Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How does the Database compare with Trafcam?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How does the Database compare with Trafcam?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: How does the Database compare with Trafcam? Reply with quote

Title says it all, I was just curious as to whether or not anyone had or has used the Trafcam downloadable database, and if so how well they thought the GPS world one compaired.

I appreciate its a comparison against a subscriber system and therefore probably not fair to compare, but was curious as to whether the Trafcam system was worth the money?

regards
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TURBO wrote:
Hi
Trafcam has over 5 thousand cameras in the data base and Pocket GPS one has just over 3000. I use them both and run both at the same time. Sometimes Trafcam will warn of a camera and Pocket GPS won't, some times Pocket GPS warns and trafcam won't, but most times both warn.

Dave

Assuming trafcam has all camera locations (which you have already said it doesnt!) that means than our database only has about 60% of camera locations. In my experience out database is much better than this with my guess of over 95% of locations covered (the ones that I find missing are the mobile posts, with signs and road markings with no camera but where they can fit a gatsco on a tempoary basis)

If you are using both systems and you notice a camera that is not on the pocketgps database then add it in - this will further inprove the database - and then you can save yourself a subscription to trafcam!!!
treadman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read with interest the comments on the PocketGPS & Trafcam databases. I have found that, at least in West Yorkshire, the Pocket GPS Camera database is missing quite a number of cameras. I installed it, with TomTom3, hoping to cease using my Origin Bluei cos it costs £50 per year and the display has just failed for the third time. So far I don't feel I could trust the database. Has anyone compared the Origin & Trafcam databases? One of my beefs with the Origin is that it will only update using its own modem & it doesn't work at home due to line quality, it doesn't work at work because I don't have a direct outside line.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still some areas with little or no submitted information. If you come across them then submit the locations and we'll add them!

We try our best but short of my taking a sleeping bag and a tanker of fuel and driving the length and breadth of the country we can only do so much! We rely on reader submissions to ensure coverage and accuracy so don't complain that cameras data is not present for an area if you haven't submitted it Wink
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treadman,
I posted recently on the speed camera forum saying just the same as you.

I see one camera for Leeds (GATSO:1920), ones that are near Silverstone for over 2 years are missing and there is one shown for Newbury where I know there are about 4 or 5

I have just bought CP5 and when I work out how to save the location of a camera I will send them in but I am a bit disappointed to be honest because the SC database was my main reason for getting a PPC/GPS unit
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand what you expect!

It is YOU the readers who submit the locations, if everyone simply made observations about missing cameras and didn't bother to report them (with Lat/Lon cordinates) then how do you expect us to have them in the database?

This is a service we provide FREE to our users and the majority appreciate that fact and endeavout to assist with location reports. If there are large gaps in your part of the world then perhaps you might like to correct that by providing some input.
prycop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rather obvious question following the above posts really.

Is there a paid for service or database that is better than the Pocket GPS database?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont see your problem in sending in the locations of cameras you know are missing!

By doing so you are helping to make the database more accurate then you wouldnt need to pay for a subscription service which may or may not be more accurate.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even on a paid service customers are the ones who make up the database of new cameras in many cases just the same way that we do on here..i shall be going out over the weekend to update the database here in my own time just like other readers here have done for me..
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clivers,
I note you have CP5, as I do
How do you add a POI when you are driving?
I presume I just set it as navigating and then possibly save current location.
All a bit difficult when driving or is there a easy way to do it?
John
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
I note your reply and think it might be aimed at me, although I could be wrong.
If so I think you have misunderstood what I am saying.

I have every intention of adding to the database (once I have sussed out what I am doing - see previous post on this thread).

However I read extensive information about this database, and ALK recommended it in fact. However I am quite surprised that a number of cameras I am aware of, in prominent places for over 2 years are not on the list.

Either there are no users in the areas I have looked at, which surprises me, no one is sending them in or I am not picking them up for some reason.

I actually think the 3rd option may be the answer but who knows , you tell me

How many reports of new cameras (unique) do you get in a day/week/month?

As I have said (or suggested) in all my posts on here, I think it is a good site and very useful for a novice like me
Cheers

John
Millmaag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use CheckPOInt (v2) with TT3 and have programmed one of the hardware buttons on my Pocket PC to record a new camera. Pushing the button pops up a simple dialogue box which asks for the camera type (gatso, red light etc) and speed limit. The info including exact latitude & longtitude is saved in the CheckPOInt.ov2 file which can then be uploaded to PGPSW - although as yet, I haven't actually passed any cameras that weren't already in the database !

Incidentally, when I first loaded the PGPSW database, I checked all the known cameras on the routes I regularly drive - and they were all there.

Andy
RobStevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some public-spirited citizen has both databases: why not use them to pick out all the cameras not in the PocketGPS database, visit those in your area to see if they exist or not, and submit them if they do?
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny_bike

i don't really use cp5 that much as i don't like it so not sure how to save POI's, all the camera database ones i have saved so far are local ones to me where i can stop, i then save them on my GO..
to be honest the database has only come to my attention now it can be used on the GO as i have a road angel which i use in areas i don't know..
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny_bike wrote:
Darren,
I note your reply and think it might be aimed at me, although I could be wrong.
If so I think you have misunderstood what I am saying.

I have every intention of adding to the database (once I have sussed out what I am doing - see previous post on this thread).

However I read extensive information about this database, and ALK recommended it in fact. However I am quite surprised that a number of cameras I am aware of, in prominent places for over 2 years are not on the list.

Either there are no users in the areas I have looked at, which surprises me, no one is sending them in or I am not picking them up for some reason.

I actually think the 3rd option may be the answer but who knows , you tell me

How many reports of new cameras (unique) do you get in a day/week/month?

As I have said (or suggested) in all my posts on here, I think it is a good site and very useful for a novice like me
Cheers

John

So far this month I have 249 new fixed Gatsos and 84 Redlight cameras. Also 101 entries will be deleted for various reasons, eg duplicates, moved to redlight database, repositioned.

92 of new cameras have come from a user in South Wales who has been through the official database for that area and created TT overlay files for Fixed, Redlight and Mobile cameras. Cheers Michael First

As Darren has stated there are still large areas where our database lacks cover. I also look at official databases but the presentation of the information varies from good to very poor. There certainly is no standard Crying or Very sad

So really it is up to you to keep sending in the data.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: