Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom Poi categories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Poi categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Custom Poi categories Reply with quote

So I went ahead and bought a Garmin Drivesmart 50 LMT-D and spent the weekend using it on a trip to Norfolk.

Overall I am very pleased with it being a Tom Tom user for many years.

I found the map display clear and easy to see and voice navigation clear and unobtrusive. The PGPSW speed cams worked well, and I found the traffic data to be correct and reliable.

I have just a couple of questions that would make my user experience even better:

1. On the lower right display, I am currently displaying the arrival time. On the Tom Tom I could have extra items displayed there, like time remaining, current time etc. If I press the spanner icon I can select another item, but it will only display that one item. Is it not possible to have more that one item displayed at a time.

2. When I go on a trip, I generally create a custom POI category for that trip. I use google maps to find exact long/lat coordinates and then use poieditor.com to create the POI file. I've done this on the Garmin and used POI loader to put it on the sat nav. The issue is when I choose to navigate to one of the POI's in the category, I have to do the following:
a. chose Where To....,
b. then Categories......
c. then scroll all the way down past the inbuilt categories to other categories......
d. choose Custom POI's....
e. then scroll all the way down past the PGPSW speed camera categories where my custom POI is at the bottom of the list.

This is rather long winded and tedious.
On the Tom Tom, the last used category would be immediately available under navigate POI. Is there any way to do this on the Garmin?

d.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have 3 extra data fields on the right hand side. I don't have access to my device at the moment but from memory its under map tools in settings, enable trip data.

You can personalise the where to screen, tap on the icon there that says Personalise, or something similar. Not sure whether you can add custom poi categories using that but if it is possible it'll be there. I do something similar but I use BaseCamp to send them to my device as favourites with a category assigned, much easier that using POIs and easier to select as it's just where to, favourites and choose the category.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIloader can import custom POI categories from CSV files.

I've not done it but it should be easy enough. Doing it that way you can keep the master copy on your PC.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Poi categories Reply with quote

Hammer_2001_uk wrote:
So I went ahead and bought a Garmin Drivesmart 50 LMT-D and spent the weekend using it on a trip to Norfolk.

Overall I am very pleased with it being a Tom Tom user for many years.

e. then scroll all the way down past the PGPSW speed camera categories where my custom POI is at the bottom of the list.

This is rather long winded and tedious.
On the Tom Tom, the last used category would be immediately available under navigate POI. Is there any way to do this on the Garmin?

I had this initially, as I have several groups of POIs. E.g.:

Routing (useful via points)
Dancing (Morris and Folk dancing sites, split into groups)
etc
Cameras

What I found was that they display in the order they were put onto the nuvi.

So, my advice is to delete all your POI files and restart the GPS (to ensure it knows what it's got), then load the files in your chosen order, putting the cameras on last.

Hope that works for you.

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to my earlier post you can add Custom POIs to the where to screen, but not it seems categories within it. Should help cut down on some of the steps though.
Hammer_2001_uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I'm not familiar with BaseCamp.

But using that to set them up as favorites seems like a good solution.
Am I right in thinking you are saying you can have different categories within favorites, or are they just all listed together?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have loads of individual categories.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref Q2. Garmins put any user-defined POIs in their own category which as mentioned above can be moved to the screen after "Where To".

Garmin list the user-defined categories (Custom POIs) in Alphabetical order and the Voice Command function doesn't recognise the Custom POIs - just the pre-loaded ones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: