Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Spoofing, A New Type Of Attack Has Been Detected
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Spoofing, A New Type Of Attack Has Been Detected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: GPS Spoofing, A New Type Of Attack Has Been Detected Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A worrying new GPS Spoofing method has been detected being used in Shanghai, China and it has everyone worried. Nobody knows who is behind the attacks but the suspicion is the technology is so sophisticated that it must be state sponsored.

The first signs of an issue began when ship crews, manoeuvring their vessels in the congested waterways of Shanghai port observed other ship traffic, supposedly ahead of them in the shipping lane, disappearing from their navigation displays only to reappear a minute or so later apparently tied up at the dockside.

Now new research has revealed that thousands of vessels have been victim of this new type of spoofing and the most worrying aspect is experts have no idea how it is being done. It's one thing to jam a GPS signal, but spoofing a signal in this way is much more difficult.

Source: technologyreview.com

email icon

Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Needs encryption Reply with quote

This is why the commercial part of the Galileo system is encrypted.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mooi1uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: spoof GPS Reply with quote

So what's the point of it then, why is it worrying?
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"disappearing from their navigation displays only to reappear a minute or so later apparently tied up at the dockside."
I guess they've never used Flightradar24 Laughing
Sounds like simple jamming to me... blurting a high-powered signal over the L1 & L2 frequencies.
Many believe it's the Chinese government behind the spoof and it's been going on for a year... sounds logical to spoof your own ports Laughing
michaeldarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching MarineTraffic for Shanghai port is already crazy enough without added spoofing.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-12.0/centery:25.0/zoom:4
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this article is nothing to do with GPS/GLONASS/Baidou/Galileo spoofing. If spoofed ships appear on a screen then that data is coming from somewhere for sure but not a GPS type system. All GPS systems allow is to calculate your own position.

I thought this site was better informed.

This is more like someone spoofing aircraft locations on FlightRadar24 that do not exist - now that could be spoofed.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
All GPS systems allow is to calculate your own position.

Ships report their positions to other ships etc. So if the GPS signals they're detecting have been spoofed then their location will be incorrect. These incorrect locations will be shared with maritime monitors and other ships.

You can't use GPS for accurate location if the GPS signal being received has been tampered with.

rtj70 wrote:

OK......
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
Better than you in this particular instance I feel. Shocked Laughing
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is more likely the ship is reporting the wrong location rather than it being because GPS is spoofed. Remember the location is calculated from the time sent from dozens of satellites (not just GPS but also GLONASS, Baidou and now Galileo).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
I think it is more likely the ship is reporting the wrong location rather than it being because GPS is spoofed. Remember the location is calculated from the time sent from dozens of satellites (not just GPS but also GLONASS, Baidou and now Galileo).

So you're saying that pretty much every single ship that happens to pass through that stretch has a broken GPS receiver that places them within the "circle" and that every single runner using a smartphone or watch to log their tracks has a faulty GPS that is only affected in that area?

Can I ask, have you actually read the article and the original source?
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saying that the spoofing could be because another source is sending the erroneous locations for ships, i.e. the global positioning system is not spoofed but the data being sent between ships is.

If you compare to how FlightRadar24 works, I could have a receiver getting the positions of aircraft and then instead of relaying that data I have modified the software to report a false position.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
I am saying that the spoofing could be because another source is sending the erroneous locations for ships, i.e. the global positioning system is not spoofed but the data being sent between ships is.

If you compare to how FlightRadar24 works, I could have a receiver getting the positions of aircraft and then instead of relaying that data I have modified the software to report a false position.

But what about the runners?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: