Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin DriveAssist (with dashcam)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin DriveAssist (with dashcam)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you how it goes, straight back to Halfords and got a refund.

In the flesh the camera footage is not as clear as the NextBase due to the mounting limitations. I got an annoying dash/windscreen reflection plus the mount isn't as secure as the Nextbase so I got some vibration.

I also found the mount to be quite fiddly compared to my 2599.

Good idea but not for me.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Garmin Drive Assist with DashCam Reply with quote

I have used mine for one month now driving across France and the U.K. I like the product, the improved intelligence and the better mount. I have used Garmin since the StreetPilot days so I am somewhat biased. The only negative are the traffic updates in the UK only. There I was on a massive traffic on the M25 with almost no movement. Garmin said "no traffic on your route"!!! My in-car system correctly predicted the traffic. Why?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that 'no traffic' from the cable or Smartlink ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Dashcam Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Was that 'no traffic' from the cable or Smartlink ?

Was on Smartlink at the time. On my return I disconnected Smartlink and got better traffic results. However in France there was no discernible difference.

Make sense?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

The M25, western section, clockwise, is where my original Smartlink issues surfaced.

It used to be fine and I got correct traffic data but around May/June 2013 is when I got the same as you, sat stationary in traffic between junctions 13 and 15 but the screen showing no traffic. Not a one off but every journey home.

I also noticed a plethora of roadworks appearing about the same time which I believe filled some buffer and was stopping the newer traffic data getting through.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremin looks like you made a good decision when you backed the DriveAssist,,,below is the email to Garmin.
I purchased the 1st DriveAssist 50 on -21 Jun 2016 & since then I have had 3 YES 3 replacements over the following few weeks .After a few days all have had the same fault I.E. the camera stops working and I get the " SD card needs formatting again and again ,so the camera is useless ",The first 3 were updated but not the 4th one ,in case it was the update causing the problem but its not so . I cannot believe that that I am that unlucky to have 4 DUFF units , either this is a bad batch that Halfords have or there is a serious fault with these units . I have been a Garmin fan for many years recommending them to family and friends , but I am really disappointed with these latest units as I was really looking forward to using it especially after the good review the BBC gave it , and I would really like a fully working unit but I am now at a loss as to how I can get one .So it looks like a refund and back to my reliable 1490 plus my Nextbase dash cam .
21/06/16 4H4008316
07/07/16 4H4010497
28/07/16 4H4011592
01/08/16 4H4008236
04/08/16 CAMERA STOPS WORKING ONCE AGAIN
Regards P.P.

Now the really helpful reply from Garmin
Dear PP

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
I am happy to help with your enquiry.
As your contract of purchase is with a retailer rather than with us you would need to take the device back to them and discuss any possible refund.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support,,,,, BUT OF COURSE YOU WONT
Kind regards,
Chris
Garmin Europe
When you think that Garmin make navigation equipment for aircraft and sea going super yachts they seem to producing rubbish products and do not want to discuss or rectify the really bad faults .
Dissappointed ,disillusioned, disgusted and really quite pi==ed off with Garmins attitude.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they're right because of our consumer laws which in the main are very good. Retailers can't just pass the buck but have to take responsibility.

My 1490 proved extremely reliable, and is now a back up to my 2508, also extremely reliable.

Seems the Drive models are to be avoided at the moment Crying or Very sad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find the new softer colours to be quite clear but that offset mount causing vibration and poor quality camera were deal breakers.

What I don't understand, even with the 2599 was the decision to go to a glass screen. I can position and angle my 2597 anywhere and the matt screen has no reflections.
The 2599 has to be angled, just so, or all I can see is a bright white reflection of a rear or rear side window. Fortunately I have found the right angle.
People with convertibles must be having real issues seeing the screen of glass fronted units.

The Garmin support line I've found to be useless. They are like the Indian support lines where they seem to have a pack of cue cards to read from. If your issue isn't explicitly covered then they are not allowed to think for themselves and they offer to exchange the unit as the fix.
Basically they don't understand their products.

I remember one support agent a few years ago not understanding why I could not see the map files. Turned out to be the difference between MTP and mass storage modes that he obviously didn't know about.
Garmin training eh Rolling Eyes
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the reflection issue I purchased a "2x BROTECT Matte Screen Protector for Garmin nüvi 2599LMT-D Protection Film"off of ebay and found this solved all reflection problems £3.99 post free ,screen clarity seems even better with it on .
PP
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Unfortunately they're right because of our consumer laws which in the main are very good. Retailers can't just pass the buck but have to take responsibility.

My 1490 proved extremely reliable, and is now a back up to my 2508, also extremely reliable.

Seems the Drive models are to be avoided at the moment Crying or Very sad

Hi sussamb
Iunderstand the consumer laws ,but I really don't think that you can lay the the problems I had at the door of Halfords , in fact
Halfords have been really great in their response to my problems allthough they are only the retailers .Where as response from Garmin the manafacturers of these FOUR DUFF UNITS was worse than usless and a bloody disgrace for an international company.

I too keep my 1490 as a back up for a DriveLuxe50 LMTD which I have been trying for a week
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I found annoying was the change to voice control.

On my 2599 I tell it what I want it to do and it obliges. The commands are straightforward and easily memorised. The latest units have changed voice control to a multi layer system where you have a menu and you shout a number at it which is indicated on screen.

Some sequences require more than one voice control. I think there are 3 layers for some commands from memory.

Before this though you have to pre program your voice into the unit by saying all the numbers from one to nine so it recognises you. When I tried doing that it kept telling me that two and three then four and five sounded too similar so rejected my three and five command.
I ended up having to be stupid and saying thrrreeeeee and fiiiiive in a silly manner to get to accept.

So instead of the current 'go home' it's something like two then seven, or whatever.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sanxiao
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been using the DriveAssist in Spain for the last 3 months or so. Have mounted it on the dashboard using the Garmin Flexible Mount - given modern windscreens with reduced glass height, don't think windscreen mounts should be used. The flexible mount provides a jointed arm, so vertical adjustment isn't a problem. As noted above, the dashcam's lens is so wide that capturing a reasonable image isn't a problem.

Garmin's software for viewing video footage is fairly basic - almost back to programs of the Sinclair Spectrum era - so slow

Other features of the unit, such as lane departure and collision warning are fairly crude - it doesn't recognise "dotted" lane markings only continuous lines - so it's more a carriageway departure aid.

Speed limit, bends, animal crossing warnings are only as good as the underlying database - one bug is that it gives the same warning for a railway level crossing as for a bridge over a railway line.

Although it is a "lifetime free updates" unit, when trying to load the latest map it tried to charge me for it - Garmin UK couldn't sort it, but Garmin Spain did

Overall, probably 6/10 - must try harder

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: