Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin DriveLuxe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin DriveLuxe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Garmin DriveLuxe Reply with quote

I know a couple of users on here have this model unit, so can you advise if you still only a ding noise for the driver alerts or have garmin updated to give you voice alerts.

Also is the map display the same as the old 3598 with 3D terrain or is it the standard flat view

Is there any issues like the 3598 (grey blocks on screen as couldn't draw fast enough)

Can you still display selective POI on the screen

I'm possible looking at moving back to Garmin due to the issues with TT since updates earlier this year that has disabled features and rendered other important features (like lane guidance) from working properly. This along with the fact they still haven't got full POI working.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 3d terrain but not 3d buildings as there used to be on Garmin's top end sat navs - I wonder what they did with the data they'd gather over all the years they modelled buildings.....

Map redraw is pretty quick - you get the occasional stutter but I wonder if that's a symptom of having full European maps on the disk as the sat nav has to go looking for the data.

Driver alerts for railways, bends, school crossings, animal crossings etc.. have an orange bar at the top which is accompanied by a 'ding' - no voice alert :-(

POIs work fine - I have a load of MaFt's POIs from years ago still displaying (although the 24x24 size is smaller of the DriveLuxe range due to the higher pixel count - they are fine on a DriveSmart).
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention your concern about full European mapping and performance. I've often wondered if the larger database would have any effect. I wonder if the new global map has any performance hit.

When the latest map set wouldn't fit on my 2597 test machine I just installed UK&I, job done.

With regards to POI sizes, whilst I had the DriveAssist for 24 hrs I installed the 44x44 size POI's and they worked fine. Using 44's for the cameras certainly makes them stand out and are more easily spotted before the warning kicks in.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the full EU map off a card on my 2508 and don't have any 'stuttering' ... so I'd be surprised if the map is causing any issues.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the 'stuttering' only seems to affect the 'top end range' of Garmins. I've seen in on the 3790 range and well as the DriveLuxe range but never on the 25xx or DriveSmart ranges - perhaps its the higher pixel count causing the issue.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly possible Smile
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback

still debating on which device to get

I currently have the go5000 and with TT removing features (traffic alert voice notifications), having major issues with other features (lane guidance not working correctly if at all) and the ongoing problems with custom POI and the searching of POI is making me want to switch. Their predictive route is also hit and miss and 99% of the time never displays the option.

I also use my old mobile Nexus 6P for use a dashcam and have got Go on that but that has it's own issues, lane guidance works about 0.5% of the time (this has been logged with TT but how long before it's fixed is anybody's guess) - Has a habit of crashing (not sure if this is because of GPS or mobile signal loss) - the thing that seems better is the routing and traffic (TT don't seem to know or won't advise if it uses the same providers as their PND products) - traffic alerts also work and predictive route works.

Live Services vary between both the app and pnd - the pnd seems to lose live services more often than the app. The other issues with the lane guidance, junction exit view, traffic notifications are all software issues that affect both products (even the latest Go range is affected)

I have also tried Sygic but that use's TT services for cameras and traffic, but is not on par with the GO app and is over a year out of date for the camera information. This also suffers the same issues as TT in crashing and not sure if related to GPS or mobile signal. But even with a good signal I have seen it stop updating and only solution is to pullover, exit the app and restart it.

All three products have the issue of where TT have removed parts (like landmark features) from the maps to keep the size down. When checking for the same features on Garmin and Google these are there, so does seem to only be TT removing them. The searching of custom POI is ridiculous and 99.99% of time doesn't work - even if you use the MyDrive app to search your POI it doesn't work.

On the mobile I use CamerAlert for speedcam notification, but as the app runs in the background I need to also have the GO app notify of speed cameras otherwise you are not sure how far away they are until CA alerts you.

It would be good if CA could display an overlay all the time for cameras.

My solution would be to get a decent Garmin and dedicated Dashcam and only have the app and satnav on phone as a backup if it is needed.

Also there is currently £70 off this unit at the moment
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add any more because I only use my 2599 for the PGPSW cams and Garmins (Inrix) digital traffic, both of which are perfectly OK for me.

I use a Nextbase 402G for my dashcam and my built in Honda/Alpine unit for navigation as it has voice control, touchscreen and steering wheel fingertip control.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Kremmen,

The traffic is always going to be an issue no matter which provider you go with - Garmin use DAB and it is not available in all areas and TT use 2G which again is not in all areas.

Not sure if it is still possible, but what I also liked about the Garmin was the ease of moving your favourites and poi between devices. The latest TomTom's use the cloud but you can only link one device to it, the same as your registration for the device - one email=one device.

Also on the TT if you have no live services you have no cameras (mobile and temporary cameras) which is why I rely on the PGSW database.

I have been looking at the Nextbase units, mate has 512 and his dad the 412 (with built-in Wifi) and they both recommend them - they say night recording is also good on them
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Garmin 2599, I think the lane guidance works very well - and the Photo-real Junction View is very good indeed where available eg motorway junctions and expanding.

The digital traffic is excellent, as said above.

Dales.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^

Wot he said Smile
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's one thing that doesn't work on the TomToms at the moment and when driving from Leeds to Dudley we had no lane guidance when trying to work out exactly which way we should be going.

the only way to get it working now and it is hit and miss is to fully power off the unit and then power back up - but even then its 1 in 3 chances it will work or not.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the traffic, you also have the choice of Smartlink, bluetooth to your phone.

The cable uses Inrix but the last time I used Smartlink that used viaMichelin. I deduced that from some of the Smartlink data having 'MaaS' in the wording which I found to be a viaMichelin term. (I think it was MaaS, or something similar)

There was a period down here where Smartlink was useless because viaMichelin was filling the buffer with roadworks*, most of them obsolete, but I gave it a run on my 2597 only a few weeks ago and it seemed OK on my test route from Heathrow to Woking and return that takes in the M25, one of the routes that failed to populate traffic due to the buffer issue.

*when I investigated, a couple of years ago, I found exactly 200 local roadworks incidents being reported. Even on a friday afternoon there were no yellow or red traffic incidents which was obviously wrong.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that happens on the tomtom devices as well regarding roadworks and delays being displayed on the unit when there aren't any.

when i'm driving in unfamilar locations and wondering which motorway i should be switching to and which lane to be in, i would expect the software to show me if its supposed to have that feature. i know with the garmin I never had a problem and it always showed the information

been reading some reviews on amazon and a few are saying issues with BT connection, and that they use that to receive traffic updates - i thought this was built-in and you only need traffic if no dab signal

anyone noticing issues with the BT features - does it constantly disconnect and must you leave your device screen on while using the app
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any BT connection issues but are these issues just a 'drive' unit problem.

Last time I used BT in anger was quite a few years ago on my 2597.

Shouldn't be a problem as the phone to Garmin distance is probably only a few feet.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: