Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:
Can I ask Dennis 1) Is there any particular TT model you would recommend? 2) How do you charge your smartphone in your car? (I don't use my mobile very much at present.) 3) I don't have Cameralert but I do have PGPSW camera subscription, so are you saying that I can try out Cameralert at present on my Motorola G4?
Fingers crossed, jack.

CamerAlert is the management's idea of the name of the cameras, so it's called CamerAlert whether it's on smartphone or GO750. If Motorola G4 is Smart, I guess you can try it - it's a free download and free trial first update and then link it to your PGPSW subscription.

I don't know which TT model to recommend - I find the modern ones are too clever (i.e., slightly better than useless) these days - your 750 has features these new improved ones don't have, so whichever you get you'll possibly have some disappointments! My current one is GO6200 which has a nice big screen.

But I also have a built in one which is TomTom AND I also run an ancient GO520 (three generations before your 750) whose only fault was it didn't have Live traffic. Sadly, the 520 is VERY close to death and when it gets its final map update next March (if it's still alive) I shall perhaps retire it. I don't put the cameras on any of them (it's possible on the built in one by using a French hack program, but only runs on Windows and my Win version is old and so slow I just can't be bothered. It's also of course possible on the 520, but TT have messed with Home on the Mac so much that it's not working now).

Because I run my iPhone CamerAlert all day long in my van, I have a 2 metre long USB cable which goes into the ciggy adaptor (I actually have a four way adaptor to run three things - two satnavs and my iPhone).

As per Privateer, I have a phone holder, the brilliant Osomount 360, which sticks to the orange peel finish of my dashboard like a limpet - it stayed on my previous van for three years without dropping off, but in the recent 30+ temperatures it has melted off several times.

So I'm on satnavs for navigation and iPhone for CamerAlert and hands free calls. I am not a POI guru, so I don't use them - I occasionally ask TomTom for fish and chip shops when I'm 200 miles from home and hungry, but he's not very reliable, so it's a bit of a lottery and I ask Mr Google instead.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis for your very comprehensive response, (also to Privateer likewise.) Hopefully I'll be able to have a go at CamerAlert at the weekend. Interesting that you should have the TT GO 6200. I have received 4 emails over the last week from TT offering the 6200 at a 30% off price of £237.99 as a like for like replacement for my 750LIVE. A very quick look at others offers reveals Amazon and Halfords as £255.93 and BOX at £249.99. So that seems quite a keen reduction. I want to keep running the 750 as long as I can but it might exasperate me before it finally quits!

As regards ciggy multi-adaptors there is a topical article in Auto Express this week (a quick read in WH Smiths today). I must have a detailed read when I can.

Thanks again everyone.

PS Yet another new police hand held radar location seen this PM driving into Wilmslow. No hat worn by officer nor viz jacket - reported to PGPSW!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - the 6200 has been around for ages now (in TT terms that is), so I would suspect they are trying to offload the last of their stocks before the next new improved all singing all dancing models come along. With several registrations for TT devices, I too have had regular offers of the 6200. In your position, I'd hang onto the 750 until it dies, then consider what to get - whatever you decide on, you won't have difficulty getting one, there'll be plenty around without having to go right now for a discounted get-what-you-pay-for model!

By the way, one thing which really annoys me about the 6200 is the 3D buildings - they rear up in front of me and hide the road after the next turn. Dumb! This week, I did a collection from a residential area of London and when I left, my satnavs all said turn right, then turn left - the 6200's 3D block of high-rise flats hid the highlighted road from the right turn so I couldn't see the forward, then left display! And if anybody tells you it calculates your route fast, don't believe them!

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your first paragraph i.e. I'll persist with the 750 for the moment and have a look at the offers when it dies or I get really really fed up with it.

I had a go with CamerAlert on my smartphone at the weekend with mixed results. I think I can see what it is doing but until I get a phone holder (i.e. when the 750 has gone) I don't know the best way to use it. I had issues with getting the sound working and ran out of time to continue. I've had a look at a manual on line and I'll hunt around to see if there any videos etc of it in use.

Thanks again Dennis for your help.

jack.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA sound is a game.

I've got mine working through the car system via BlueTooth but that was a fight. By default it's very low volume so you have to wait for a warning then whilst it's playing quickly up the volume.

I did cheat in the end. Played a phone music track via BT through the system so I had a few minutes to get it right.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any difficulty improving the sound - I run it all day long, so it's no problem finding a warning to use to turn up the volume and it stayed up once you've done it for the first time.

Also, I have my iPhone in a handsfree mount all day long too, so I was able to turn up the volume easily enough during a warning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: