Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Update to 2019.20 available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Update to 2019.20 available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more likely in some parts of the country, particularly west Wales and southwest England. In Devon I have been sent down several dead end roads (roads is a kind word for some of them), dead end tracks, and even directed down a narrow cattle track, which would have been difficult to traverse on a scramble bike!
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb, I recall sending you some pic attachments a few weeks ago showing my sat nav screen showing it wanted me to enter and leave a lay-by together with the photo of the actual lay-by from the same location!!!

I have my drivesmart 61 LMT - D with me so I'm going to use that for a while and see if it improves!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic was interesting as I said in my reply. It was actually the old road that parallelled the new one, and wasn't strictly a lay-by.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabri wrote:
It is more likely in some parts of the country, particularly west Wales and southwest England. In Devon I have been sent down several dead end roads (roads is a kind word for some of them), dead end tracks, and even directed down a narrow cattle track, which would have been difficult to traverse on a scramble bike!

Did you report any of these to Garmin? If not or you're unsure how to do so I'll do it for you if you post details here.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
sussamb wrote:
I'd love to travel with you one day to see exactly what is happening. My Garmin has never sent me into a layby or taken me down a dead end except once in France due to new roadworks.

Today we were travelling from Maidstone to Welling (DE16 3DA) and shortly before the destination, it sent me along Rippersely Road which went through a wooded area, several speed calming bumps and to the end where there was a gate with a no entry sign on it. The map was routing me through the gate so I had to turn around to rejoin the previous road which easily brought me to my destination.

I'm in Worthing. I'll have a look at that route shortly. I assume you have routing set to fastest? Have you tried a master reset to see if that helps?

Edit: Hmm, you sure that's the correct postcode? In any case Rippersley Road has a clear Dead end sign at its start so I wouldn't have gone down there anyway Smile. This assumes it's the correct road as you've typed it slightly differently?

Last edited by sussamb on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Quote:
Did you report any of these to Garmin? If not or you're unsure how to do so I'll do it for you if you post details here.

Thank you for the offer; I reported them to Garmin.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same issue on my old 3598 and driveluxe where it tells you to into lay-bys - also had it tell me to go across a dual carriageway to go on a side road used only for access to shops to come back on 20 yards up road to just bypass the traffic lights

this is it - silly routing

and
silly route two down dirt track
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what is suggested in first example, but second one is either a map error or it is a navigable road, some roads are like that in parts of the country. Whether it is a sensible route depends on start and end point.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peeps have been complaining about Garmin routeing for years, but it seems that they just don't care as it doesn't seem to improve.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly not enough complain or they wouldn't have been so successful. Problem is we all have different ideas about what is acceptable and what isn't. As K points out he had no issues today, and over many years I've only had the odd occasion where I've not been happy with the chosen route, certainly way less than when my wife was navigating Wink

My wife's new car has the ability to link to android auto. I'll be trying that tomorrow to see what it's like.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But people like me still buy one because we think that there will just be a few isolated problems. In reality the routing is really poor compared to TomTom's.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see how it could be any better than my Garmin which I use regularly in UK and France without any problems, including now excellent digital traffic.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that you can't see how the TomTom can be better than the Garmin because when I search the internet you appear in many search results defending Garmin against many complaints of poor routing going back many years.

Your arguments in favour of Garmin convinced me that it was a minor problem and I went ahead and purchased a Garmin. That is a decision that I regret.

The TomTom routing is far better than the Garmin in my opinion. Have you tried a TomTom?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times. What puts me off TT mainly is the display, I prefer the Garmin one. As you say I've had Garmin for many years and yes, I do defend their routing. There are posts on TT forums that complain about TT routing too. As I explained above, we all think differently so it's not surprising some prefer TT to Garmin and vice versa. Over the years whenever I've looked at examples of what folks think is poor routing only a few have actually been justifiable in my mind, and then it's invariably been a map error and not the routing algorithm. What did cause confusion was when Garmin introduced TrafficTrends. The idea was good but the underlying data did cause what lots of folks deemed to be poor or variable routing. Consequently I always turned it off. It now seems to have been withdrawn from the latest devices Wink

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/bad-routing-using-the-go-6100-1021083

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/very-poor-routing-1024555

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/tomtom-go-6200-constantly-wants-to-take-me-down-narrow-lanes-1039228
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That pic was interesting as I said in my reply. It was actually the old road that parallelled the new one, and wasn't strictly a lay-by.

So after how many years does it cease to be a road in Garmins' eyes? It's been this layout for at least 40 years! It's just the nonsensical routing that is the issue and this is just one of several!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: