Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedtrap Alert for Android (Split from CamerAlert Thread re
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedtrap Alert for Android (Split from CamerAlert Thread re
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been participating in this thread as the idea of cobbling round CA by using some other app does not appeal. Indeed, I have been surprised that PGPSW has tolerated it as it seems like some sort of competition, or plagiarisation or piracy of CA.

However, I have to comment that M4 J10 has been going wrong for some time and last time I came back through there on New Year's Eve, I believe I amended 198818 to MID camera because, although it's an actual and therefore END camera, it was cancelling av specs on the main carriageway because it was well within the arc of distance and heading to act on main carriageway running. Of course, normally CA does not display Exitspecs, so I didn't realise it was them which were jiggering up the normal carriageway.

I believe that Exitspecs 191814/815/816 are all wrongly placed and come well within the normal arcs of tolerance to cancel main carrigeway running. When I occasionally ask for an Exitspecs in such circumstances, I always ask for it well outside the reach of main carriageway and some distance along the side exit road. Those three are very wrong for CA and voluntarily cobbling them about in order to juggle an app which is messing with CA seems to me a poor idea. Simply locate them well up/down the 308M/404M - it doesn't matter if they activate a bit late for people leaving at this junction, but it DOES matter for ordinary users going about their journeys along the M4.

I have always been somewhat reluctant to call for exitspecs as in my experience I have found MaFt well able and competent to add them when appropriate.

Sadly, with CA being so bad on iOS, I have been unable to do my previous acts of submitting a standout (160mph) false camera with voice note to explain what I was doing. But I feel everybody would be far better engaged by pressing PGPSW to get CA sorted out, rather than filling dozens of pages of workarounds.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indeed, I have been surprised that PGPSW has tolerated it as it seems like some sort of competition, or plagiarisation or piracy of CA.

Given that the writer of the app actively promotes subscriptions to the PGPSW database, I'm surprised at your comment. I would have thought that new subs are more valuable than the revenue from the sale of the app as its ongoing.

Based on this line of thought, there should only be one word processing system in existence, Wordstar!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Quote:
Indeed, I have been surprised that PGPSW has tolerated it as it seems like some sort of competition, or plagiarisation or piracy of CA.

Given that the writer of the app actively promotes subscriptions to the PGPSW database, I'm surprised at your comment. I would have thought that new subs are more valuable than the revenue from the sale of the app as its ongoing.

Based on this line of thought, there should only be one word processing system in existence, Wordstar!

From very brief reading of this thread, I do believe the app MUST obtain somebody else's database, can't run without it (and indeed does state pgpsw is best). It doesn't change my opinion. I suspect Apple might have a similar opinion if somebody developed an app that lets you run Android apps on an iPhone.

And by the way, the only word processor should be Ami Pro.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we started promoting this app, due to CA refusing to work on Samsungs with Android 10, we did get MaFt's permission.

His response was along the lines that as CA is free then there is no competition.

I agree that CA needs attention but it's looking unlikely in the short term, leaving us to look elsewhere, and STA is the best of the bunch and has a responsive developer.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said that man. It appears that there has been no developments on CA for a number of years now and no response from the developers either.
On the other hand STA (should change that abbreviation as it sounds too much like STD). On the other hand STA is really good, under fine detail development, and more to the point, Leo listens to what people say and is actively looking to make his program better.
And just to clarify any confusion that participants may have, CA is free. It's the access to the database that the subs are for. So PGPSW will not lose any revenue by users switching to STA and may indeed increase revenue when people realise that it is at least as good as CA and it actually works on the latest Android devices which CA doesn't with no feedback g=from the developers to indicate whether it ever will.
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo,

Firstly, thanks for making an excellent app! I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, since Cameralert no longer works with the latest Samsung phones. I liked it enough to pay for the full version Smile

A couple of observations:

1. Please add my vote to the (semi)automatic database update feature request.

2. The app sometimes warns of cameras that are not on the actual road. The same cameras are not warned by Cameralert using its default degree settings. I have installed the map data.

3. The auto start/stop when using Bluetooth seems patchy. I've ticked the boxes in the settings for both my cars, but it's 50/50 as to whether the app launches or not. Remembering to manually launch and close the app is a pain. I'm using Android Auto - the Cameralert option of "launch when car mode detected" worked perfectly.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited by nhalliday on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in the way that STA is developing into THE Android app for running the PGPSW camera database. However, as an iPhone user I can't try STA. Sad

Leo_A wrote:
I've just made a thing that I planned earlier, but did not. To build a route from specs to specs and to guide a car along this route with reliable detection of exiting av zone.

I know that the above refers directly to dealing with SPECS but it appears to show that STA knows which road that it's on, therefore determining whether a nearby camera is on the same road and thus a threat or not to reduce false warnings. Is this correct?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After speaking with "M8" he informs me that my issue with Specs end cams may be solved if I download the UK map data, which I hadn't done. I didn't think I needed it as I just display the speedo.

The app can then make an intelligent guess that I've left a Specs road and may turn it off earlier.

= map downloaded and ready to roll for my next trip later this week.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say I'm on a motorway travelling at 70mph but there's a nearby road running parallel with a speed camera (either fixed or mobile) set at 30mph in the same direction that I'm travelling. At the moment I get a warning from CamerAlert that I'm exceeding the speed limit. Would STA be intelligent enough to realise this (once the appropriate map has been loaded)?

What map data does STA use?
How large is the UK map data?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the map data loaded, you also get speed limit warnings, and some other stuff, but the speed limit warning seems a bit patchy in operation, possibly to do with lack of data in the road database in some instances.
I must do some more investigation. For instance, it doesn't warn me when going from a 30 to 40 zone (although the limit icon is displayed) but does warn when that zone reduces back down to 30MPH.
This specific one is starting at about 50.84551, 0.48698 in a 30 zone and driving west.
There is a 40 zone starting at 50.84638, 0.48298 (icon on STA map) that ends at 50.84582, 0.47126 (icon on STA map). No warning for going into the 40, but warning of impending 30 zone.
Might be settings, but not sure. Will have to check and report back
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nhalliday wrote:
Hi Leo,
1. Please add my vote to the (semi)automatic database update feature request.

2. The app sometimes warns of cameras that are not on the actual road. The same cameras are not warned by Cameralert using its default degree settings. I have installed the map data.

3. The auto start/stop when using Bluetooth seems patchy. I've ticked the boxes in the settings for both my cars, but it's 50/50 as to whether the app launches or not. Remembering to manually launch and close the app is a pain. I'm using Android Auto - the Cameralert option of "launch when car mode detected" worked perfectly.

1. This not depends on me. URL is necessary for auto-updates, but there is no URL )

2. Ok, I understood. I'll continue about this in next messages.

3. Currently, the app allows only one BT-device for auto start/stop when connected with. Ok about "car mode".
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Good point, I wonder why 198818 isn't an end camera ?

Because it's heading is too close to the main carriageway so it is marked as a MIDDLE with en EXITSPECS in place. Otherwise people staying on the main carriageway would have their average speed cancelled.

There are lots of cameras set up like this Very Happy

Kremmen wrote:
I'll report 198818 as an end cam.

I shall duly ignore it Wink Laughing Out Loud

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already rejected it this morning Very Happy

I realised a few hours later
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have not been participating in this thread as the idea of cobbling round CA by using some other app does not appeal. Indeed, I have been surprised that PGPSW has tolerated it as it seems like some sort of competition, or plagiarisation or piracy of CA.

Tghis isn;t a hack, competition or plagiarism. It is basicaly a 'device' that can use our database. No different to installing the database onto a Garmin, instead it's installed onto a phone. It still requires a subscription and can still be traced if shared.

DennisN wrote:
I believe that Exitspecs 191814/815/816 are all wrongly placed and come well within the normal arcs of tolerance to cancel main carrigeway running.

I've tweaked 191814
191815 has a direction of 270 degrees so will not affect the main carriageway
191816 has a direction of 10 degrees so will not affect the main carriageway

MaFt
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I know that the above refers directly to dealing with SPECS but it appears to show that STA knows which road that it's on, therefore determining whether a nearby camera is on the same road and thus a threat or not to reduce false warnings. Is this correct?

No, currently the app doesn't use map data to reduce false warnings.
However, it is possible to make this improvement with little efforts for some easy cases.

This picture demonstrates easy cases. This is 30 mph cam and 70 mph motorway. The camera partially covers the motorway and false warning is possible there even with 15 seconds time to camera (length of rectangle here is 1/2 mi). Width of rectangle is 164 yds (the app uses this basic width for detection). When a camera stand far from the road we're driving, but 'covers' it due to its orientation and the road's shape, it is easy.

This picture demonstrates the ultimate case when heavy efforts required or impossible at all. Distances between tracks are within GPS accuracy and it is hard to determine reliably where exactly we are moving.

Privateer wrote:

What map data does STA use?
How large is the UK map data?

OpenStreetMaps. Only motorways, trunks, primary, secondary, and tertiary roads. No small roads.

Download size around 80 Mb (zip), then around 170 Mb on storage. [/url]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 10 of 41

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation

CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
22.034 (27 Mar 24)

WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now

CamerAlert Apps

iOS QR Code

Android QR Code

© Terms & Privacy

GPS Shopping