Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Little Chef
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Chef
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Alliance & Leicester hasn't been a brand since 2010. Believe me, there were a lot of these ...
Just over 1800. Shocked

Daggers wrote:
I completely agree that we should be doing everything we can to encourage members to update all POIs that they know about (though Richard may have something to say about the extra work!)
It has occupied quite a lot of each day for the last few months. When things are quiet I try to check, and if necessary, adjust the locations using all the tools that I can find on the wonderful WWW. So far it's mainly the North of England.

Currently it's revolving round the Premium POIs, Low Bridges, to which I've added some 1100 to the original list.

If I wasn't retired I don't think I would be able to keep up. Rolling Eyes Laughing

At the end of the day the MKI Eyeball is best, but compromises have to be made sometimes.

Andy_P wrote:
Sounds like a full time job for somebody!

If the price is right, I'm offering!
It is - and you can have the same rate as me. Shocked Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you mention the Low Bridges, I don't know if Eddie Stobbard subscribe, but one of their wagons was causing traffic mayhem last Monday by South Ruislip underground station - which has a low bridge - clearly marked on the PGPSW POI 233879.

Of course it could have just broken down just before the bridge or trying to deliver and I'm being unduly critical.
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another issue here as well and that is that one POI location could be on 3 or more individual POI databases because it also has WiFi and a Cash Machine etc, so if the main one closes the others need to be deleted as well.

Anyway back to "Little Chef" and having read the above comments I believe the only safe option (for the sake of accuracy) is for me only to add, amend or delete POI's that I see for myself.

Incidentally I was taking to a Little Chef Manager yesterday and it appears that some branches (10-12 ish) have been given a short stay of execution because they are attached to "Travel Lodge" Hotels and someone in their wisdom forgot to talk to Travel Lodge before the announcement was made in Jan 2012. So if you are booked into a Travel Lodge later this year you may not get any breakfast.

Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
There is another issue here as well and that is that one POI location could be on 3 or more individual POI databases because it also has WiFi and a Cash Machine etc, so if the main one closes the others need to be deleted as well.
Some users do, and some I have to tidy up.

Some may slip through the net if their positioning is quite a distance from the original removal. Has been known.

Quite a few Little Chefs have been removed/amended recently.

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
Incidentally I was taking to a Little Chef Manager yesterday and it appears that some branches (10-12 ish) have been given a short stay of execution because they are attached to "Travel Lodge" Hotels

That explains why the Little Chef website claims 118 branches, but the initial announcement that they were closing a load said that they would be retaining only 95 consistently profitable outlets.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
Incidentally I was taking to a Little Chef Manager yesterday and it appears that some branches (10-12 ish) have been given a short stay of execution because they are attached to "Travel Lodge" Hotels and someone in their wisdom forgot to talk to Travel Lodge before the announcement was made in Jan 2012. So if you are booked into a Travel Lodge later this year you may not get any breakfast.

The Little Chef next to the Travel Lodge in Adlington, Cheshire was boarded up the last time I went past so I removed the POI, and associated wi-fi. I'll have a look to see if it has been reopened when I can. There's nowhere else close to that Travel Lodge to get breakfast.
DraySoft
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Little Chef POI Reply with quote

I emailed Little Chef before I read this link this is their answer:-

Hi Mr xxxxxx,

We currently have 116 trading sites – 114 Little Chefs and 2 independent Burger Kings - in our estate. My understanding is the sat-nav is up to date and, as such, there should be 116 sites listed.

The leases for 21 of those sites (all co-located with Travelodges) are up for review in the summer. If we relinquish those sites, our estate will be reduced to 95 – the figure widely reported in the press. When (and if) we do close those sites, the sat-nav will be updated accordingly.

Best wishes,

xxxxxxxx
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
PaulWH wrote:

The Little Chef next to the Travel Lodge in Adlington, Cheshire was boarded up the last time I went past so I removed the POI, and associated wi-fi. I'll have a look to see if it has been reopened when I can. There's nowhere else close to that Travel Lodge to get breakfast.

The Adlington Little Chef is still boarded up.
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life it looks like ALL Little Chefs will cease trading around the end of 2017.

I was told that Market Research suggests that the travelling public prefer to eat & drink on the go rather than sit down and use a knife & fork so Greggs and the like will take over some sites.

R.I.P. Olympic Breakfast
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
R.I.P. Olympic Breakfast

Criminal!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer to stop off for a proper break on long journeys.

With my limited journeys we've only done McDonalds at Four Pools, Evesham of late.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find it hard to believe that there is no/low demand for services like Little Chef as when you visit North America and much of Europe there seems to be an "Pit Stop" every few miles or so.

I know there are Mobile Roadside Cafes in layby's but I will not use them.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an incentive for keeping the cams up to date. There is none for POIs. Perhaps the low take up rate of POI corrections reflects the importance given to them by members on this site. (Oldboy excepted, of course)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current tally of Little Chefs is 37. Down from 70!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The burger & chips places are taking over.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: