Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding Tickets Issued Against Guidelines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding Tickets Issued Against Guidelines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanwhite_snr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APPROPRIATE speed.... And I will often be found doing 20 in a 30 limit if I think it is unsafe to go quicker. It is POSSIBLE that I have traveled on empty motorways at very high speeds.... And possible I didn't...

The goons running the speed camera schemes have no concept of safety, just setting rules designed to maximise revenue... And too many "goody two shoes" on here come to mind...

Sorry Guys, an inflammatory post, I know, but it is my opinion. And approaching 67 takes me out of the "boy racer" category?
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
JimmyTheHand wrote:

Now how much time does it take to check your speedometer

Fraction of a second, same for checking mirrors. Part of the information gathering process that makes a good driver .... Google IPSGA Smile

at 30 mph you travel 2.6 metres in 0.2 of a second - a distance you considered non-negligible if I read your post correctly. Personally I suspect it is more likely to be more than 0.5 seconds which you can travel more than 6 metres - the interesting thing is you won't see anything as you move your eyes because your brain will just switch off the visual processing and as a result probably not aware of how much you don't see. Interesting article on safety and vision - What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road

Now this isn't an issue if you leave plenty of space, adjust your speed accordingly and do it at the right points - and likely your training will make it all automatically done safely. However how many drivers on the road drive safely, or even understand what is safe is. Though safe is relative so perhaps low risk is a better term because even the most dangerous drivers seem to get away with it a lot.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, It was you who started this off in post#7 with a wild unsubstantiated claim about insignificant increase in stopping distance and exposure to risk for less time. Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This techno stuff is too much for me. Will somebody please promise me that if I drive under the speed limit I'll live another 2.2360679775 squared years? PLEASE?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, It was you who started this off in post#7 with a wild unsubstantiated claim about insignificant increase in stopping distance and exposure to risk for less time. Rolling Eyes

If they were really wild then you'd be able to dismiss them with relevant research - but there lies the problem no one seems interested in doing such research to show what risks are relevant, whether draconian prosecution for speeding changes driver behaviour and whether that makes it more or less safe - I suspect because if you did you'd hit Persistence of belief and that is complex and involves statistics rather than something nice and simple like "speed kills"
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
I suspect because if you did you'd hit Persistence of belief
Another more topical name for that is 'Urban Myth'. Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
"speed kills"

To completely misquote the NRA: "Speed doesn't kill people. People do."

And here ends my unhelpful post of the day!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: