Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Don't Like Color Firmware Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Like Color Firmware Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Don't Like Color Firmware Update Reply with quote

I've downloaded the new firmware update from the Magellan website (going from [I think] 4.02 to the new 5.34) for my Color but I don't think I like it. Sad

I gained some color and have faster scrolling through the menus but lost a couple of things that I really liked:

1. I use Mapsend Streets & Destinations but now I can only see secondary roads at the .40 mile scale (yeah, I'm US) or lower. I used to be able to see them while viewing a bigger picture.

2. Under the old system a GOTO route was shown by a thick black line that stretched from wherever my current position is to the goal. Now I have a double red line that's fixed from the point I started to the goal. When my current position is too far to one side I lose sight of the route line.

I don't know if it's even possible to go back to the original firmware version but before trying to do so thought I'd ask if anyone knows the full extent of the changes. Maybe there are enough good points to make it worthwhile. So:

Does anyone know about the changes?

If I want to, can I go back to the earlier firmware version (and how)?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Alf.
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the same questions to Magellan, not expecting a rapid answer, but I got one so I'll share it here:

Dear Magellan Customer

We are working on have all of the info on the web soon but for now here are a few main changes

4.06 to 5.12 was mainly for the support of our new Directroute software and supporting newer date coded sandisk cards

5.12 to 5.34 for the newest Directroute Europe software also enhancement to address search when using the Directroute software

Its possible to go back but we do not recommend it or have older versions available

Thank You for choosing Magellan.

FB

Technical Support Engineer
960 Overland Ct
San Dimas CA. 91773
(800)707-9971
(909)394-5000

Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I'm stuck with the changes.

Alf
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I may finally have the answer to this one. Although I've had my USA Streets & Destinations software for awhile I just now realized that it included a separate CD called Firmware Update that must be really old because the "update" is version 4.02, just what I was looking for!

I'm supposing that I can download version 4.02 into the GPS from the CD, replacing what's in there. And later, if I decide I really do like the newer (5.34) version better, I can reload it from the Magellan website like I did before. But I'm a little nervous about switching things back and forth like that.

Does anyone know if there are pitfalls in this that I'm not aware of? Can I really switch from later version to early version and back again without causing problems?

Thank you for any opinions and insights.

Alf
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the matter.

I also sent the question to Magellan and got a reply back that it was OK to revert back to the 4.02. Somewhat confusingly, they also told me that I shouldn't even be using version 5.34 with Streets & Destinations. I didn't get that impression from the website when I upgraded. It just told me that 5.34 was the latest firmware for the Meridian Color, which implied that I should download it immediately.

Whatever the case, I'm going back to version 4.02.

Alf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: