live traffic, probably based around queues, volume and speed; but pretty useless for roadworks, closures and mandatory diversions.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching the TT forum and some posts are putting me right off them with quite a few posted failures requiring a device reset.

If I did go TT Go Premium then it seems the onboard Sim only uses 2G which is an old tech and as some have posted may be dropped = needs a switch to a TT smartphone link setting up anyway.

I'm still not happy with the chunky looking TT devices so it's looking like I'll stick with my Garmin and use Smartphone Link even though it's not as good as receiving through the TA cable in my current comparison tests. The smartlink traffic holds onto roadworks and road closures well beyond the road has cleared or opened whereas the Inrix digital seems to clear them quite quick.

Still comparing .......

Also, the Garmin 61 is actually a 7" screen.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sort of post that is putting me off TT:

Quote:
Just an update. After the device failed yet again TomTom have accepted it is in need of repair.
Just sent it off to the repair centre in Romania via UPS
Anybody got any idea how long it will be away for?
Having to fire up my trusted Go 1000 Live for the time being.
Gonna ask TomTom for complimentary Live services for the inconvenience.

Romania !!!
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only just seen this post regarding the digital traffic

I've not really used my garmin device for a while, but when I did use it the smartphone linkage was poor and the cameras within the app overrode what you got on the garmin unit itself.

So if you pay for camera subscription on the device it will get overwritten by the ones on the app and if you have poor signal or the app doesn't pick up the cameras you don't get them on the device, you loose both traffic and cameras

TomTom won't be getting rid of Inrix, so this is definitely a Garmin issue.

If you have an old mobile phone, then use the TT app on that, you can still use the PGPSW camera alerts using the PGPSW app or the SpeedAlert app.

Also if running Android Auto, TomTom have released Amigo in beta with Android Auto support

And when I had an issue with my older TomTom it had to go to Netherlands and was only about 10 days overall in turn around, with TomTom paying the postage costs
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching the TT forum for ages and the failed traffic reports are numerous.

From what I can tell the built in sim uses the almost obsolete 2G network and is very flaky in places. The lesser units use your phone like Smartlink.

There also seem to be a fair amount of traffic failures because of TT account failures that have to be reset on request. During Covid resets are slow which is causing more problems.

I'll use Smartlink for a while on my DS61 and see how it goes. I have been testing Smartlink on my 2599 and it doesn't always auto connect which is a pain.

As far as Inrix is concerned, they are still in business, it's the DAB delivery methodology that is being terminated, no idea why.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i've got android auto working on my car now, i'm not using the pnd's that much

i'm waiting for tomtom to release their app onto aa, sygic have but it unusable and tomtom have released amigo
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPhone and not an Android.

walkerx wrote:
i'm waiting for tomtom to release their app onto aa, sygic have but it unusable

I don't have a radio in any of our vehicles that is Android Auto or iOS Car Play compatible. From what I've read on the TomTom iOS forums about Car Play there is still a lot of things to get right - a bit like TomTom GO itself! I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom GO on Android Auto is the same.

walkerx wrote:
and tomtom have released amigo

Could anybody tell me the point of TomTom Amigo? Why has TomTom wasted resources on Android/iOS Amigo when they should be concentrating on getting Android/iOS GO Mobile better?
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amigo started as camera only app for free but seems to be progressing to navigation as well

it is useful for users who don't want tomtom navigation app and instead use waze or google maps as
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is why Garmin now have 2 apps.

Smartlink
Drive

Smartlink for pre 2020 PND's and Drive for 2020+

What's the difference ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: