Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directional Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directional Alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Directional Alerts Reply with quote

I need to get my headround this:

Quote:
Before placing a waypoint, set the proximity in mapsource to 0.030 - that way it's easy to place the circle over the exact lines that you want to cover, or exclude. The only problem is in certain scenarios service roads to close to say a highway, will also be covered by this circle, and thus give a warning.
Once you happy with the position of said waypoint, change the proximity to the actual warning distance that you like ie. 0.600 for 600 meters.

Quote:
Create a waypoint in mapsource where your picture shows the car. Now in properties of that waypoint, enter 0.030 in the proximity tab. (This 30 meters circle is not only just to direct you when moving it to the final spot, I found that like in the pdf, if your route is not through that 30 m, it won't trigger.)

Very important: Zoom level at 20 meters first! Now you can move your waypoint more towards AB till its circle line over it but still not near or touching CD. For a first test, move the circle line halfway between the two roads, in which case it could be that your waypoint is still below the AB road as in your picture. Now, if you want to be warned say 200 meters before that waypoint, change the proximity distance from 0.030 to 0.200. Save as GPX and load your usual way with PoiLoader and take a simulated testdrive, or the real thing.

Create 2 more waypoints the same way, one simular to the first one, but put the 2 nd one at the radar side, and the circle line halfway between the two roads.
The third one either AB or CD side, but more than 32 meters away from the nearest road "lines". Just make sure your zoom level is 20m so you can see clearly that there is about 2 match thickness's clearance between the circle line and the road line.Experimenting will tell you how small this gap must be.

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did that lot come from K?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it on a website.

He seems to be saying that if the target is created in Mapsource rather than a fixed lat/long then you can put a small radius on the target.

Then, if you plot a route that goes through that target 'circle' you will get a warning, else not. So if the circle only covers one side of the road ......

What I need is to see the file created by Mapsource for a single waypoint with a 30 metre circle at a zoom level of 20 meters. Then try to figure out how it gets a second proximity for the alert distance.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did quite a bit of work on this some time ago to try to get directional warnings to work. I ran out of time to play before I got it to work.

From memory, you want a big circle around the camera and a small circle inside the big circle. If you hit the small circle before you get to the camera you get a warning. If you pass the camera before you get to the small circle then there is no warning.

The big circle around the camera defines the warning distance because the small circle must be entirely within the big circle or no warning will be generated.

The small circle needs to sit over the approach road to the camera. Positioning this automatically can be a problem when there is a curve in the road before the camera.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I've found that Cyclops use the Garmin Content Toolkit. That has a module called 'GPI Creator'.
That uses XML, not GPX, and uses a double circle as you say.
The XML has a POI section and an Alert Circle section.

If I can see what Mapsource is producing there may be a way of writing it from what's in the CSV file, but, the lat/long would have to be very accurate.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at it I wasn't aware that Mapsource could produce anything that might work. I expected that I would have to write an app to build the GPI file directly (as a replacement for POILoader). That was going to be a lot of work.

It will be interesting to see what you get from Mapsource.

I also think that the Garmin can cope with several smaller circles inside the large circle. They can overlap each other. That reduces the need for accuracy as you only need to cross one of the small circles to get the warning.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a winter project. Assuming Mapsource is still available.

Just a local camera or 2 to test it but trying to place the small circle optimally based on the CSV lat/long could be tricky.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets complicated. If the camera is near a roundabout you could be trying to cover several approach routes to a single camera. Some of these approaches could be almost a U turn onto the road with the camera (think first exit off a roundabout with more than 4 exits). Whilst this may seem an unlikely position for a camera it is sometimes the start position for a Specs zone.

The longer the warning time the bigger the large circle needs to be and the more small circles you need to avoid the chance that you drive between them without getting warned.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapSource IS available.

I've sent you a pm describing whereabouts.

Dales.

PS the camera .gpx's load straight up in MapSource as they do in BaseCamp, and show on the map with their proximty circles.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it thanks.

I doubt this will be in production but I want to see if I can at least get a simple directional alert on a straight bit of road as a first step.

I've found a bit of XML code that is allegedly how Cyclops do it but the XML code needs the Garmin Content Toolkit which at $500 a year isn't worth it.

If this ploy, which works through POIloader, and looks very similar to the XML scenario.....
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, could be interesting.

But how would you automate where the small circle would be? For a longer alert time you could be 50-100m away from the camera and the road's heading could change a lot in that distance.

Depending on the alert time the small circle could have lots of different positions in order to stay on the road itself.

I'm thinking a task like this would need a helluva lot of manual work to place various points leading up to the cameras for suitable locations for small circles.

Motorway cameras (70mph and variable speed) could be fairly easy to automate though as at those speeds it is likely to be a fairly straight bit of road. That's for the UK anyway.

I'm wondering if it's worth starting work on an 'add-on' database with the warning locations added per camera. It could be available to you guys for the GPX converter (probably with a signed agreement that the data is only used for that and not shared etc) and integrated into CamerAlert.

I'll have a think about how it could be done and see what the directors say.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, but I'm going to investigate to see what gives.

What Cyclops seem to do is have 2 files. One is the one like we have with the lat/long and the other is the alert circle.

Leave it with me until I say "well that was a waste of time" Very Happy

Not sure if this will be big enough to view but this seems to be the basis of the Cyclops XML file that the Toolkit works with:

The CustomAudio does't work, but we know that because Cyclops is just a bong.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out Mapsource. My 2 Garmins are too new so they aren't recognised to offload the maps.

I can import routes tracks and saved places via Basecamp but no use without speedcam data.

I'll have another go in the week but not looking good.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want MapSource to work with newer devices you must set them to mass storage mode as MS won't recognise mtp devices ;)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, ta
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: