Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 6200
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 6200
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I decided to give this POI stuff a go. As many of you know, I don’t agree wit Reading The F Manuals, so it took me a very long time to find out how to import POIs. I learned how to become pretty good with my TT Nav 2 devices by exploring the menus and Reading Pgpsw posts. So I eventually fired up TT website and found My Drive - as opposed to computer program My Drive Connect. Low marks for that TT. By trial and error, I managed to import two groups of POIs, called Blue and Destinations respectively. These are imported INTO My Places, so My Places now contains ten single locations, displayed in alphabetical order and at the end of the list, my two POI types Blue and Destinations. Clicking on Blue reveals the list of all POIs in that group. So I can choose one to navigate to. Yippee! I did a demo run to the nearest one, didn’t see an option to set speed of demo, so it took it at rubbish speed well below the speed limit. I got no audible warning as I arrived. The icon was the standard one for all the My Places items.

So TT can truthfully say they have listened to users and have allowed us to import POIs to navigate to. Remember, the need for some of us (well, presumably all of us members of Pgpsw) was POIs with decent icons and Warn when Near, but TT were never going to be sympathetic to our database when they sell one of their own. So our push was not able to demand icons and warnings. The best complaint you can go with now is the icons - it’s awful that all Places and POIs share the same icon.

I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to delete a single one of my POIs from within its group, I can only delete the entire group.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN,

DennisN wrote:
So My Places now contains ten single locations, displayed in alphabetical order and at the end of the list, my two POI types Blue and Destinations. Clicking on Blue reveals the list of all POIs in that group. So I can choose one to navigate to.

Many thanks for proving that you can import multiple POI categories into MyDrive and that the individual POIs are stored within the separate POI categories and not all in one giant list.

DennisN wrote:
The best complaint you can go with now is the icons - it’s awful that all Places and POIs share the same icon.

Yes, but as the icons can't be shown on the map or navigation screen then it probably doesn't matter too much.

I believe that there is a hack for TomTom Android GO Mobile that allows you to allocate a different icon for each POI Category in My Places but there's not much point as those icons can't be used to show POIs on the screen.

DennisN wrote:
I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to delete a single one of my POIs from within its group, I can only delete the entire group.

I think that you need to edit the POI category on your computer to remove the POI and then re-import the whole POI category back into MyDrive where it will synchronise with My Places to remove that POI.

I use MS Excel to store master lists of each of my own custom POI categories. I use each master list to create a POI file (category) for specific SatNav manufacturers, i.e. TomTom and Garmin. I find it easier to keep updating the master list and occasionally produce the necessary file for a specific SatNav.

One problem that I have with TomTom iOS GO Mobile is that when I use the third party app "POI Viewer" to navigate to a POI, the name of the road at the coordinates of the POI instead of the actual name of the POI itself is recorded in the "Recent Destinations" list. This is annoying and I think the reason is that TomTom iOS GO Mobile still doesn’t support URL Scheme.

Presumably, when using a new TomTom PND, if you select a POI (from a custom POI category) to navigate to - the name of that POI will appear in "Recent Destinations"? If that is the case then that will be useful.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Robert, I deleted those POI categories so they're not on my GO6200 any more.

I do see the My Places icons on the map at some stage but I can't tell which without driving somewhere (route demo is so clunky I just don't have the time in my life to sit watching it moving slower than paint drying! I just tried navigating to a recent destination and it was 80 miles and probably over 100 minutes away!). Hopefully tomorrow I'll see when I'm out and about and I'll let you know then.

MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im back, and im cafuddled.
a few stupid questions so bear with me as im no techy.

received 6200 last night and manual is not much cop.
plugged into charge and it showed map needed updating. it also loaded drivers on computer which loaded fine.
entered email and connected to wifi and it started updating. after 7 hours it was done. now shows 5gb space free out of the 16gb and only has europe map loaded.
would the update of overwritten the old map loaded or just added the new one.
ive got a 32gb micro uhs class 10 on its way.

tried it on the way to work today and seems ok.
first problem. its always on night mode so dark screen. is this a default whenever its turned on.
ive also turned off map share but when i unplug from usb it says ready to download map share. check in settings/updates and map share is turned on again.

tonight ive tried to connect it to Home 2 on computer as dont want to be using wifi all the time. cable plugged into usb and its charging but computer can not see 6200.
now i still have 930 registered to my email address on home2 so does the 6200 have to be on a new email address or can you register two on the same account.
not sure what else to try.
thanks all Confused

edit

deleted wifi and it now shows the screen to connect via my drive

my drive reloaded and shows it working properly but tried everything and its still not shoing as a drive on my computer.
giving up tonight.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t use Home. You need “My Drive Connect” which is completely different. I don’t recall how mine got downloaded and installed.

You will find that downloads and updates of map share and cameras are noticeably slower than on your old fashioned 930.

I don’t know why you’re on permanent Night Mode - mine isn’t and it is set to “Auto”.

Europe map is pretty big - it has 3D buildings which I find completely rubbish - not accuracy (which I bet it isn’t), but simply useless, meaningless and even worse, hiding roads behind them! I once read about somebody discarding the 3D buildings - I wish I knew how.

You need an email address for My Drive Connect registration. TT have been saying you can register several devices on a single address nowadays - whether that means Nav2 devices and Nav 4 devices I have no idea, but I’m not yet ready to trust TT in that respect, so I have different email addresses for each of my devices.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t show up as a drive, you can’t access it except using My Drive Connect, proprietary system.

psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but are 3D buildings only when the device is set to 3D map? Do they disappear if you set the device to 2D map? Just a thought.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Europe map is pretty big - it has 3D buildings which I find completely rubbish - not accuracy (which I bet it isn’t), but simply useless, meaningless and even worse, hiding roads behind them! I once read about somebody discarding the 3D buildings - I wish I knew how.

IIRC The Europe Map with 3D buildings is 6 to 8 GB in size! Shocked

I do not think that you can discard the 3D buildings. I've asked TomTom for maps without 3D buildings but they refuse!

Totally agree with DennisN as the 3D map is useless and inaccurate. If you're going to have 3D buildings in town and cities then make sure that they are accurate to the physical world. Also, why do villages not have 3D buildings? But seriously, the 3D buildings just take unnecessary storage and must really slow down the rendering of the screen. In addition, 3D buildings are an unnecessary distraction for a SatNav unit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It doesn’t use Home. You need “My Drive Connect” which is completely different. I don’t recall how mine got downloaded and installed.

You will find that downloads and updates of map share and cameras are noticeably slower than on your old fashioned 930.

I don’t know why you’re on permanent Night Mode - mine isn’t and it is set to “Auto”.

You need an email address for My Drive Connect registration. TT have been saying you can register several devices on a single address nowadays - whether that means Nav2 devices and Nav 4 devices I have no idea, but I’m not yet ready to trust TT in that respect, so I have different email addresses for each of my devices.

thanks Dennis.
i did edit the above post just after i posted it.
i was reading through all the pages. i already had My Drive loaded but deleted it and re loaded. im logged in but its not finding any device.
i will try again with another email address and also change it on the devise just in case it will only accept one as this is new tech it could be blocked.

ive turned off switch to night colours when dark but it still boots with night mode.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the same registration email address on 6200 and My Drive Connect.

Connect it with the USB cable with My Druve Connect installed.

I have my night mode on Auto and it comes on when the 6200 thinks it’s dark (that is, what time it is, not whether it’s dark - I was tempted to tell you to switch on during the day, but thought you might not appreciate the wit). Set it to Auto, then do a reset - hold power button until it drums.

MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You need the same registration email address on 6200 and My Drive Connect.

Connect it with the USB cable with My Druve Connect installed.

I have my night mode on Auto and it comes on when the 6200 thinks it’s dark (that is, what time it is, not whether it’s dark - I was tempted to tell you to switch on during the day, but thought you might not appreciate the wit). Set it to Auto, then do a reset - hold power button until it drums.

yup, same email to register on both tomtom and my drive.
connected direct to usb on comp as it says dont use hubs.

its still not showing as connected but strangely will send a rout to the tt so i have no idea what its playing at.

now this is strange. tt unplugged and is in its box and ive just opened the my drive connect and it now shows my device with its serial number with select a device you want to manage and its clickable. click it and it shows a popup update the easy way. when connected to my computer the box with my serial number and go is greyed out.
as you said, think a reset is in order.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won’t show as a connected device in Explorer or whatever you use to look at stuff on your computer. At the very best it will show as a USB connected thing no name, no files etc. It only works with proprietary TT program (My Drive/My Drive Connect) - for use to add or remove content. I don’t send routes so I don’t know for sure how that’s done, but I assume it’s by WiFi.

walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the go 6200 you don't need the mydrive connect on your computer anymore , i've never used it since i got my go 6200.

if you want to load up poi's or set routes you have a couple of options

on mobile install the mydrive app or on windows just browse to mydrive

the app also works for both the mobile go app and the pnd without any problems. the only thing is you can't use own image, can't use pgpsw cameras or set alerts
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advise.
think ill keep this as a backup then and keep using my 930 as i much prefer the cams from here.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t leave it in the box. Mount it in your car alongside the 930 and use them both simultaneously - you’ll see just how bad they’ve gone with their latest top of the range model.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: