Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Europe DEM file on a Garmin Nuvii 3598LMTD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe DEM file on a Garmin Nuvii 3598LMTD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Europe Dem file for Nuvii 3598 LMTD, recently deleted Reply with quote

Quite frankly, I didn't realise that so many 3598 owners were affected by Garmin's sneaky removal of the Europe DEM file. Obviously they sold quite a few of these. So exactly why have they done this?

When the DEM file is there, the effect is amazing. However I don't believe that most Nuviis, except the 3598, don't have the ability to use the terrain DEM file.

I believe that an organisation with clout in the satnav world is needed to chivvy Garmin into releasing the DEM file, even if for the few that require it.

I for one will NOT be buying another Garmin product in future untill they honour their legal committment to buyers of their product range.

Yes, I know they reserve the option to call time on the "life time" guarantee they give to Garmin products, and yes, I acknowledge they need to sell product to make profit to maintain their promises to purchasers, but what they have done is very, very, sneaky, and unacceptable.

So please, can PWGPS and / or other powerful satnav forums get involved at a higher level and pressurise Garmin?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are aware of the issue and have promised a resolution. CN NA 2017.30 has just been released which includes the DEM file. I doubt if they have more than one 'mapping team' so now the NA map is out the way they will be able to turn their attention to resolving the EU DEM issue. Sometimes you just need to be patient Smile

I doubt though it affects as many owners as you might think, most will have back ups of the file and will simply restore from the back up.
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fired off an email to say I'm not satisfied with their lack of response. Bearing in mind I have 8 Garmin devices, I have requested they swap my 3597 for a DriveLuxe 50LMT-HD as a gesture of goodwill.

I await their reply with baited breath.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I doubt though it affects as many owners as you might think, most will have back ups of the file and will simply restore from the back up.
I also suspect that you overestimate the 'most' of owners who actually do this in such a a fashion as to have
a. fully backed it up in the first place and
b. have the skills to do the restore even if they are aware that it can be done.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Garmin have goofed and they are working on replacing the file in the 2017.30 release then why not reply with that.

They clearly have an issue with providing a link, presumably because they think their users are too stupid to replace the file themselves and want GE to do it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're probably right. That's why now the default setting is mtp and the maps are in a .system folder normally not visible. When maps were in the Garmin folder there were all sorts of issues with owners deleting files in error Wink
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Europe Dem file for Nuvii 3598 LMTD, recently deleted Reply with quote

Probably why Garmin never issued a fully updated user manual explaining the difference between various versions of the 259 and 359 series, including MTP and MASS STORAGE.

As it is, the manual they did issue was for the "395# Series"and not easy to find and download, and the "HELP" files on the device aren't convenient when required.

Nevertheless, Garmin should NOT have removed anything covertly without up front notification.

Can I say a big thank you to all members who got involved and contributed towards this discussion.

I originally thought that I was one of the very few with a 3598!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that are following TomTom's idea of removing pretty much everything that the user fins useful and replacing it with something they don't.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Europe Dem file for Nuvii 3598 LMTD, recently deleted Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:

Nevertheless, Garmin should NOT have removed anything covertly without up front notification.

I don't think there was any intention to remove things 'covertly', just an error in Express. A while back Express when doing a map update removed all voice files in error. These things occasionally happen. Given that Express has now been going for many years now, has to cope with every Garmin device from car devices through handheld GPS to fitness devices I'm surprised we don't see more glitches like this one Wink
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Sorry sussamb, I doubt many users would have a full backup of their units
(even those who should have known better Embarassed ).
A full backup requires a positive action to do so which most normal users would not even think about, consider or even know how to do. GE only backups the user data, and that is probably what most users would have done.

In addition there must be thousands who never look at forums like this one, so would happily update and get on with their lives, ignorant of the real situation. I feel most of them would not have realised of any thing being amiss, and written off the change in map image as due to the new update (are we sure that Garmin were not hoping for this?)

In fact I feel most of us wouldn't have realised it if it hadn't been mentioned originally by lillyelse.

CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a belated thank you to lillyelse for sending me a copy of his DEM file.
Much appreciated. All seems well now.
Needless to say, I now have a full backup.
Nothing from Garmin after the last email telling me that they will contact me when they have an answer to the problem(!)

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite pathetic for a company of Garmins size.

I have to guess that Garmin deliberately removed it and future updates will do the same.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if they have. In any case if it were me I'd call Garmin and find out what the updated situation is. A new Express version has been released, but suspect that won't help. The nearest previous problem like this was a few years back when a map update deleted voice files. These had to be replaced from a back up or reinstalled, not simply by running a new map update.

For those missing it Garmin should simply be able to supply the file if asked, or it's available on the Web as already noted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: