Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 10% +2mph? Not on M25 in Kent
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

10% +2mph? Not on M25 in Kent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: 10% +2mph? Not on M25 in Kent Reply with quote

Just a heads up to people who think that 10%+ 2mph is a standard "up to" speed, it isn't!! Not intended as a thread for being berated, nor am I looking for sympathy, or even complaining. I have no defence, but I was in a unfamiliar car.

Travelling anti clockwise on the M25 at Swanwick on 17th November, I apparently drove through a 40mph at 46mph (camera reference M25 4116B), NIP arrived today. It took so long as it was my wife's lease car, the company have dragged their heels and it still has to go back to have my name put on it. The 6 pictures that you can access online give a wealth of information and you can even view the camera's calibration certificate.

You have been warned!

Mark
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 40 + 10% + 2 does equal 46.
But thanks for the heads up.
Nice to know.
Commiserations to you.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was a Hadecs3 camera then there are already quite a few posts here about them and their accuracy, and warnings.

I read an article a few years back that said that these new HA cameras have been trialled and are very sccurate across all lanes they are monitoring.

The next point the article made was that for at least a decade all car speedometers must overread by 6% to 10%.

The final point it made was that if you are clocked doing even 71mph then your speedo would have been reading a minimum of 76mph so you have no excuse.

In your case, if you were clocked at a true 46mph tben your speedo should have been reading 49mph - 51mph.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

In your case, if you were clocked at a true 46mph tben your speedo should have been reading 49mph - 51mph.

I realise that, hence my stating I have no defence. I was merely pointing out that the usually accepted tolerance of limit + 10% isn't always the case, as if it was at 46mph, this would't have been issued. I also realise speedos are able to over read but not under read and has been the case for many years. I also realise I was driving my wife's quiet car instead of my noisy van, so was perhaps travelling a bit faster than I would usually for the noise level in what I may have thought was a 50mph zone. As I say, the pics you can access are very detailed, even telling you how long since the limit changed. If there was a way of putting the images up, I would, for future reference to others.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never understood why the 10%+2 is actually publicised. Because of it, everybody is saying in a 40 zone you can do 46 and some people drive accordingly, when they should be driving at 40 or less. If they choose to drive at satnav indicated 40, fair enough, BUT should not go for satnav indicated 46.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathy, marksfish and thank you for the heads up.

I agree with you, it's difficult to be subliminary aware of true roadspeed when driving a different vehicle, especially one which is newer and more comfortable.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking again at the images sent, at least one of them is about 100m before the actual camera that took the picture. In this picture, my vehicle is the 2nd vehicle in lane 2, behind the white van, just passing the gantry with the camera.

https://imgur.com/Xj7Eqpp
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a long way away. I'd have expected the image to be close enough to show the number plate.

That's clearly a Hadecs as it's off to the side.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was only one of the images. I have managed to get on a pc to edit the reg out of the images , so have uploaded the rest. There really is a lot of information, and very little "wriggle room" if someone was to appeal.

https://imgur.com/8wO0isd
https://imgur.com/XnenS0L
https://imgur.com/viegpuk
https://imgur.com/Vs8PRAa
https://imgur.com/EyeoZ7v
https://imgur.com/xxnX3Jm
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and it's all done and processed automatically in the blink of an eye.

I'm not knocking you but there must be £ thousands coming in based on the reports we see here of thousands being caught by some cameras.

I'll guess all the cars round you were all travelling at your speed, convoy style, so all nabbed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, and I have no defence (plenty of excuses though Very Happy ). If it goes to fixed penalty the treasury gets it all, if I am offered a course, I think they said last time (5 years ago), the Police force got 25% of the course cost, so understandable they would want to offer the course to as many people as possible. Much preferred it when the bobby stood on the side of the road with a gun, or was cruising the motorways, but those days are long gone. Speed cameras are very good at what they are designed to do, but they don't pick up on all the other offences committed, which the motorway plod could. It is a hazard of my job unfortunately, and as careful as I am these days, sometimes I am just not careful enough (especially when driving a car and not a van).

So now everyone on the forum can see the sort of detail these cameras produce, there can be no disputing and more awareness (which has to be a good thing?).
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, on occasion, drifted over the limit. It's just so easy with modern, quiet, comfy cars.

That's another reason I run without mobiles. They are so proliferant round me that I want the fixed cameras to stand out, they remind me to check the speedo.

The only mobiles I do run with are the ones that need verifying.

I remember back in 2004, in my Lexus IS200, driving along the M40 and being totally gobsmacked that I'd drifted up to 100mph without realising. That thing was so smooth and quiet and I thought I was just gently overtaking to get home.
If only they would produce the IS200 again but with 21st century tech, I'd be back in one like a shot.

My current Honda Civic has a facility to set 2 alarms when you exceed certain speeds. I've just got the one set to 75mph which is 70mph GPS.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marksfish,

Sorry to hear of your woes! If it does go to fixed penalty then I hope you get the course as opposed to points.

Kremmen wrote:
That's another reason I run without mobiles. They are so proliferant round me that I want the fixed cameras to stand out, they remind me to check the speedo.

A little off topic: K, is there no way to get your Garmin or your CSV to GPX conversion utility to only alert of mobiles/fixed sites if you're exceeding the speed limit of the camera by a predetermined amount?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a guy coming on here to say he had turned off mobiles because he was fed up of warning every whenever, but that he got a ticket for speeding on the M4 near Swindon from a camera on our database. Just saying.

I have used the database simply to keep me paying attention. Just saying.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
but that he got a ticket for speeding on the M4 near Swindon from a camera on our database
Presumably a mobile?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: