Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shires999 wrote:
the new TT's have lifetime maps and traffic so could probably get my money back in a few years

I'm afraid the idea of recouping the cost holds no attraction whatsoever for me. I would willingly go back to paying the high prices TT used to charge for top end devices if only they'd bring back their performance and features. Let's face it, my built in device is a VERY expensive optional extra to think of recouping and yet it is not a patch on the older NAV 2 devices. There is a hack to get into my Renault R-Link TomTom, so I can have my own cursor, PGPSW cameras and my own camera warning voices (recorded by grandchildren about 15 years ago).

Anybody remember the heady days when we did our own splash screens, voices, POIs and you name it? The hackers and pirates caused TT to redesign their systems to prevent access in order to end map piracy and what a job they did of it by combining that with chucking out all the good things about TT devices! TBH, I wouldn't be surprised to hear they have lost as much income from dissatisfied existing customers as they were losing to the pirates - how many of us would recommend TT devices as enthusiastically today, as we used to back in the good old days?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
- how many of us would recommend TT devices as enthusiastically today, as we used to back in the good old days?

Silence came the deafening reply!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
DennisN wrote:
- how many of us would recommend TT devices as enthusiastically today, as we used to back in the good old days?

Silence came the deafening reply!

I'll silently second that Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I'll silently second that Sad

I'll silently third that! Laughing

DennisN wrote:
The hackers and pirates caused TT to redesign their systems to prevent access in order to end map piracy and what a job they did of it by combining that with chucking out all the good things about TT devices!

I've never thought that it was the hackers and pirates that caused TomTom to tighten down access to their maps for things such as custom POIs - I thought that it was because PGPSW was much better at speed cameras and TomTom wanted to take over speed camera data as well, instead of concentrating on maps and software and leaving PGPSW to concentrate on speed cameras! Evil or Very Mad

If hackers and pirates were the reason that TomTom tighten down access to their maps the surely TomTom could have done it in a way to allow us to still have all the functionality whilst keeping the pirates at bay?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I believe they did it to combat piracy. The easy way was to simply shut down access by using some sort of proprietary operating system.

Mike Alder once explained to me that a far better way would have been to require logging each time you switch on - the details were beyond my comprehension, but he believed far better than shutting off access. TomTom didn't go for it, sad to say, and we are stuck with no access, no customisation.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: