Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkwing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am using TTN3 for about 4 months now and don't have much problems with it. The only problems I encounter are that it sometimes tries to kill me when driving on a motorway and all of a sudden it says turn left now!! Rolling Eyes

I am Dutch and came to England 6 months ago and don't know anything about the road layouts or postcodes so I rely on TTN3 completely. What irritates me most is that when I give in the name of a city, and then the street, it gives me a very long list with the same names. All those names have a postcode behind it, at least the five 5 numbers, but I don't have a postcode so I still need to use an A-Z to find the right street. So I have to click some streets and see what roads they cross with and then look in the A-Z if those roads cross with that street to see if it's the right one.
So until there comes some update I suggest everyone to take a back up with them when they travel........the good old road maps. :P
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you haven't updated to Navigator 3.03 or later. Navigator 3.00 and 3.01 don't handle address lookups with the Great Britain maps at all well - when you enter a city name, then a street, you're actually searching on all the streets in the county and the results are in a random order. There's hundreds of High Streets in Norfolk, and the one you want may be the twentieth result given.

Following an 'open letter' that I wrote to TomTom (which received considerable support from forum members), TomTom reworked the address lookup in version 3.03. It now sorts the streets by distance from the city entered - so the right option is usually the first street of that name in the results, and if not, is going to be amongst the top three of four. It's a vast improvement!

The latest version of Navigator is 3.07 (3.07T if you have a Traffic subscription), which can be got free of charge from support.tomtom.com

Meanwhile, if you're talking about London (which you might be with your reference to A-Z), it's usual in London to mention the postal area, which is the first part of the postcode, as some street names are duplicated in London. For example, I may say Hinde Street W1, Exhibition Road SW7 or Birkenhead Street WC1. These will actually appear in the TomTom database with longer partial postcodes, but you just compare the first part.

I don't always find TomTom's London partial postcodes match my recollections - I lived in Central London in the early nineties. Sometimes the postcodes have changed, though I've found one or two where the Royal Mail and TomTom / TeleAtlas disagree.

David
Darkwing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked what version I have and it says 3.03. When I look at the tomtom site it says this version makes it easy.........hmzzz try to go to King street in Manchester. And I tried to install update 3.07, but it comes up with a message saying AVG is allready installed and then shuts down......ermmmm what is AVG? I have a virusscanner called AVG but what has that got to do with tomtom??? Weird.....
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a TomTom problem - there really are several roads called King Street in Manchester. Because you're using Navigator 3.03, the results are sorted in distance from the centre of the selected city - in this case Manchester City Centre - so the first result, King Street M2 4 is the one in the city centre.

Some of the others are in suburbs - for example King Street M43 6 is in Droylsden. If you choose Droylsden and King Street, notice that King Street M43 6 is now the first King Street.

If you know which postal area you want, you know which is the right King Street. If you just have "King Street, Manchester", you either have to assume the one nearest the city centre, or research the address a bit more carefully.

As for the AVG problem, I can only assume it is related to your antivirus software.

David
Addic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to TTN3 a few months ago but got fed up at being routed off the motor way at round abouts only to be routed back on at the other side.

This happend on a number or trips to Maidstone and Guildford.

I contacted TT support, who thanked me for reporting an error with their maps (great help that was).

I have now reinstalled and registered TTN2.

While TTN2 is a great app I really miss the itenary options. I have also noticed the amount of new roads that haven't been updated. (missed the M6 toll on the journey up, my fault thought I guess).

I'm just wondering if there has been any upgrade to the maps of TTN3 (is safe for me to go back yet! Smile)

I understand the TTN3 has been upgraded to 3.07 (or similiar) but am I correct in thinking that this will NOT resolve the map errors?
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, there are no changes in the mapping in the updates to TTN3 but I wonder if your problems are really caused by the maps. I live fairly near to Guildford and regularly use the M3, M25 and M20 including trips to Maidstone and beyond and have never experienced the problem you described.
I would suggest you might want to try reinstalling TTN3 and the maps, and upgrade online to the latest version - it works for me on an iPAQ 3850 using an Emtac sleeve.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find changing the routing preference to "Strict" in the properties page will help.

There have been no map updates for TomTom Navigator 3, and I don't expect any now. I think it's more likely there'll be a version of Navigator 2004 with new maps available in Europe within the next six months.

David
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Addic,

Quote:
got fed up at being routed off the motor way at round abouts only to be routed back on at the other side.....

AND
Quote:
........I really miss the itenary options.

Just a thought - If you were using the itinerary function in TT3, were you careful to ensure that you placed your passage points on the correct side of the motorway? If you happened to have it on the wrong carriageway, TT would route you off the at a junction, back on to the other side and then off and on again at the next opportunity, just so that you could pass through your mistakenly placed itinerary point.

It's a mistake that most users (me included) have made at least once I think!

Steve
Nissan Connect
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Avoid toll roads, etc...? Reply with quote

Apologies if already mentioned, but, like the RAC's and AA'sonline routing facility, it woiuld be good if TTN3 could have had an 'avoid' option. On a recent journey from Liverpool to Kent, 'cos TTN3 doesn't have the M6 toll road, I (it) was totally confused and I ended up on the toll road, not wanting it. I s'pose this is a mapping issue in this case, but it occurred to me that if I wanted to avoid payment, that might be difficult. Again this was an issue with a toll bridge near Kent that I'd have preferred to avoid. If other software can manage this, TT needs to catch up - and get that wretched M6 toll sorted!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's near certain that there won't now be any further upgrades to Navigator 3; a new version of Navigator in Europe with new maps is likely to be released within the next few months.

The main problem with M6 Toll and the current maps is that they don't steer you away from the entrance to the Toll road.

David
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW: Re M6, that's right: it feels as if you're being steered onto the M6 toll. With TTN3 not that old, I s'pose TT will won't *more* dosh from us to upgrade to decent, reasonsbly current, maps...
pnb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one feel very agrieved there is no map update plan.

It is understood there is always going to be some shortcomings between what is issued and reality but, I would pay for a map update, just like I pay for a replacement paper map.

I would have thought there was money to be made by TT or a third party, or even TeleAtlas who provide the maps for TT in selling updates!

Perhaps they are too keen at using their resources for new versions !

Cheers

Peter
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date, TomTom have bundled a map update and a program update together. The last update on the Pocket PC for European users was around March/April 2004 - a Navigator 2 to Navigator 3 upgrade cost around £40 by the time it hit your credit card (TomTom bill in Euros). In the US, Navigator 2 USA to Navigator 2004 USA cost US$53 inclusive. TomTom's upgrade prices are about the lowest in the industry.

It's fairly standard for map and program updates to be bundled together; certainly that's the way Navman have operated.

Why, then, are you aggrieved at no update plans? As is common for the industry, plans are not firmed up until the software is about ready to release.

There's preliminary noises coming out of TomTom about a new version of TomTom Mobile for European users. That was announced at 3GSM last week. I expect further announcements covering other platforms TomTom serve will follow.

The map companies only release new map data to their customers every quarter. I've heard some information that hints at TeleAtlas only releasing new data to their customers every six months.

We can only speculate as to TomTom's future plans at this stage - but I don't think you'll finish up too disappointed.

David
pnb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll take your comments as positive, and reserve final judgement until something is annouced.

I do not use my Navigator (Ipaq 3950, TT3.0?) that often but I have been dissapointed at the map accuracy in the Midlands and in South Devon.

It also has the strange habit of believing I have left the Motorway at a junction and wants to route me back on again, when I haven't at all!.
A problem I think I have seen others report.

Having said that there is a lot that is very good with the product, it just needs to be able to be kept up to date......

Question (sorry it is not directly connected to this thread) Where can you see what version of TT 3 you have?

Cheers
Peter
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File -> About will give the version.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: