Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

My old TomTom XXL accepts POI information and bitmaps inserted into the Europe_2GB folder without problem and all is lovely. However the instrument is old and now unreliable so I want a new one. When I enquire of TomTom or any of their suppliers if I can do the same with a new one I am told NO. Is this so and if it is so what satnavs can I do it with?

Yours Harry
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No TomTom since July 2012 will work.

Best bet is Garmin to be honest. Dead easy to add our speed cams and other POIs - also good for support and available in many high-street stores.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drivesmart 61LMT-D is a good buy from Halfords for £199.99. The (pretty much) edge to edge screen is a thing of beauty and turns a 6" satnav into a 7 incher (6.9 actually) and is only about 3mm in each direction larger than their 6" 2699LMT-D.
Apparently you can ad POIs to the newer TTs, but you can only navigate to them and there is no proximity warning which makes them about as much use as tits on a fish for the purposes of the PGPSW camera warning database.
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, I can't help wondering why people are still supplying POIs in the TomTom format, in that case. Any ideas why? It can't just be to service the old ones as there is five years since 2012 or though I suppose mine is older than that and if it had not started doing sill things after the last two updates I would be quite happy with it.

Can you suggest a Garmin that is the equivalent of a TT XXL?

Thanks to you as well, M8TJT

As for the adding to the newer TTs I am not interested in Cameras. I use the databases to find specific shops, pubs, restaurants and aires/stellplats. The bitmap is particularly important for the aires etc. (motorhome service points) as there are several types all differentiated by their bitmaps and some of them of no interest to us whatsoever. I use OsmAnd+ on a tablet as a moving map and that is considerably less use than it otherwise would be by the fact that it only displays stars of different colours rather than the bitmaps. As a result we need a crib sheet to translate, right nuisance. As long as the satnav displays the bitmap on the screen I am happy enough.

I recon that a deep sea fisherman might well appreciate fish with tits. I am going out in a minute and I shall have a look at that Drivesmart 61LMT-D

Kind regards, Harry
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivesmart 61LMT-D

Good choice
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

Hi harrytherid,

harrytherid wrote:
I can't help wondering why people are still supplying POIs in the TomTom format, in that case. Any ideas why? It can't just be to service the old ones as there is five years since 2012 or though I suppose mine is older than that

I think that it is indeed a legacy thing. TomTom were one of the first (if not the first) to allow third party POIs to be addd to their products. Therefore people who supply (and update) their own third party POIs have continued to supply TomTom .OV2 format POIs.

I also think that there are a lot of us out there who use old TomTom products so that we can use those important third party POIs.

I use the old legacy TomTom app on my iPhone, but the old app is no longer available and has been replaced by the TomTom GO Mobile app. The new GO app is (at time of writing this thread) still a poor comparison to the old app and of course GO Mobile does not support third party apps.

TomTom appear not to listen to their customers - so at the moment Garmin are gaining a lot of new users. Trouble is (for TomTom) once you lose that loyalty, it's very hard to get people back!

I might even have to go back to a PND so that I can use Garmin.

Anybody know if here is a decent Garmin app that takes third party POIs for iPhone?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. Navigon, owned by Garmin, doesn't allow them.

I went through this recently for an Android tablet. The only two offline Navigation apps I could find that supported 3rd party POIs and speed camera alerts were Mapfactor Navigator and Aponia.

Sygic and its various subsidiaries support importing 3rd party POIs but not warnings.

Co-Pilots import is broken at the moment.

Here and Scout don't allow 3rd party POIs.
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

Thanks all,

I had a look at the Drivesmart 61LMT-D this afternoon and very impressive it looked to me. Could someone talk me through the process of inserting POIs AND their attendant BITMAPS into the Drivesmart 61LMT-D in such a way as the bitmaps come up on the screen in the same way as the Garmin fuel symbol I was looking at. If I can get that clarified I shall go out and buy one forthwith.

Kind regards, Harry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rest assured that you can do that with spoken alerts as well. I have one so am 100% sure of that.
You can download the camera database direct from here, but there are other ways of making it better by using Kremmen's super CSV to GPX converter using which you can customise the camera alerts to suit your purpos.
His program looks a bit daunting to start with, but once you have used it once or twice, it's simples as they say.
A guide to using it is HERE and you will get all the help that you need from Kremen et. al. pretty much instantly as well, as long as you have RTFM Very Happy
The 'edge to edge' screen is a thing of beauty, making a 'standard' 6" satnav into a 7 incher.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever route you choose (CSV or GPX) for the cameras there is a moderate setting up procedure that must be followed to the letter.

CSV is covered in my Spoon Feed post and GPX is via the CSV Converter program. As M8 has said, there is a helpfile in the download.

Once it's setup the weekly, or whatever period you choose, update is a breeze that can be done in minutes.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

Hi there all, thanks for the replies. Everyone seems to think I am interested in camera locations, I am not. Apart from anything much of my driving is in France where the use of camera databases is illegal and in any case I tend to chug along within the speed limits quite happily. No I want certain shops, restaurants, aires and stellplats and many other things and it is important to me that the symbols (bitmaps) show up nice and clear and not cluttered. I have yet to look at the instructions enclosed with M8TJT's kind contribution in case it confuses me by being too camera centric. I hope I am not being obtuse but I am getting on a bit and must not clutter up the old brain with irrelevances.

Kind regards, Harry
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin POI information is here, should you wish to create your own

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

but there are many sites that already provide ready made POIs including here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

that have icons etc
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

harrytherid wrote:
Apart from anything much of my driving is in France where the use of camera databases is illegal

Well just for anyone reading this that isn't quite true, you can download warnings from both Garmin and TT that warn of 'danger zones', these are legal in France and in most cases the 'danger zones' will either contain a speed camera or a redlight camera.

The problem I find in France is the confusing way speed limits change and are applied, and the lack of speed limit repeaters. I use the speed camera database from here, but with some amendments so that it falls within the French law. I don't use camera icons, just a generic one that I've chosen and the voice warning is simply 'danger zone' Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps Reply with quote

harrytherid wrote:
Everyone seems to think I am interested in camera locations, I am not.
That's because this site is cameracentric, and posters are often not specific when they use the terms POIs. It's use mostly refers to the camera database, but, as in your case, not always.
Answers to POI questions will usually follow along speed camera lines until, like you have,' pointed us in a different direction.
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the, probably, very helpful advice. I am old and not too savvy with these things, used to be not too bad but age is getting to me so I need leading by the hand. I have now bought a drive smart 61LMT-D and have played with installing POIs with their attendant bitmaps as I used to with TomTom. Unfortunately I have failed to get them to work. To experiment, I have copied two files (Morrisons and Wetherspoons) to all the folders that look possible and the bitmap image (in BMP and PNG formats) to just about everywhere else and nothing. If I look under shops on the where to menu Morrisons pops up but as my nearest is literally a stones throw away (well with a decent catapult) that may have popped up anyway but no sign of the symbol. Wetherspoons does not come up even though I know where the nearest one is (about a mile) and have looked for it (their knife and fork symbol) and it does not show.
What is a "Loader" and where do I find it and how do I use it when I do find it?

Kind regards, Harry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: