Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom owner without a computer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom owner without a computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v3man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: TomTom owner without a computer Reply with quote

A friend of mine who has no computer (and is not computer literate) has asked me if I can help with updating maps on his TOMTOM and has given me the following details - Model 4EN42 Z1230 C/No AY1503A90008 4EN4-001.08. He does not know it he has Lifetime Map Updates available.

Checking the TomTom website I cannot identify his model from the above information (not familiar with TomToms - I am a Garmin owner!) From his details above can anyone help me identify which model I should be looking at on the TomTom website please? Either way I can help him update on my computer if I know what model to work with on the website and he is happy to pay for the map update if necessary.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a TomTom Start20. Does THIS help? Google is your friend. well I think so anyway.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he now intends to update maps regularly and doesn't have a computer, he may be better off paying a little more initially and get one of the new models (from Garmin or TomTom) with WiFi updating - so he can update maps and often more via his home, work or a friends wifi (or mobile hotspot) with no computer needs all for the price of a unit, which stats around £100 (map packages are often £50+ for 1 year)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice but too late as he already has a Start 20. Razz
v3man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Owner without a computer Reply with quote

Success - i was able to download the latest maps for my friend through mu TomtOm account which i didn't realise was still open so it appears he has lifetime updates.

However he has phoned me this evening to say that he used the Start20 this afternoon but although it showed his actual speed the speed limit shown never varied from 30mph. Any ideas?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit data is embedded into the map data and is frequently less than accurate. Has he been driving through multiple speed limit changes to verify the impression that it's stuck on 30.
As the speed limit data is renowned for inaccuracy, the best plan is to ignore it and look out of the window for the speed limit signs. They are known to be deadly accurate. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'Lifetime Updates' read, 'until TomTom decide your model is a few years old'

We have a recent thread about a raft of TT models now unsupported and blocked from updates. Some only bought new a few years ago.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: