Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go6200 and Megane IV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go6200 and Megane IV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Go6200 and Megane IV Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to get a go6200 mounted in a megane iv without it looking as though its in yer face and blocking the view.

on my old megane i had it situated in the RHS of my windscreen and the mount was perfect, but the dashboard layout of the new megane prevents it from being able to sit there (my garmin driveluxe 51 only just fits but still tight squeeze)

using as a standard dashboard mount make it look big and in yer face and unlike the garmins you can't rotate the display as if could do this then it would be lower to the dash without causing too much issue

anyone any ideas as tomtom don't do the extended reach mount for the go series.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walkerx,

Have you looked at the Brodit mounting system? I don't know what year your car is (I've guessed 2018) but have a look at Brodit ProClip Mounts for Renault Megane IV 2018 Right Hand Drive for ideas.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the 2016 megane iv, my only concern with that is how close will it be to the door etc, blocking the vent and will still need an attachment for it
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Brodit ProClips in the past, albeit not for a 2016 Renault Megane IV. In the cars that I've fitted Brodit ProClips, I've found that there is some leeway where you can slide the ProClip a few millimetres.

Looking at the pictures, I think that Item #655203, the ProClip Angled mount that is on the left hand side of the dashboard might be more useful to you. However you will need to operate your TomTom by using your left hand although it shouldn't interfere with your front passenger.

As for attachment, have a look at Brodit Holders for TomTom GO 6200.

Don't forget the Brodit MoveClip, which allows you to swap the holder. When you change your TomTom GO 6200 you just swap out the old holder and use a new one.

I have used DSL Developments UK to buy all of my Brodit stuff and have found them very helpful.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at the following images you can see how big the unit looks in this car. if it weren't for the dash design it would probably fit, but even my garmin only just fits in the corner which is ideal location.

https://imgur.com/2WlDpkf
https://imgur.com/B0GU2PD
https://imgur.com/wgLwiNX
https://imgur.com/kyo1Ja7
https://imgur.com/z9wLdTk

Also the brodit mounts are expensive and looks like you can't get it without the active mount which is probably what is increasing the price.

I know the car has built-in satnav but compared to pnd it is out of date, i need to re-enter all my favourites and once free subscription ends, it's an extortionate price to continue the service.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that most built-in navigation systems are basic and cost a fortune to use date the maps. In fact the cost to update most built-in maps would buy at least one or more top of the range PNDs. Until Apple CarPlay and Android Auto works ok for TomTom apps then you're best off with a PND.

Looking at your pictures I would say forget mounting on the right hand side of your steering wheel - there is probably not enough room to easily operate the PND.

As I said in an earlier thread, what about mounting on the left hand side of the centre dashboard:

I know that the GO 6200 is large and that the Brodit ProClip hasn't much room for adjustment but you might have a bit of room to mount the holder offset to the left to reduce covering or interfering with controls.

What does the GO 6200 look like in the position suggested in the above picture?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this shows the unit on left hand side - one thing I have to be careful off as well is that sometimes the dog is in passenger side and likes to sit with her nose on the air-vents.

there is also pics of the garmin driveluxe in corner and on dashboard

https://i.imgur.com/Pp75C0e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SuYO6Vv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TvKTLOw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OcmSN9K.jpg

ideally don't want to revert back to the garmin as the routing was bad, but if I have to then will probably do so otherwise other choice is mobile phone
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what about a Sat Nav Beanbag Dashboard Mount? However this might go against your original point about "looking as though its in yer face and blocking the view".

If the above doesn't appeal then how about thinking slightly out of the box and go back to the Brodit ProClip but look at the RHS of the dash (i.e. for a LHD Renault Megane IV), which is item #855203:

The above may work for a RHD car, but you may find that it would interfere or cover switchgear. I can't tell from the picture whether it's angled, if it is angled then will be angled towards the passenger and away from the driver, so you might have to modify it to work for you. Also, the SatNav may be partially obscured from view although possibly no worse than by the door.

You know your car better than anybody else does, so have a close look at the above picture and see if it would be a problem or whether it might work.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have the 'window arm' ones for the Megane? I got one for my 2013 focus - it clips round the bit that goes between the windscreen and the roof of the car. It's got a name but I can't remember Laughing Out Loud

It's a good position as it's on the RHS of the windscreen and would be away from and nosey dogs Wink

This is what I got: https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Ford/Focus/2013/604621.htm

ALthough looking on the brodit site it doesn't look like they do that type for your car - ergo: ignore my whole message!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
I know the car has built-in satnav but compared to pnd it is out of date, i need to re-enter all my favourites and once free subscription ends, it's an extortionate price to continue the service.
Extortionate, indeed. BUT compared to the price of a GO6200? Incidentally a couple of months ago they (Renault R-Link Store) offered the Western Europe map v1000 for £25! I bought it quick before they realised, it's back up to £80 now).

And anyway, what's wrong with sticking the 6200 on the windscreen (apart from the fact that it's probably a foot too far to reach from your driving position! - I use a smartphone stylus, but only whilst stationary).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Privateer only had the car a month Smile

I can't have it on the RHS of the centre console as this then blocks the start/stop button of the car, it would also then be too close to the indicators/lights. This why they probably don't have it for the uk model of vehicle.

@DennisN it's due to the angle of the windscreen and dashboard, it ends up being in you field of vision, which you can get done for.

@MaFt they don't do it for the megane iv - https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Renault/Megane+IV/2016.htm

I have also thought about a bean bag so it being used without the active mount but will need to decide on that, ideally they need to make mounts similar to the ones they used for the older models and redesign the active mount.

If the go 6200 could be turned around like the garmin it would probably be ok
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess your seat must be much lower than mine as I can easily see over my 6200, also I’m much further back from it too, thus :- (picture taken from my eye height and seated back on my driving seat)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like my (Garmin) bean bag. It is hard to shift, even in active motoring.
But it is tucked in the RH edge of the dash.
In open dashtop space it might be a little more susceptible to G forces.

Dales.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DennisN - if you look at this picture https://i.imgur.com/OcmSN9K.jpg you will see my dash is different. the satnav was fine on my old megane 3 (2014 model) in the bottom rhs of windscreen.

The new style of the megane iv makes it impossible to put there, if you look at the picture of my garmin 5" device you can see how close this is and just fits - luckily with the garmin you can rotate the unit (unlike the go6200) and the mount is not as bulky and can easily get a different mount unlike for the go6200.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walkerx,

I have used a goose neck mount with a windscreen sucker at one end and a Brodit move clip on the other so I could swap SatNavs (which at the time were PDAs and a PND). However I'd already invested a lot in Brodit mounts so it was easy for me.

I think the SatNav bean bag is worth considering, especially if you can borrow one to try.

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: