Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has the latest version lost the zoom icon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the latest version lost the zoom icon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Has the latest version lost the zoom icon Reply with quote

I am sure that I used to have an icon on my task bar that made the navigation image larger on my Samsung 7.7

And has the visual treatment of roundabouts been changed? It seems not to display them now.

All ideas welcome.

I am travelling for two days so maybe slow to reply to any comments.

Tony
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again. Two days on. 43 people interested in my question and not a comment.!!! Big Grin!!

Maybe some of the roundabouts are still being shown but the image on my 7.7 table is much more compressed. I cannot see the information in the top bar as the font is so small. In the old version it was larger. Likewise the info in the pop up boxes at the bottom about the next turning(s) is smaller.

Is the peculiar to a 7.7 inch tablet?

Is there something relevant to the installation?

I am using version 5.4.7.

Am I the only Navigon user around here who had the fill screen icon in the right hand task bar icons.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:

I am using version 5.4.7.

Am I the only Navigon user around here who had the fill screen icon in the right hand task bar icons.

I am still on version 5.4.5 - UK with full Europe maps (due to lifetime - 2 years'+ maps) on a 5" Sony Xperia Z.
Don't think I have ever had a zoom on main menu but can expand maps using + and - symbols.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

I can make the map larger as well.

My problem is that the font size of the top bar that gives my estimated arrival time is too small to read.

Also the boxes with the next turn arrows at the bottom left are so small that the font in them is unreadable so I don't know how far away the turning is.

My guess is that the software auto detected the screen dpi and serviced it appropriately. The snag with the Samsung 7.7 is one of those AMOLED tablets that were banned in the EU and it has an unusually high resolution. So Navigon thinks it is bigger than it really is. The little 'fill screen' icon allowed me to overide the Navigon and it emulated a lower resolution screen and gave me larger fonts. The same effect that you'd get by putting in a lower screen dimension on a Windows desktop.

I guess I am on a loser now. Reading about the new Navigon GUI I think they are much more interested in the new concepts and my need was probably one in a thousand.

Currently I am road testing Sygic who have much larger fonts.

Good to hear from you, Tim. It is rather quiet around here these days !!

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:

I guess I am on a loser now. Reading about the new Navigon GUI I think they are much more interested in the new concepts and my need was probably one in a thousand.

My mobile still seems to be OK in spite of being full HD - but I appear to have lost all my POI categories with "search for POI" in the last release!

Now that N have our money they're after new customers and seem to forget what made us customers in the first place - all software developers (of which I was one!) and marketing people want to put their own stamp on new releases!

With the German car makers buying Navteq/Here maps from Nokia the cost of updates is sure to go up and I will probably switch to an Open Street Map product or just use Google as I don't tend to go far these days!
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Tim. You mention lots of things.

You lost your POIs. In my annoyance about the font size of Navigon I uninstalled it and re-installed from PlayStore. I lost all my 'recent' places. All the locations I had plotted to over the last few years! OK, I can start again but it was a bit frustrating lose all the places I have been to in the past.

You mention software developers. In my testing of Sygic I found I could not get it to work through my Bluetooth on the car radio. I emailed them on Thursday afternoon and got an answer from a programmer yesterday - with the solution. So Sygic are around to respond - and my email to Navigon is still unanswered. The answer to get Bluetooth to work is to untick the 'speaker' icon. I am not sure that is all that logical - but it did the trick !!

You mention price. The editorial of GPSWorld yesterday spoke of the price of maps being likely to go up. I remember that my first Garmin was about the size of a brick and cost the thick end of a grand about fifteen years ago. Halfords re-energised their failing stores by getting into stand alone satnavs and now say the bottom has gone from their market as people put software on their phones. Mapping must be expensive so I think the reality is that the price of the good ones will need to go up. Like you I hate wasting money but, if you travel a lot, maps are jolly good value at the moment - IMHO anyway! As long as they are up to date...

You mention open source. I tried a couple. I abandoned them as they were not postcode effective. The main use of our satnav is to find country pubs on our days and weekend away. The towns we go to stay in are easy to find. It is the lunchtime pit stops, that we find such fun, that are the hard to find and so much easier with a postcode.

I'm posting on the Sygic forum so I'll let you know how I find it. So far I am happy and the screen on my 7.7 is so much clearer. Now I can feed the music from the 7.7 and Sygic to my Bluetooth radio I am well on the way to having a system that works - for me anyway.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

If you have the courage to 'root' an Android device you can install Xposed and this allows you to alter the dpi and screen resolution of the Navigon app.

I did it and have the simpler screen and larger turn icons I wanted.

I have just used it to do a two week car tour on the West Coast of the USA and the device worked a treat.

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
Update.
If you have the courage to 'root' an Android device you can install Xposed and this allows you to alter the dpi and screen resolution of the Navigon app.Tony

Glad you now have your N resolution back to your liking.

I still have my original 3" smart mobile and the next 4.3" one and have rooted both so I can get rid of the Sony and Google 'extras' as they have less than 500 Mb of memory. Fortunately my tablet still has space available.

I got Navigon Australia for a trip there but ended up using Google Maps when N froze one time!

Haven't been to USA recently but N have a 30 day trial for Sony Xperia users and I would probably use that there.

Tim
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Tim.

Whilst I was in the US I had a Truphone sim in my S4 cellphone. I looked into how much 'data' it might need to use if my Navigon failed on the tablet and I resorted to Google Maps on the phone.

It seemed surprisingly little. I think I worked out that the five hour drive from San Diego to Las Vegas would take the equivalent of £1.80 worth of data using the Truphone sim. Using the o2 sim I use at home the cost would have been about one hundred times more - but Truphone charges 6p per meg and not £6 which is what o2 would do roaming.

In fact I never needed to use it in the car as the N held up - but it did help with walking around some of the towns we stopped at.

We stayed with some new friends in LA who use Waze for their navigation. Have you heard of it? They like it as it is much more interactive with regard to traffic jams - but again you need data to make it work.

Have a good weekend.

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:

Whilst I was in the US I had a Truphone sim in my S4 cellphone. I looked into how much 'data' it might need to use if my Navigon failed on the tablet and I resorted to Google Maps on the phone.

In Australia I used an Amaysim but Hutchison 'Three' UK were covering Sri-Lanka (and Australia, France, Germany, etc) for UK rates (1p/2p/3p) providing you paid £20 upfront on PAYG - so I used that last September.

Had a look at Waze but it seems targeted to urban traffic and Social Media so not too good for me around S Wales!
So I'll stick with N on Android until it disappears or they want more money!
Tim
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about 'Three'. I suppose that o2 will need to follow suit to remain competitive. Am I right in thinking that soon roaming charges in Europe will be ruled out anyway?

I put Waze on my phone this morning out of curiosity. Yes it is traffic orientated and they don't even have a 'walk on foot' mode. I hope it is not obsessed with social media as I, for one, have managed to avoid it entirely so far.

I got one of these holders a short while ago so I could use my cellphone in the car in an emergency.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RDQVPTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you know the Navigon is on a larger tablet - but now I can have a look at Waze on the phone if I need traffic info. I wonder if Waze records slow moving harvesters and tractors for you Welsh country folk?

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: