Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Average Speed Cameras Planned for A21
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Speed Cameras Planned for A21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Average Speed Cameras Planned for A21 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

The MP for Bexhill and Battle, Huw Merriman, has put his weight behind the plan to introduce average speed cameras on the A21 between Hastings to Lamberhurst.

The move follows a spate of serious accidents on the road - the stretch between Hurst Green and Hastings has been named the most dangerous road in England.

Mr Merriman commented: "I am pleased that for the interim, Highways England is currently in the design stage of a proposal to introduce average speed cameras between Lamberhurst and Baldslow, just north of Hastings. Whilst this measure may not be popular with some drivers, it is clear that we need to do something now to encourage drivers to keep to the speed limits which protect our communities along the A21 and other road users."

He added: "Should this additional safety measure be implemented, we are pressing Highways England to consider reopening the duelled section north of Hurst Green in order to deliver both safety and extra road-space."

He also acknowledged that major road improvements take time to achieve.

Source
email icon

pdfbt40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of those accidents had excessive speed as the primary cause.
I'd put many down to inattention when overtaking, or turning right, etc due to the bad design of the dual carriageway.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the A21 quite a few times in the past going down to Rye. It has long stretches of single carriageway and it just takes one sunday driver to start the dodgy overtakes in inappropriate places.

The dual carriageway bits also get some serious speeding as they try and get past the crawlers and where it merges into one lane is dangerous.

The above could be applied anywhere though.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdfbt40 wrote:
I wonder how many of those accidents had excessive speed as the primary cause.
I'd put many down to inattention when overtaking, or turning right, etc due to the bad design of the dual carriageway.

Perhaps, but accidents at higher speeds are more dangerous than ones at slower speeds, and at slower speeds may be avoided altogether, even by those where drivers are 'inattentive'.
pdfbt40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the 'top' end of the A21, though similar to the subject section from Battle into Hastings. Its mainly dual carriageway and reasonably straight so overtaking is possible if there is lane discipline, which typically it isn't. The other I mentioned is the classic break in the centre reservation for a right turn across the opposite carriageway. It requires good judgement of highspeed oncoming traffic; a skill which seems to disappearing.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live just off it near Hurst Green and I have seen some 'interesting' overtaking over the years. Its not helped by the locals who are well above the average age for England.

There is nowhere to overtake from the end of the Lamberhurst by-pass to well after after Battle. The junctions at Bedgebury and Merriments are renowned for accidents as well.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well above the average age for England.

The real problem is people who are well under the average age for England who have learned to pass a driving test, not how to drive.

If there's one thing you can guarantee it is that pushing for the introduction of cameras will be seen as assuring a politician of ballot box support.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
There is nowhere to overtake from the end of the Lamberhurst by-pass to well after after Battle. The junctions at Bedgebury and Merriments are renowned for accidents as well.
That's why I always go Seddlescome - Hawkhurst, missing out a lot of the A21. Straightish roads, little traffic, plenty of placed for overtaking.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdfbt40 wrote:
That's the 'top' end of the A21, though similar to the subject section from Battle into Hastings. Its mainly dual carriageway and reasonably straight so overtaking is possible if there is lane discipline, which typically it isn't.
It's nothing like the top end. The top end is all dual carriageway and the bottom end is all single carriageway with two exceptions, and one of those has been coned off to make it single carriageway
Quote:
The other I mentioned is the classic break in the centre reservation for a right turn across the opposite carriageway.
That is exactly the reason they gave for coning it off. Traffic turning right off the B2079. Crossing the southbound and joining the northbound in the outside lane.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
That's why I always go Seddlescome - Hawkhurst, missing out a lot of the A21. Straightish roads, little traffic, plenty of placed for overtaking.

That's the route I've always taken. It makes for a much more pleasant journey through countryside too.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but of late I've been getting the HS1 train out of St Pancras to Ashford (135mph) then Rye is 3 stops from Ashford (when they are not on strike).

Not much in it than driving from Heathrow area and with my free travel to St Pancras and my rail discount card not much price difference.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Off topic but of late I've been getting the HS1 train out of St Pancras to Ashford (135mph)
That's outrageous! And you're one of those geeks here who says we shouldn't speed. I hope you lose your licence!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Part of that section runs parallel to a motorway, down by Maidstone, and it's interesting to see my phone app showing close on the 135 max and some cars seem to be not that much slower, certainly not half speed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back yesterday evening and having witnessed someone who decided unbroken double white lines were discretionary when overtaking four cars doing about 55, I am not sure that this will make a scrap of difference.

At a guess from the car (large, new Merc estate), the driver was aged 40+. He just got back in before oncoming traffic came around the blindish bend.

Average speed cameras wouldn't have picked him up.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report via http://www.operationcrackdown.org/ particularly if you have dashcam footage Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: