Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enter Country to navigate to Wales or Scotland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enter Country to navigate to Wales or Scotland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, more experimentation. I updated the 1310 to the current map but installed the EU rather than UK version. I still get offered UK as a 'Country' as well as England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so it appears it is device (and therefore software) dependant. For those of you that had the option before you may find it worthwhile to revert to an earlier software version.

Caveat on that is the 1310 has the NT map, but since some of you are reporting the issue with the NTU map it's perhaps still possible it's a map issue Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I suggest you make a suggestion at https://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/ if you feel it's something worth changing.
Leads to a page that says not open to the public. The other link from that page becomes 'too hard' as you have to enter all sorts of irrelevant stuff.

As an aside. How do you search for a town when you have no idea of street/numbers etc. Example: I want to go to Stamford.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's possible I guess that a software update has changed the behaviour of your device, can't recall which one you have.

It's in my sig Wink

sussamb wrote:
I still get offered UK as a 'Country' as well as England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so it appears it is device (and therefore software) dependant. For those of you that had the option before you may find it worthwhile to revert to an earlier software version.

II have no idea what NTU and NT are, all I know is I am offered a update for UK and Western Europe and now mine is broken. Wouldn't know how to roll back software, but I did have a update to install last weekend which must have been it as it worked seamlessly before. Will have to try and find a way of making contact as the ideas link is private Sad

Woo hoo, we now have an edit button Very Happy

Couldn't submit the form on the Garmin UK site, after all the faff of filling out all field. Unable to put a tick in the captcha box Evil or Very Mad Had to rely on a Facebook message instead.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
As an aside. How do you search for a town when you have no idea of street/numbers etc. Example: I want to go to Stamford.

On my DriveSmart 50 LMT-D I would select Address - Spell Town - enter "Stamford" - select "Stamford, LINCS" from the list - near the top of the screen where it asks you to enter a House Number press "Go to Stamford"

My device also will not let me select UK as a country (Map is "CN Europe NTU 2019.10 ALL North" whatever that means).
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
sussamb wrote:
It's possible I guess that a software update has changed the behaviour of your device, can't recall which one you have.

It's in my sig Wink

sussamb wrote:
I still get offered UK as a 'Country' as well as England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so it appears it is device (and therefore software) dependant. For those of you that had the option before you may find it worthwhile to revert to an earlier software version.

II have no idea what NTU and NT are, all I know is I am offered a update for UK and Western Europe and now mine is broken. Wouldn't know how to roll back software, but I did have a update to install last weekend which must have been it as it worked seamlessly before.

Missed your signature, apologies Smile

NT is the map for older devices, all new ones use the NTU one. To revert it's a question of installing the update file onto your device. Update files are hosted here http://www.gawisp.com/perry/

If you want to try it let me know and I'll provide fuller details.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Yes please. I don't go to Scotland very often, but Wales regularly and it will be a pain to have to keep changing the country. I guess it would stop me updating the unit in the future though? I don't get offered the choice of downloads, I am just told there are x amount waiting, it tells me what they are and updates. So if there is a software change again and a map update, I would have to update them both and use the old software to revert back again I suppose?

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
On my DriveSmart 50 LMT-D {snip}
Thanks for that. Missed the 'Go to' tab. Simple when you know how. Rolling Eyes Embarassed Got fixated on "Enter House Number."
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
sussamb wrote:

Yes please. I don't go to Scotland very often, but Wales regularly and it will be a pain to have to keep changing the country. I guess it would stop me updating the unit in the future though? I don't get offered the choice of downloads, I am just told there are x amount waiting, it tells me what they are and updates. So if there is a software change again and a map update, I would have to update them both and use the old software to revert back again I suppose?

Thanks

Express allows you just to select the map update. I tend not to allow any other updates if my device is working ok. Give me a while on the reverting as a bit busy at the mo.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, visiting family in bed ...

To revert to a previous firmware it helps if you've already got a copy of the appropriate Garmin update file for your device. This is a file named gupdate.gcd that you'll find in the .system folder

However, unless like me you copy them each time you've had an update to your PC, you're unlikely to have a back up of previous software updates. Thankfully there is a site http://www.gawisp.com/perry/ where they are hosted, so it's just a question of finding the right one. As you have a 2569 it'll be here somewhere http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/

Copy the appropriate file from there, rename it gupdate.gcd and place it in the .system folder. Reboot your device. You'll get a warning that it's an older software, accept that and let it do its thing. Hopefully afterwards you'll be back to having the UK selection.

Note this may delete all your favourites so back up current.gpx from the GPX folder so you can restore that later. If your favourites have gone copy the file back to the GPX folder having renamed it to something other than current.gpx. Reboot your device and the favourites will be back. Once they are go back and delete the file you put into the GPX folder.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i'll have a look.

Last edited by marksfish on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downgrade process seems to be easy enough, however, choosing the right file to use is a minefield Confused I am thinking that maybe nuvi25x9_880.gcd is the last file to show UK as it was uploaded at the beginning of July this year. Also, what doe 25x9 actually mean? Is there a 2549, 2559, 2569, etc?

Thanks

edit to add: 880 is the software I currently have, so it "should" stand to reason I want the 870?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you want the one before your current one.

The x is simply a wild card so could be any number.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I travel between England and Wales several times a month and hadn't noticed this distinction. But then CH (Chester) postcodes cover both England and Wales.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
Interesting. I travel between England and Wales several times a month and hadn't noticed this distinction. But then CH (Chester) postcodes cover both England and Wales.

I wondered how postcodes operate in the context of this thread so I had a look at my postcodes atlas.

There are a number of Post Areas (the first two letters) that straddle national boundaries but there are no Districts or Sectors (the numbers) that do. Therefore, a full postcode does not straddle a national boundary and, on Garmins, they are included in the country in which they apply.

In your example CH5 - CH6 - CH7 - CH8 are in Wales and the rest are in England. Some GL, HR and SY postcodes also cross from England-Wales and LD - LL - NP cross Wales-England.

DG and TD are the only two that cross the Scotland-England border.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: