Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Android 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Android 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onemanband
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
What I don’t understand is that some people upgrade from a phone that works to one that doesn’t.
Why not not just keep the old, CamaerAlert working phone, in the car as a dedicated Camera Warning device?
Surely it's not too difficult to manage two phones with different uses?

That's not a very useful post!!

Perhaps what you don't "understand" is that some people may need to trade or sell their phone to fund an upgrade to another, or as in my case, their old phone simply dies.
Might I suggest that if you've no useful advice to contribute then keep your opinions to yourself!!

Last edited by onemanband on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I shall.

eta
1771 v 39. Shocked
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for double posting.

OOOh! on reflection ,I'm angry now.
Sorry, but I must have missed your post where you mentioned that your previous phone broke and you were forced, against your will, to upgrade to one of the most expensive phones on the market.

My previous comment stands because I believe it was an honest answer with the information you had supplied.. If you have an old phone that works with CamerAlert, use it as a dedicated CamerAlert device. Stat.

However, If you have subscribed to an all singing, all dancing device that doesn’t fulfil your needs due to manufacturer and Android lock-downs, either take it up with the manufacturer or buy a very cheap, old phone off of eBay (for example) which would.
ETA. I know I have, and I dont have the problems you seem to have.

Generally - Why, these days is a problem somebody else’s? Can't anybody stand by their own bad decisions and accept that they made a mistake?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
onemanband
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to take the bait and get into a slanging match with someone who obviously has issues and a bad attitude.
Enough to say there are a few people who are simply trying to get an application working correctly, NOT looking for your unsolicited pathetic criticism of their life choices!!

Over & Out!!
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said onemanband.
Now, to get this discussion back on track, perhaps MaFt could respond to onemanband's earlier question whether he was now washing his hands of the matter.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android, based on Linux should be a free, open source operating system.
However, big companies are jumping on the back of the Android/Linux community’s hard word work, "borrowing" the OS and tweaking it slightly to fit their corporate purpose. In doing so, they are corrupting the true value of "free" and of what open source stands for. Consequently, Android isn’t Android any more and is no longer portable. Just check the PlayStore, read the reviews of the multitude of apps which work for This device but not for That.

You are asking MaFt if he is washing his hands of supporting "your" device. Of course he isn't, neither are any of the team, they value your custom and support.

But, ask yourself this, Is it realistic that any deleloper of any app should have to immediately jump through a never ending sequence of hoops to get their app to work on every flavour of Android just because the big corporates chose to lock their version of Android down a little bit more with each version release.?

Am I angry? Do I have issues? yeah! hell I do. but not so much with you, more the big corps who elect to make simple tasks difficult for their own satisfaction.

Life could be so easy if Companies would allow it to be. Until a new version of CamerAlert is made available may I suggest that you contact your phone manufacturer and ask why apps which worked on a previous version of Android no longer work with their current version. But don't hold your breath while waiting for a satisfactory reply.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
jc_150
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ali
If only it were that easy I am sure folks would do that. Let me explain from my situation. Samsung S4 uses one type of Sim in it. Think its called a micro sim. The Sony uses a different Sim, think its called a nano sim. much smaller. When one changes phone the old sim gets de activated. So in my case I cannot use Camera alert on my old phone with a de activated sim to receive GPS signals and use data, as the two sims are not compatible to interchange between my phones. I have even thought of getting a pay as you go sim for the old phone and use that, but with pay as you go, you load it up with credit and lose it if you do not use all the data up within a period of time, unless someone knows a carrier where you can buy data on a pay as you go and keep the credit till it runs out then buy some more, the ones I have seen including my carrier Vodafone do not do this.
Kind Regards
JohnC
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a Virgin PAYG SIM in her phone. (Not a smartphone though) The credit does not run out on that. However, she has had the sim a long time so they may not offer that now. There is no monthly compulsory topup either. She just tops up when credit gets low. That's the way PAYG should work.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a need for data then I would look at the various Sim deals around.

My second family phone is on a £7.50 a month. That gives it 750mb data, thousands of texts and 100 minutes of calls to applicable numbers.

The most valuable bit is the data.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mine at £7.50 supplies iGB data, unlimited texts and 500 mins.
But the OP doesn't want to pay monthly, just a PAYG. Even £7.50 a month is a lot for occasional use.

Last edited by M8TJT on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jc_150
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT
Thanks for the heads up on Virgin. I chatted with them and alas, those unlimited usage deals still exist for "airtime" but not for data. For data you can pay for a months use, and lose what is not used up at the end of the month.
They did say that there is a data sim only deal for tablets. Do not have one but have been thinking of getting one. So maybe there is an avenue to look at there.
Thanks for the help
JohnC
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a data package to use CamerAlert. If the phone has WiFi then the database is downloaded that way.

I've used an Orange (EE) PAYG phone for a number of years, using WiFi and no 'data'.

My current phone package has a data element, which I use if I want a map displayed. CA is still downloaded via WiFi.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct. The only downside is no data, no map. But if you only use it 'in the background' it matters not. Good point Oldboy.
jc_150
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Apologies for being such a dimwit. Can you confirm, although I guess I could test it myself in a few days when I take the car out next near a camera, that I can use CamerAlert on my old phone with a de activated sim, so no phone service, and no data, and although there will be no map I will still get camera alerts through the speakers of my old phone? I know I can update CamerAlert via Wi-Fi from home, but will the app still give me speed camera warnings without an active sim? If so my issues are over.
Thanks in advance
JohnC
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided CA seems to work OK without wifi as well as no sim, CA will probably work. Try it and see and please report back with your findings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: