Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN EU 2016.30 NTU
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN EU 2016.30 NTU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I don't use BC because I don't use my Garmin for navigation.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My newer device updated its maps to NTU 2016.30 but my older remains at NT 2016.20.

I know that they were not issuing updates to the NT devices as often when we were getting 4/year but have got it for last 2 or 3 times. Is a "delayed" update on the may or may I stop checking on GE for a few months?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NT map has had its two updates in this cycle, so I don't believe there will be another one until the next release of the NTU map.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, the file size increases from 2016.20 to 2016.30 increased by more than usual (Full European version)

Gmapprom (main data) 2016.20 (3,903,680) to 2016.30 (4,070,848)
Junction View 2016.20 (390,552) to 2016.30 (395,996)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of my units have a card inserted and it installed on both without issue.

2597 & 2599
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my 2598 I had problems with 2016.20 and am having the same type of problem with 2016.30.
Without the SD card in the device I am told thatthere is not enough space and I must load a subset. I then updated the map to PC only which went without a hitch.
However, BaseCamp (Mapinstall) seems to only have the option to install maps not to update - so I have 357Mb to install a 3Gb + map!
It seems that I have to start in Mass Storage mode, delete the 2106.20 map manually before I can install the new map subset - and, oh, from a rough calculationI think that the new map WILL fit, as it has for you folks with your other 25xx devices.
This is progress?? Doh! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem using BaseCamp is that it only installs the map ... and not all the other files so it's not really recommended for satnavs, it's more appropriate for handhelds which is what it was originally designed for.

With a normal installation Express should work, but if in the past (and it sounds like you have) you've messed about with the maps Express will baulk as it can't establish (not unnaturally) what you've done.

Express would normally work either in mass storage or MTP mode so that isn't the issue. If it were me I'd remove all the previous maps from your 2598 so that Express has a clean field to start with, then run Express and let it do its stuff. Once it has done you will find in future that updates go more smoothly.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when you do get to the stage that the map does not fit, as I did with my 760, the only way to get what area you want as opposed to the subsets that Garmin in their infinite wisdom define is to use Mapinstall which I thought was the successor to MapSource and which always worked fine on my 760. That is apart from using the card - but then it will leave the old map on the devic - or am I wrong on that?
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - old map removed in MSM, then try Garmin Express.
"Sorry mapwon't fit you will either have to use a card or use one of my subsets of the full Europe map!"

So I backed out and ran MapInstall (not through BaseCamp.

Congratulations - map fits and an hour later it is fully installed.

So Express says No but MapInstall says YES.

OK - I have had to do this before but Express should be looking at what is on th edevice - not how it got there. And I am pretty sure that i don't have any left over files - The file list looks the same as my original backup apart from dates and file sizes.
And, YES, I have removed all my unused voices and vehicles to make space.

It does ssem unstisfactory that Garmin have two bits of software that give contra-indications.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're comparing apples and pears. MapInstall ONLY installs the map. Express installs the map, the junction view file etc.

Again, if I were you I'd install the sd card rather than allow Express to install a subset of the map, but either way use Express and not MapInstall unless you don't want/need junction view etc Confused
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You're comparing apples and pears. MapInstall ONLY installs the map. Express installs the map, the junction view file etc.

Again, if I were you I'd install the sd card rather than allow Express to install a subset of the map, but either way use Express and not MapInstall unless you don't want/need junction view etc Confused

I had a long conversation with Garmin Support today exploring this in great detail.

Yes, although TOTALLY UNDOCUMENTED, MapInstall or BaseCamp will ONLY install the maps and not junction view so there is no way to select a subset of maps to satisfy your own needs.

What is even more disconcerting is:
a) If using Garmin Express and accepting the invitation to select a specific Garmin defined region that will fit on the device you will still not get junction view - in other words a partial install using Garmin Express removes some functionality of the device in the same way as MapInstall.

b) If a user attempts to do a partial install, say GB & I and then "adds" DACH, say, this will have the effect of removing GB & I - and of course, as in a) above, no Junction View.

I did suggest that this was not very helpful and the support engineer agreed. They have many times asked for a software update to correct both a) and b). I also suggested that it woudl be helpful for the loss of functionality on partial installs to be mentioned in the installation instructions that are integral to both GE and MapInstall.

Now doing a fresh install onto card - BUT how have other folks managed a full update on their devices? Hmmm? I have already pruned unnecessary voice files etc!

Oh, and obvious in retrospect, because I am now implementing junction view the maps are being downloaded again from scratch (5 hrs on my 3Mb line!) despite the fact that my previous attempt put the maps on PC alone before I used MapInstall.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I installed the update to the PC, and all the files are still there now, including the jcv file for my device.

In my case, the files are in C..ProgramData...Garmin...CoreService, and a search for jcv revealed the file.

May save a wait and another download??

Dales.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@inspiredron

Well whoever you spoke to is slightly confused.

First, yes, if you do nothing and first download one subset and then simply download another the first is overwritten. However should you want to do that simply rename the first map set to something different and it won't get overwritten.

Second, it's not correct that by choosing a subset you don't get junction view, you do. What can go wrong though is voice commands if you have them, see this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000%7D

However, for the cost of a 8Gb micro sd card you shouldn't have an issue, and once Express has installed the map for you then you'll find it will update without issue. The problem only comes when folks 'mess about' with their nuvis without knowing what they are doing.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your compliment - both personal and to Garmin Support - or have I misinterpreted you again?

I have looked at your link which refers to Voice Recognition and says clearly that it won't work with subsets. That seems to indicate that the Garmin support guy did know what he was talking about. I DID refer specifically to junction view and he DID say that it does NOT work on subsets. sadly the FAQ response is slow at present as my download i sstill going so I cannot check specifically for an FAQ on Junction View.

On the question of "messsing about with nuvis without knowing what they are doing" I must remind you that updating maps used to be done through Garmin Communicator and, as I recall, MapSource. When the change to Express was made it simplified matters for the casual user (a good thing) but, to my knowledge, there has never been any documentation regarding the effect of installing subsets or using MapInstall other than in response to specific support requests documented as FAQ's such as that which you cite on Voice Recognition.

The chap at Garmin Support did offer the information that he has had other advanced users mourning the same lack of functionality and lack of documentation and I don't think he had any reason to try to appease me. He said that he has put it to development on several prior occasions, as have some of his colleagues - and he DID refer to other colleagues for advice during our extended conversation. I formed the impression that he did kno wwhat he was talking about but it now seems thatthere may be some room for doubt on my judgement.

I did leave support however with the clear view that I would need to use the SD card - which I am doing - so I am not that thick! When I have more time I may try out your suggestions but not at the moment!

I will go back to Support, by email this time, and tell them that I have been given different information from you and refer them to thiis thread. That may help them with their own training.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a general comment, not aimed specifically at you, sorry if you read it wrong.

Actually prior to Express it was MapUpdater, not MapSource. As a mod on Garmins own forums it's unfortunately not unusual for Garmin Support to get it wrong, as they have when talking to you about junction view.

Voice recognition has nothing to do with junction view, I simply mentioned it to show that it does have issues with map subsets and that perhaps the support guy was confusing the two. I used to just install Western Europe instead of full Europe and junction view worked as expected.

Anyway installing the full map onto a card is certainly the way to go and should leave you with no issues in future Very Happy

Should you still have issues you could try posting here where the Garmin Express experts can help

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?462-Garmin-Express-PC

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: