Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New tomtom go premium X
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New tomtom go premium X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: New tomtom go premium X Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have finally had to ditch my tomtom go live 950 after nearly 9 years though still works ok. Bought a tomtom go premium x, nice big 6" screen.
My question... how do I transfer poi's and favorites to it? Tomtom home will copy them to my computer but plugging my premium in to the computer I cannot see the files from it to copy my files over.
Any ideas anyone please?
Regards, Derrick.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here:

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24851
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,Thanks for reply but I had already looked at that before posting.
As my go live 950 uses Home for its interface I did within Home copy poi's and favorite to my computer through the program but where? it doesn't tell you where. Also even if I find them then how do I get them up on to My Drive and to send across to my premium x?
Also I have tried to read the files on my premium x but it doesn't connect to read them like on my 950 live. Is there any way I can so I could just copy them over in to the correct file structure?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DERRICK wrote:
Hi,Thanks for reply but I had already looked at that before posting.
As my go live 950 uses Home for its interface I did within Home copy poi's and favorite to my computer through the program but where? it doesn't tell you where. Also even if I find them then how do I get them up on to My Drive and to send across to my premium x?
Also I have tried to read the files on my premium x but it doesn't connect to read them like on my 950 live. Is there any way I can so I could just copy them over in to the correct file structure?

Basically the answer to your question(s) is "can't be done". The ONLY way to access these newer devices (since 2010) is via MyDrive which TT developed to stop certain naughty people from buying a map or speedcams/premium voices etc (which are ALL single device licensed) & copying them to other devices)

There are actually plenty of forums out there where you can still get maps/speedcams etc for you trusty 950 FOR FREE!
If possible, get you money back on the new one & search around for these forums Wink
gasman40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done because I have done it but can't remember exactly how. I do remember importing into MY Drive and then sharing across all devices. If I remember how I'll post back. but I just wanted to dispel the can't be done.
gasman40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did it.
Save files from old TomTom to computer
Open MyDrive in browser and Log In using your TT login
Go to MY Places and expand (to right)
At top choose POI Files (not Favorites which is default) and at bottom of that window choose Import POI Files
In next window choose Select File.
Navigate to previously saved file and follow instructions from there on.
Its a faff but can be done. I seem to remember that I was able to load several file in one go but can't yet remember that bit . Hope this helps someone as it bothered me that all my saved favorite locations etc would be lost and I had built up quite a lot. The biggest disappointment which I was aware of long before purchase of my premium x is that you can't use this sites camera warnings on it but my phone can.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasman40 wrote:
Hope this helps someone as it bothered me that all my saved favorite locations etc would be lost and I had built up quite a lot.

You should never use favourites to permanently store your locations as the favourites can become corrupted. It's best to copy/transfer your locations from favourites to an .ov2 file.

If you have a Windows machine, you can extract your favourites from the MapSettings.cfg file in the map folder by using PoiEdit 2007. NB this only works for TomTom PNDs that use TT Home.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gasman40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert
that's what I had done so it was easy to transfer to my premium x. I always had a backup up of the mapsettings folder itself too. Can't do the same now though.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gasman40,

gasman40 wrote:
that's what I had done so it was easy to transfer to my premium x.

Yes, I was guessing that you had. The above was more for DERRICK's benefit as there was no mention of PoiEdit in this thread. I believe that PoiEdit is the only software that can extract favourites from the MapSettings.cfg file. Unfortley PoiEdit is only available for Windows, so if you have a Mac then you're out of luck! Crying or Very sad

gasman40 wrote:
I always had a backup up of the mapsettings folder itself too. Can't do the same now though.

That's true for all PNDs that use MyDrive.

I moved from the GO Live 950 to TomTom Navigation iOS app on the iPhone. At this point, I started to keep all of my POIs in MS Excel spreadsheets as master files. I then convert them to .csv for Garmin or .ov2 for the POIViwer iOS app which can send a POI's location to the TomTom iOS app. It's a bit long-winded (using POIViwer with TomTom app) but it works and you get used to it.

Unfortunately, you can't send POI .ov2 files to TomTom Navigation iOS app using MyDrive like you can with the PNDs.

By the way, what do you think of the TomTom GO Premium X PND?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gasman40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert
Its a nice large screen but the maps don't seem as detailed and you dont have a choice of colour schemes. The integration with my phone works well. As with my TT go app the user interface is not intuitive. The routing is pretty much tts standard and I wish it would not route me off an A road just to rejoin 1 min later to save 10 seconds. I love the magnetic powered mount. Just wish it had 3rd party POIs
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasman40 wrote:
Its a nice large screen but the maps don't seem as detailed

When the mapping div of TomTom build a map they have to reduce resolution to suit the device. No point having detail that won't show on a given size of screen, and detail requires space on the memory/SD card. You see the result in how smooth a curve in the road displays, ie how many small straight line segments are used. In TomTom's the space restriction always meant less detail than can be resolved on the display. But for the new Go series the map resolution has been REDUCED from than used on the 510 - 930 models, even though most of those were 2GB systems vs the much larger new devices. And the larger screen makes it look even worse. I'd wager that the near-useless addition of "3-D" building images are the culprit - you know those things that get in your way of reading the street names on the map when you're in a strange to you city!

gasman40 wrote:
and you don't have a choice of colour schemes.

Worse the default screen uses 'black' for the fill of the highlighted route AS WELL as 'black' for the edges of roads. So if you have adjacent multi-lane roads, eg splitters and feeders on major highways, or narrow concrete dividers, then there is no way (beyond guesswork) to figure out which road/lane you need as everything is just one big wide black line covering a large part of the screen. Idiotic.

gasman40 wrote:
The routing is pretty much tts standard and I wish it would not route me off an A road just to rejoin 1 min later to save 10 seconds.

Agreed if using Fastest (or Shortest) but Eco Mode worked well on all models up to this one - in most cases - but I've yet to find a route which works in Eco Mode on the new one. It will happily send you hundreds of miles on 'A' roads through towns when a motorway is clearly available.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s no way I’d willingly move from a TomTom GO 950 to a TomTom GO Premium X.
I know the X has a larger screen and free lifetime maps, but you’d be better switching to their Android offering and running it on a tablet (if you need a big screen).
Here’s my story (if you’re bored during the lockdown)....
After my GO 910s were made impractical (having to keep applying the latest QuickGPSfix) by the WNRO bug, there were no current models offered by TomTom that had anywhere near the features of the old models and ones that I needed.
As I frequently drive pre planned routes thousands of miles across Europe I needed the itinerary function, a remote and RDS-TMC.
All the new models use the MyDrive app and are crippled when compared with the older models.
So I quickly upgraded to a pair of immaculate TomTom GO 940s off eBay (they were going for such low prices at the time)... probably the best TomTom ever released and I love them!
Fortunately I'd already picked up a brand new compatible RDS-TMC receiver and Bluetooth remote at a car boot a few years before for £1 (too cheap even though they were of no use at the time) so I could quickly replace my GO 910 setup with like for like before I set off for another 3000 mile trip.
Even the mapconfig files, splash screens and themes etc from the 910 can be copied straight across to the 940, so no piddling about with setting them back up as I have multiple configs (I switch between them depending where in Europe I’m driving.) as I use loads of POI files.
I was able to customise and tweak the 940s even more than my trusty old 910s which is great, my only minor gripe is I wish there was a way to hide the unused LIVE Mobile Network icon (I’m using RDS-TMC with a custom mctx file that’s spot-on in every country with the service... even the UK) that floats around in the bottom-left of the navigation screen.
Once TomTom kills off all the older devices (which would have to include the Carminat) I’ll have to think hard where I next spend my money... perhaps TomTom may have rethought their devices by them due to the COVID-19 pandemic and people driving rather than flying.
P.S. There’s a firmware upgrade for SiRFstarIII devices like the GO X10 range etc that fixes the WNRO issue, but as I no longer use them I’ve not tested it.... perhaps if I get bored one day.
P.P.S. Is the newsletter a thing of the past as I’ve not seen one since December 2019?
P.P.P.S If anyone wants the “super” mctx file for the X40 & X50 range (and possible others) which gives you access to all RDS-TMC services in all countries that supports it or the firmware upgrade for the SiRFstarIII devices, then give me a shout.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
So I quickly upgraded to a pair of immaculate TomTom GO 940s off eBay (they were going for such low prices at the time)... probably the best TomTom ever released and I love them!

I've just ordered a used 940 from Amazon. I've got an ex920 remote (the most important accessory TT ever sold/provided). Does TT still "support" the 940? - all I care about is being able to get maps (my 520 subscription has expired and can't be renewed).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DeLorean wrote:

I've just ordered a used 940 from Amazon. I've got an ex920 remote (the most important accessory TT ever sold/provided). Does TT still "support" the 940? - all I care about is being able to get maps (my 520 subscription has expired and can't be renewed).

Yep, the TomTom 940 and 950 are still fully supported by TomTom Very Happy
I believe these are the last legacy Navcore PNDs that are still supported, all other models have been retired.
They are very similar to architecture of the Carminat (built into Renaults) which are also still supported.
Surprisingly newer versions like the VIA and newer GO series were also dropped citing lack of storage and CPU power as the reason for a mass cull of devices.
The 940 was the most feature packed TomTom ever produced.
The later X50 devices were basically de-featured versions of the X40 range and showed the direction TomTom were moving in Sad
P.S. All the legacy bluetooth remotes are identical, just the exterior colours were changed.

Last edited by DeLorean on Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 am; edited 3 times in total
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DeLorean wrote:

For now, yes. see https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1014468/serial-numbers-uk-devices-names

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: