Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuffer4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Garmin 2440 and have updated the maps a couple of times and I think it's great, but..............

I have not found a way, if indeed it is even possible, to enter way points, or just go here via this one point, I know I could upload .gpx files but that's very time consuming if you only need from here goto Newport via Hereford.

For those very detailed routes for me it's OsmAnd on my tablet uploading Google maps .gpx files which works a treat !

Adding this feature to my Garmin would be the cream on the cake.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you ask :D :D

I still have my old TomTom one V4 which still does most of what I want but is not updatable Sad Sad

But not being a Luddite I also have most of the apps out there.

I want to see all or any of my pushpins on the screen so I can see where they are in relation to each other, like National trust places near to my camp sites so I can plan a route, maybe also places where I can get LPG on enroute.

I want all my devices to be in sync with eachother so if I add a new place (or delete one) it happens on all of them either via Bluetooth or WiFi, it should be simple enough as they're all Android, no fruit based devices here :D :D

To be honest Maps.me does get very close to my needs, but guidance is not great, and only one choice of route, the search needs a really good kick.

A new one I'm trialling is Magic Earth from Route 66, which looks like it may become a favourite if they implement some of my recent suggestions to them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth

The one app I wish would sort itself out is CoPilot, it offers so much but doesn't really deliver, IE Default POI categories we can't delete, combined with a limit of how many of our own we can have, you cannot see distant POIs along the route when in the planning stage, only in a small radius, although it does give route options, they are sometimes ludicrously long (I have examples of those) not to mention actually getting POIs onto a device, a real PITA as you all know.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffer4 wrote:
I have an old Garmin 2440 and have updated the maps a couple of times and I think it's great, but..............

I have not found a way, if indeed it is even possible, to enter way points, or just go here via this one point, I know I could upload .gpx files but that's very time consuming if you only need from here goto Newport via Hereford.

For those very detailed routes for me it's OsmAnd on my tablet uploading Google maps .gpx files which works a treat !

If I understand you correctly you can do that. Do an initial Where to, select your destination and hit Go. Once the route has calculated do another Where to and this time select the via point and hit Go. You'll be asked if you want to start a new route or add it to the existing route. Choose add to existing route and your nuvi will then add the viapoint in.
gwynnej3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Abilit to add my own POIs is what is most important Reply with quote

Ability to add my own POIs is what is most important, including Pocket GPS World speed camera alerts.

JG
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Abilit to add my own POIs is what is most important Reply with quote

gwynnej3 wrote:
Ability to add my own POIs is what is most important, including Pocket GPS World speed camera alerts.

JG

There is a stand alone app for that which is free if you're a paid member, "cameralert" although it has yet to warn me when using an app without speed cams.

For the above I think the Magic earth app, my do if that's all you need, it has speed cams, and you can add your own POIs.
Sheryck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to Darren's reqest for SatNav features. Reply with quote

Hi Darren, what I have used for years and wish could be incorporated in SatNav apps is the PC version of TYRE which enables a complicated itinery to be created and downloaded with ease. A close second and the best app without doubt is OsmAnd but a little geeky for some. TomTom's Windy Routes is no substitute when it comes to creating an interesting motorcycle route. Thumbs Up
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Darren's reqest for SatNav features. Reply with quote

Sheryck wrote:
Hi Darren, what I have used for years and wish could be incorporated in SatNav apps is the PC version of TYRE which enables a complicated itinery to be created and downloaded with ease. A close second and the best app without doubt is OsmAnd but a little geeky for some. TomTom's Windy Routes is no substitute when it comes to creating an interesting motorcycle route. Thumbs Up

Do you have a link to this TYRE program, I won't even bother to Google that one for obvious reasons :D :D

Okay gorrit

http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/download-tyre-basic/
GBsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: GPS what I would like... Reply with quote

I live in DEVON and one of the problem with the current TOMTOM 1005 or any of them is the lack of control to select road types.. TOMTOM routing program assumes that a 60mph road is faster than an A road going through a 40 mph small town. However all country roads and single tracks are national speed limit ie 60mph BUT the actual speed/safe speed is well down below 40 mph.. Therefore the A road at 40mph is much faster than the back single track road..

I / we need a button which says "don't route via" then list road types A B C D & M etc to give free choice. Like now we can say no to :- Ferries or toll road.
CWT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Sat nav wish list Reply with quote

My main bugbears with my car sat nav is it doesn't show current speed & clock is far too small & mixed with other data
Chuffer4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote.....I have an old Garmin 2440 and have updated the maps a couple of time and I think it's great, but..............

I have not found a way, if indeed it is even possible, to enter way points, or go here via this one point, I know I could upload .gpx files but that's very time consuming if you only need from here goto Newport via Hereford.

For those very detailed routes for me it's OsmAnd on my tablet uploading Google .gpx files which works a treat !

sussamb wrote at 11.04 If I understand you correctly you can do that. Do an initial Where to, select your destination and hit Go. Once the route has calculated do another Where to and this time select the via point and hit Go. You'll be asked if you want to start a new route or add it to the existing route. Choose add to existing route and your nuvi will then add the viapoint in.

Chuffer You do understand me correctly and as you correctly say it works !.

Not the sort of thing you would try having entered one destination to try to enter another so I never saw the add to route message.

Remember the days when to used to get a printed manual, or even one on a CD, with your purchase that you could sit and read to discover all it's features.

Thanks for the heads up, that's the quickest I've ever had wish list features added..
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'd like to see

• the ability for it to "learn"... i.e you go a set way every time for part of a long route but the satnav calculates the same different route every time...appreciate you'll eventually meet up, you can force a via or it recalcuates when its got over being annoyed at you....but be nice if it got it right 1st time..
• As per numerous ideas, the ability to pick and choose what pois to show (Garmin)
• Again its been asekd but the ability to use the device with a start/end average speed display
• The Nicky Grist/Colin McRae voice pack - Left 30 over crest, Four left Opens into a Five left Plus...etc
or the Murray Walker/James Hunt one Turn Left at junction....its right Murray.. :-)

Keep up the good work guys...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:

• the ability for it to "learn"... i.e you go a set way every time for part of a long route but the satnav calculates the same different route every time...appreciate you'll eventually meet up, you can force a via or it recalcuates when its got over being annoyed at you....but be nice if it got it right 1st time...

Garmin myTrends is meant to do exactly that Wink
johnrobinson123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: I'd like to see altitude Reply with quote

It would nice to see altitude displayed on tomtom screen. So when going up mountains you are able to see what hight I'm at.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can on Garmins but elevation data derived from GPS isn't that accurate.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm on a motorway for the next x miles, I would like a unit that switches its display off until, say, 3 miles before I need to know anything rather than being on continuously.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: