Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features Reply with quote

Most of us have, by now, settled on a PND or satnav software solution that works for us. Some of you will be diehard Garmin users, others TomTom and for smartphone users the range is ever growing with a number of decent free options such as Google and Apple Maps.

But what do the currently available range of devices and apps lack that you'd like to see? What features would you wish to have in your ideal satnav that are currently missing?

I'm interested to hear what you'd add to the features list, for me the omission of ETA and distance to destination on the main view are deal breakers and it's always a surprise to find apps that don't include it. GPS speed is also something I use a lot, particularly to set the cruise control in SPECS zones.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully all the recent Garmin satnavs include the ability to show numerous data fields, including options for ETA and distance to destination amongst others Smile

The only additional option I'd like to see is the ability to choose which POIs and favourites I want to display on the map, rather than simply having to accept Garmin's default.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd like about 99% of This list - that is all of it except the compass. Plus faster working of the Live services so that they don't slow it down.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Thankfully all the recent Garmin satnavs include the ability to show numerous data fields, including options for ETA and distance to destination amongst others Smile

So does my TomTom Via 135M. I don't know about more recent TTs.

Quote:
The only additional option I'd like to see is the ability to choose which POIs and favourites I want to display on the map, rather than simply having to accept Garmin's default.

You can on my TomTom.

DennisN wrote:
... all of it except the compass

That's about the only thing I would like added to my device!
Samsung Galaxy S21
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
sussamb wrote:

You can on my TomTom.

That's about the only thing I'd want from a TomTom Wink
mcurtiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Average Speed Readouts Reply with quote

The things I'd like to add to my SatNav (Garmin) relates to average speed camera zones - readouts such as current average speed in the zones, and how many cameras are in the zone. My terrific little Pogo Alert+ device used to give this but 'it' died along with the company making them -sadly.

And as others have noted, the ability to select which POIs to display would be good.
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Directional info - the ability to tell which way the camera is pointing - missing from my bike's Garmin Zumo 660.
connexion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Interesting feature to add Reply with quote

The obvious feature in my mind to add to the software would be the ability to access a specific group within the contact data base on your phone so that should you pass within a preset distance to one of your group contacts it would automatically POI this.
Two benefits here:
Personal - family and friends
Business - ideal for sales people

Just a thought.

Mike.
petrolhead276
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: What would I like from a Sat Nav Device or App? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I think I'd like about 99% of This list - that is all of it except the compass. Plus faster working of the Live services so that they don't slow it down.

the list in the Link Dennis has posted is a very good start.

For me I started with TomTom on a PDA device for which I could drag and drop POI's and routes into, whilst the USB2 connection was admittedly slow, it did the job in the way I like to work.

I bought my wife a GO 820 a few years ago and have to say I dislike having to use the TomTom software to upload items to the device, I cannot see the file structure, I am not sure if I have used it correctly (early learning issues) but feel that control has been removed from me.

In my 2009 Focus I have the built in Navigation for which I cannot add POI's of my choice, not speed camera warnings. have to upgrade the DVD at a cost, currently around £78, I have updated 3 times since 2009, and one of the main reasons for not doing this is that the NX DVD in Focus & other ford models for the years 2013-15 did not include the TMC broadcasts, which rather defeats the point of having in car nav device fitted IMHO.

I trialled the WAZE app on my iPhone6+ a while back and over time (approx. the last year) I have come to realise that it is a better app then any of the TomTOM or built in Manufacturer devices. Whilst I cannot add POI's it does already have a great selection of these which covers my needs, it has Speed cameras build in with a very useful touch to add feature for hazards; traffic hold ups and speed cams etc.

My one gripe would be to be able to input multiple waypoints, so if on a long journey I could get an idea of time to next waypoint & time to destination on the front screen or even via a toggle button, this applies equally to my TomTOM & built in devices as well.

It is also possible with WAZE to provide mapping & turn corrections (albeit via a standard webpage - not one for when driving).

I use this app locally and when travelling to numerous London hospitals for my Disabled sons appointments and I have to say it has taken me down some fantastic routes to avoid the traffic, something that neither the TomTOm Go or built in devices have ever done, these tend to always prefer to keep one on the main roads and not avoid traffic.

My vote therefore goes for any Nav device to emulate the features I can already find on a Free App for my portable phone, this is the minimum spec I will now be looking for.

Roll on the days when build in Nav devices are no longer provided, but an interface between my phone & the in car display so that I can use my APP of Choice.
Onedrew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with petrolhead276: Waze is very good indeed and my Garmin is now only brought out for planned drives using .gpx routes. Waze would be even better if the speed readout was sharper: simple sans serif black numerals on white would be a big improvement but clarity is sacrificed for style at the moment. Waze is a fantastic timesaver in route planning and journey time. CamerAlerts can still be heard and are notified on-screen. When driving to meet someone, the ability to send an updating ETA on the move without touching a thing is amazing to me. And voice-only search for destinations is pretty good too: some passengers react as if magic is being performed.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What would I like from a Sat Nav Device or App? Reply with quote

petrolhead276 wrote:
This is a list of the things that TT used to do, but in their wisdom TT have since removed
Quote:
I cannot see the file structure, I am not sure if I have used it correctly (early learning issues) but feel that control has been removed from me.
Exactly why TT removed the facility. To protect users from their own early learning cock ups.
joneskdale
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer a dedicated PND for usability but the Waze app is great if using the phone. Would love to see a more intelligent TomTom. I like to see the current speed together with the current Speed limit. I really like the ability of the TomTom to chime at you if you are exceeding the speed limit, although the newer TomTom 6100 is not as good as the older TomTom Blue and Me Live 2 in my Panda Cross. The Blue and Me doesn't chime if you temporarily go over and gives you time to slow down as you enter. The 6100 will even chime at you if you are doing 31 a few yards after you leave a 30 limit.
petrolhead276
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What would I like from a Sat Nav Device or App? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
petrolhead276 wrote:
This is a list of the things that TT used to do, but in their wisdom TT have since removed
Quote:
I cannot see the file structure, I am not sure if I have used it correctly (early learning issues) but feel that control has been removed from me.
Exactly why TT removed the facility. To protect users from their own early learning cock ups.

just for clarity, I was referring to not using the tom tom software correctly.

not a file system drag & drop approach.

the drag & drop approach is my preferred choice (I work in IT). I would NOT buy another tom tom device if the only way is to use their restrictive software as the means of adds on or route additions into the nav device.

in fact I thought long and hard at sending the unit I bought back and buying a different one that still used drag and drop ,but the wife liked the 820 so I left it as it was for her.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom app for Android does almost what folk mention here (once you get your head round its quirks).

One thing missing I'd really like, though, is the ability to search its POI database for - say - nearest supermarket (like you can for fuel or parking). At present it can only bring up every shop imaginable. I gather this option is available on stand-alone devices.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
thebungalow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad hi - I bought a TOMTOM START 50 a while ago to replace my very old but reliable classic 300 (as it came with free lifetime maps updates and it was only £20.00 more then just getting 1 years maps updates for the 300 ????) - only to find that the pocketgps camera database could not be installed on it due to the changes made to the way files work on it by tomtom - I had used the PGPS data on my 300 for many years - there must be a reason why they made these changes but I would be very happy if they modified the firmware to allow people to use the PGPS camera data on their modern sat navs as it it the most comprehensive I have found - although I have installed the Camera Alert app on my Samsung S5 - so I can still make use of the database in some way - keep up the good work Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: