Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Awareness Courses - What they aren't telling you
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Awareness Courses - What they aren't telling you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wongataa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the Admiral group of insurance companies ask about speed awareness courses. Insurance brands in the Admiral group include Bell, Elephant, Diamond, and Admiral.

Of course if you were to not tell them about a course you went on they would have no way of finding out that were withholding information.
cjcjcj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: speeding Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
raymondo247 wrote:
HI,

so at 36 mph you are bang on the allowance limit, 37 mph you are speeding.

Not so. 36 mph in 30 mph village is what caught me. And a friend who also went on a course too.

Sorry just got caucht 35 in a 30 so bang goes your theory
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no theory. The 10%+2MPH was an ACPO RECOMMENDATION and, unlike EU recommendations that the Government zealously apply without thought to the outcome, Chief Constables do not have to implement them if they chose not to. Your Chief Constable obviously chose not to.
Anyway, the message that you quoted was quoting the wrong 'recommended' figures anyway, as 36 is above the recommendation of 10%+2MPH in a 30 zone.

Last edited by M8TJT on Mon May 09, 2016 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not be able to check your SAC attendance now, but in the future they may gain access and that could lead to cancellation of your insurance and a record of such on a database.

That could make getting insurance difficult and probably very expensive.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Big Brother is watching you. And I'm not referring to the TV programme.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen Said:
Quote:
They may not be able to check your SAC attendance now, but in the future they may gain access and that could lead to cancellation of your insurance and a record of such on a database.

That could make getting insurance difficult and probably very expensive.

I think you underestimate the insurance industry, They will not cancel but just refuse to pay out when you make a claim for not declaring something, thus more profit and therefore should be less expensive I think not.
ynysygwas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Speed Awareness Course Reply with quote

My wife attended her course today. To be fair she has managed 26 years before being caught on camera! Not as good as the lady she was sat next to, who was caught doing 33 on the way out of Swansea. It was her first ever offence and she had passed her test almost 60 years ago to the day!

My wife learned There is no 10% + mph formula. 30 means 30 and there was actually one chap from west Wales there who had been 'done' for 31 in a 30.
If the zone is for a 20mph sign with a red surround then nobody should be in 4th gear or higher. If the sign has a black or non red colour surround then the limit is advisory. Does anybody manage to do 20 in a 20? I'm usually 25ish with a car on my back bumper! Scope there for mega camera catchings.

The old lady was pleased to learn that she can still say she has an unblemished 60 years of driving as the offence has been wiped from the police record. They must still have a record of course attendance though as you can't do another course for 3 years.

The course organiser said that there was one insurance group (based in Cardiff with a naval connection) that asked about course attendance. He said one is not allowed to lie to insurance companies. His advice also was that if asked then to simply answer that there are many other insurance companies available that don't ask about speed course attendances and that if this company needs an answer then you will take your custom elsewhere.

The course organiser was also surprised that I had got away with going past the mobile van at 33/34 mph! He said that normally anything over 30 was liable to be pinged these days. So it seems my 20+ years of being 'point free' is more down to luck than good driving!
Never too old to learn!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Awareness Course Reply with quote

ynysygwas wrote:
My wife attended her course today. To be fair she has managed 26 years before being caught on camera! Not as good as the lady she was sat next to, who was caught doing 33 on the way out of Swansea. It was her first ever offence and she had passed her test almost 60 years ago to the day!

Nice post, informative for me.
Many thanks for getting back like you said.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Awareness Course Reply with quote

ynysygwas wrote:
Does anybody manage to do 20 in a 20?

Yes, I do. I simply change down to third gear and deliberately hold off. The guy behind me doing 25 or more has to slow down or overtake, please himself. But I've got a dashcam and one of these days I'm going to drop the footage into the nearest nick!

My thoughts on 20mph is that the government didn't do the right thing - they should have changed the national 30mph limit and rules to 20mph. Instead of which, they decided to let local government take the decisions (and the costs) and give us a confusing mish-mash of limits. Stupid fools!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: