Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistersaxon wrote:

My point is that even a PND might be construed to fall under this legislation on the grounds above. If it's ok to tap away on screens that are in holders then the whole discussion here is moot because nobody hand-holds a PND or their phone whilst using a satnav app . But if the OP is correct then a PND in a holder (or a phone with satnav app) are all in the scope of this.

The fact is it doesn't. In any case, the new penalty ONLY applies to hand held phones so the £200 fine and 6 points wouldn't apply even IF touching a phone/sat nav in a cradle was illegal.
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO the OP is incorrect? Well good, because as I said, most satnavs need some interaction at some point, especially TomTom.

As you were, I'll go back to sleep now.
w/ Interphone BT headset on a Honda Blackbird (should change this really - the bike, not the headset)
cunnind
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard to understanding people Reply with quote

In control of vehicle was used for a well publiscised case about 15 years ago where a woman was prosecuted for eating, I think a banana, at traffic lights. Both hands on the wheel, no excuse. My hands free lets me do all at a press of a button or thumbwheel on my steering wheel.

TieJustice wrote:
It's quite simple,
you may not use ANY electronic device when in control of a vehicle (driver) ( mobile phone, satnav tablets, ( if it has a screen and you have to touch it, to interact with it, this includes built into the car, and even hands free can be used against you if you are found using it in a RTA)

In control of a vehicle, any time you are not parked ( in a safe legal and convenient place)

So waiting in traffic including traffice lights is in control of a vehicle.

So as in the new driving test, includes satnav, they stop in a safe, legal, conveneant place, then set the satnav for the independent driving.
Cool
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say to sussamb...terrific series of replies and comments by you, really helpful. You clearly have a thorough understanding of the topic. Thank you.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Very Happy
dgoadby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: There are exemptions. Reply with quote

As well as the Police you may be surprised to know that radio amateurs (and CBers I suspect) can use two way radios when mobile providing the equipment is a two-way device and does not operate on any of the mobile phone frequencies.

You can read it here:http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/regulation/2/made

There is also an exclusion if you are using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999 or
acting in response to a genuine emergency.
leonbp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Please be clear on the law Reply with quote

This site shouldn't be propagating the blur of what's legal and what is being pushed as being safe. As per previous replies, there seems to be a real lack of clarity of what level and nature of interaction with a non-handheld, cradle-mounted phone is permissable. With respect to sat nav functionality, I have also read a lot of references to "out of the 45 degree angle of driver's view" - does anyone have any idea what this means, especially in terms of actual law?
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:
so, are you allowed to tap the screen to answer it handsfree using the in-built loudspeaker ?.... surely no different from, say, switching radio stations or operating other switches in the car

apparently and I will try and find a link, you must not touch a mobile phone, EVEN if mounted.

So pressing a screen is considered using.

However, if you press a button, say on the steering wheel that is ok.

People can also be fined for 'not in control' I think that is still 3 points.

Please don't shoot the messenger

HTH
leonbp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Surrey Police seem to say you can have "minimal contact" with a cradled phone: https://t.co/Ff6UhVd89d
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I doubt it because that, despite the reports, is legal. The legislation is about the use of hand held phones, by definition one in a holder is not 'hand held'.

Nope, that is not the case, you are still using.
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonbp wrote:
Well, Surrey Police seem to say you can have "minimal contact" with a cradled phone: https://t.co/Ff6UhVd89d

Laughing

Not Kent ....

I will find the info and post.
leonbp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:
sussamb wrote:
I doubt it because that, despite the reports, is legal. The legislation is about the use of hand held phones, by definition one in a holder is not 'hand held'.

See Q2 in this article about the actual legislation: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/health-and-safety/NOT22MobilePhones.pdf

You may well be using it, no debate on that, it's just that cradled, it's no longer a hand-held device.
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just as a passenger ...

CMPG - Road Policing‏
@Trafficwmp

Follow
More
Driving instructor caught texting whilst supervising a student . Apparently running late for next appointment! #nohope Wheatsheaf Sheldon,

A warning to parents with learner drivers
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonbp wrote:
andyuk99 wrote:
sussamb wrote:

See Q2 in this article about the actual legislation: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/health-and-safety/NOT22MobilePhones.pdf

You may well be using it, no debate on that, it's just that cradled, it's no longer a hand-held device.

thanks, will read

Read ... I suspect the 'not in control' will come into play ... Some people will argue and that will be their doom ....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:
How about just as a passenger...
Driving instructor caught texting whilst supervising a student . Apparently running late for next appointment!
He wasn't a passenger. He was a supervisor and as such should have his full attention on the road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: