Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The end of an era
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of an era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: The end of an era Reply with quote

The imminent release of maps v1025 was to be the last I would get for my Nav2 GO520, the end of my craftily extended Map Update Service.

I intended to carry on using it afterwards until it seemed to be ridiculously out of date, but it has been wearing out faster than me - screen calibration gone completely to pot, despite all my efforts to recalibrate it, so I could only operate it by using my remote control. But recently (for a few months) it has been becoming less and less responsive to the power switch - took ages to switch on and similarly to switch off, sometimes when it did switch off, it went into restart mode and sat there displaying all the specifications or legal stuff etc.

Now, it simply will not switch on at all.

Farewell sweet 520, you have served me well for however many years now, your only failing was that you didn't have HD Traffic. Apart from that, you have been my life saver, better than my GO6200 and my built in R-Link. I shall probably leave the ring marks on my windscreen in your memory.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly sad day.
Sad

My condolences, Dennis.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitiser screens are dirt cheap. I replaced the screen on my TomTom One v1 last year and it only cost £4.50

My subscription runs to November 2019, so I'm looking to use it well into 2020. It'll be a sad day when I have to replace it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:
I replaced the screen on my TomTom One v1
Sadly, unlike you, I am limited by my lack of ability!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we send the flowers
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Where do we send the flowers

Donations in lieu of flowers can be sent directly to my bank account... Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to say, no flowers please, donations to MHF.

johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad day indeed and I can relate to nursing an older device for as long as possible and the similar strategies (from your photos):

* buy replacement mount
* buy bluetooth remote control
* have a stash of help documents from internet covering everything from battery replacement, cal.txt screen calibration, reset options etc
* Access to a PPC Mac that can still run the clear flash tool.
* buy map updates and live services into the future, not knowing when TT will drop the axe on new purchases

Continuing to soldier on despite the reboots mid journey and tactical drum roll resets when it becomes unresponsive.....

RIP Go520 - he served you well.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Lazarus moment. This latest map was to be the final fling of my Map Update Service, so with an hour or more for my (top of the range, hah hah) GO6200 to download and install it, I actually succeeded in getting the 520 to start. The whole process took all of the 6200’s hour because Home misbehaved and had to be reinstalled on the Win 7 laptop (failed) then on my Mac, but eventually succeeded. I tried so hard because I didn’t like the idea of not picking up the last update. I don’t know whether I shall try taking it out because I can’t afford the time to get it switched on, but at least I managed to squeeze the last drop of update out of TomTom!

I’ve known all along what features the 520 has over the new improved models, but the last few days have really rubbed it in and I’m having to resort to other fixes to get similar results.

entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis ... PM sent Smile
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I had a Lazarus moment. This latest map was to be the final fling of my Map Update Service, so with an hour or more for my (top of the range, hah hah) GO6200 to download and install it, I actually succeeded in getting the 520 to start. The whole process took all of the 6200’s hour because Home misbehaved and had to be reinstalled on the Win 7 laptop (failed) then on my Mac, but eventually succeeded. I tried so hard because I didn’t like the idea of not picking up the last update. I don’t know whether I shall try taking it out because I can’t afford the time to get it switched on, but at least I managed to squeeze the last drop of update out of TomTom!

I’ve known all along what features the 520 has over the new improved models, but the last few days have really rubbed it in and I’m having to resort to other fixes to get similar results.

I too have had to say a goodbye to my GO910 which I have looked after for many years but due to death sentence delivered by TomTom after 6 th April 2019 it will become a book end and now without a satnav will be going to cancel speed camera sub, these speed camera's really saved my bacon many a times
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be TT's strategy to sell more units. Render older units obsolete even though they can still handle the newer larger maps.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTekweni wrote:
I too have had to say a goodbye to my GO910 which I have looked after for many years but due to death sentence delivered by TomTom after 6 th April 2019 it will become a book end and now without a satnav will be going to cancel speed camera sub, these speed camera's really saved my bacon many a times
Has Home not offered an update to the software? It did for my GO520. Sad really, my GO520 has an SD slot and I've been running it on a 16GB card for years, no memory problem there.

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Has Home not offered an update to the software? It did for my GO520. Sad really, my GO520 has an SD slot and I've been running it on a 16GB card for years, no memory problem there.

Sadly, because the 910 officially run the much older 7.903 navcore TT won't bother as they're only (apparently) upgrading the later 8.842 to 8.843 and 9.540 to 9.541 navcore/devices:-
VERSION 8.843
Released on 23 January 2019 This update applies to: Carminat TomTom

VERSION 9.541
Released on 19 December 2018 This update applies to: XXL Classic, ONE IQ Routes, XL IQ Routes, XL IQR2 / XL Classic, GO 750, GO 750 LIVE, GO 950, GO 950 LIVE, GO 540 LIVE, GO 740 LIVE, GO 940 LIVE, GO 530, GO 630, GO 730, GO 930, GO 720, GO 520, GO 920, EASE, ONE 140, Start

PS Trevor you know better now Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: