Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Get mySeat Ateca next week
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Get mySeat Ateca next week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamB554
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Get mySeat Ateca next week Reply with quote

Can you please tell me if I can update the sat Nav in my seat ateca Xcellence i am getting next week with speed camera alerts. I am currently using an old TomTom XL live but don't won't to stick in the window anymore
Thanks for any help! Try not to be to technical please.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, I am no whizz kid on this to be honest. But there are loads of posts on here from the owners of different cars etc. From what I can understand it will depend on whether the system in your car will accept 3rd party POI (Points of Interest), the same thing that allows your sat nav to display, hospitals, petrol stations etc.

Again, from answers to other posts, I think that if you have a hard drive system, then probably not. If you have an SD card system, then maybe you can remove the card copy it to another card and then add the PGPSW cameras. I have no idea if this works or how you actually do it - assuming you can.

Know none of this is much help, but is a general overview as i see it.
For what it's worth, I have an Audi, the satnav is crap and 2 years or more out of date when new. I can't put the cameras on that and use my mobile phone on the dash.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, you need to ask the dealership all about it, not just whether you can install the camera database, but also whether you can update it with maps and how much such updates cost (surely they have already sold some and should have that information). From my own experience and from what I have read, there isn't a single built in satnav in any vehicle which equals the performance of the XL Live you are accustomed to. Just for example, you connect your XL to your PC and download and install a new map in very short order and it will be the very latest TomTom map (they've just issued a map update yesterday, by the way) AND it will not have cost you any arms or legs to pay for it. And you can install PGPSW speed cameras in short order too.

In my Renault, a map update will cost me £40 for a single map of UK&ROI, Europe would be £80 or 90, it'll take me all afternoon, then it won't work and I'll spend a couple of days struggling to copy from a backup and getting it to work. I have last week bought the latest available map from Renault, cost £40, trashed the system until I could restore it over a couple of days. The TomTom map is v980, NINE months older than the map TomTom released yesterday v995, for your XL Live. The file system is not readable on my PC because it's proprietary (it's on an SD card, by the way). Although it is TomTom navigation, it is not supported by TomTom, only by Renault, who seem to know about as much about it as their latest brand new apprentice. Oh, by the way, the entire system wouldn't work at all when it was first delivered - it took the dealership three months to discover that it had to be registered by them (not me) first in order to work!

So..... before you take delivery, go into the dealership and find out how much of my experiences will apply to your new car.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with Audi a while back about updating the SD card maps.
£125 for the 'new licence' and card, about 25 mins to fit. Total cost just under £200. And they sugest you do this every year 'in order to have the most up to date system and get the most from it' Or words to that affect.
Yeah, get real.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: