Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Honda in-dash sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Honda in-dash sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS2KOHC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Honda in-dash sat nav Reply with quote

Would some kind person please be able to tell me using words which I as a still computer/internet layman (and one who cannot do computer-speak) could expect to understand with ease just why although my Pocket GPS World downloads of the UK and European speed camera databases which I then transfer using the POI Loader to an SD card for insertion into my Garmin 2597 sat nav unit have always (or at least since I discovered I had to do something (actual process now forgotten) to enable voice warnings) worked perfectly well in the “windscreen” item yet when I make a similar download and transfer to a memory stick (already containing the relevant map updates) which I then insert into the USB slot in my lately-purchased UK market 2019 Honda CR-V, I suspect that the in-dash sat nav does not even recognise the existence of the camera database which is stored upon it, let alone permit of its use?
I have looked here (and generally) for some answers but without success (likely my ignorance at work once again), and (perhaps not having understood properly what I have read) although I have spoken to Garmin (who have been pleasant enough) I have learned nothing there which has assisted me in a practical manner.
It is almost certainly just me, but anything helpful will thus be most gratefully received.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's deffo not you mate. Honda have made it pretty damn difficult to put user POIs on the unit other than by manual input.
I have a 2017 Prestige and putting the PGPSW (or any other) database is a right pain in the butt as you have to go through the complete map update routine.

As well as that, unless you reset the satnav every time you want the full Monty of the speedcam warnings. This of course resets other stuff that you might have programmed in.

However, having said all that, without the reset every time, the speedcam Icons show on the map display all the time.

If you are not too daunted by what I just said, I will dig out a link to exactly what you have to do to install them, but it's best to run them through Kremmens CSV to GPX converter first first to tag on spoken voice and sensible Icons.
RS2KOHC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that, and I shall be glad of further help when you are able, please. Doubtless you will also be kind enough to let me know in detail of how to access and thereafter use the file converter which you mention.
In case it matters, I should, however, just add that, so far as I am aware, I currently do not currently see even the icons on the in-car sat nav screen.
But althouth very ignorant of the technicalities of these matters, I do like to think of myself as possessing a certain degree of persistence!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS2KOHC wrote:

In case it matters, I should, however, just add that, so far as I am aware, I currently do not currently see even the icons on the in-car sat nav screen.
Correct. You will not see any third party POIs, only the built in ones. As I said above, you have to go through the motions of completely updating the maps with the added POI file on the Honda version of Garmin, you cannot just 'add a few POIs'.

Here's a bit of light reading on Kremmen's CSV to GPX that you really need to run otherwise the h=Honda puts up a nondescript ico and a beep. I'll look up the other info, but it's on a different website, but it won't be before tomorrow at the earliest.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most manufacturers now make it either impossible or very difficult to add speed camera info. These are different to normal POI's that are just single favourites to navigate to.

The only easy way to be warned of cameras is to use a Garmin SatNav or the PGPSW database on a phone.

If the CRV is the same as my Civic then you can link your phone to your car headunit and have the camera positions and speed fed through the CRV headunit sound system. This solution also has the bonus of being directional so you only get alerted to cameras trapping your direction of travel.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those are by a country mile the easiest ways K.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: