Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What a Minefield - Garmin or Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What a Minefield - Garmin or Tom Tom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessejazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TomTom and Garmin are the top sellers with good reason but there are as many who swear by one as the other.

Personally I find the Garmin display and interface not to my liking but others love it.....

As a driver covering about 100k-130k miles per year - I couldn't agree more but would add this.....

I feel the distinction between the two though is a little clearer depending on what PC you have and its use.

TomTom - I didn't like the pictorial type maps compared with the more graphical ones on Garmin. Not so good for doing house to house delivery work I have found. No SDcard slot.

Garmin - For monthly updates I use OpenSteetmap data downloading and copying to a SDcard (simpler and quicker than the Garmin download - not possible for me as a linux user). Rarely do I find fault in directions on OSM. My garmin is a 52LM which is now almost 3 years old. The screen I like as it is less tiring on the eyes than the phone apps I have tried.

One useful feature I've discovered is that allegedly it only provides one waypoint. Hmm... well what it does allow is 'pinning' a route rather than doing multiple waypoints. That is, one enters the waypoints manually in turn to take one along a certain route to a destination. I can't afford a truckers' satnav so I just look up the route for weight restrictions and bridges in the truckers' atlas - putting in the route I want to follow. (Also again as I use linux updates are not possible for a truck satnav). The phone truckers app I tried I was not impressed with and was a waste of money.

The drawback with my satnav is that there is no route view (one has to zoom out which is a pain and a bit slow). So I am looking to get another shortly that will do a route plan and more waypoints but so far the 52LM has been a godsend in my job. But she still does some silly routes occasionally and I tend to look on a map note the main roads to go down, and just use the satnav to 'bring me in' to the destination.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: