Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 2599 how to use memory card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 2599 how to use memory card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard_C_C
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 2599 how to use memory card Reply with quote

This is probably a beginners/idiot question but here goes. I haven't had this long, and installed an SD card from new.

I've just easily and painlessly updated the maps and software using Garmin express, but at the end got the message "device memory almost full", only 185mb remaining and it suggests I get a memory card to allow the next update. But there is one already.

When I connect to the PC I can see (via windows explorer) the internal memory almost full and the 32Gb card empty.

I can't see way to tell Garmin Express to put maps on the memory card. Does it simply overflow onto the card when internal memory is full, or do I have to do something to sort it out? If so, what?

The user manual is hopeless in this (and many other) respects.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Express will use a card if there isn't enough space on the device. There is no need, nor is there a way, to tell Express to use it. Express also won't report one is installed.

Note too data doesn't overflow. A map will either be put on the device or on the card.
Richard_C_C
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for very prompt response, reassuring, I'll just leave it alone.

Its a pity the 'device almost full' message can't see the card is there already, because express must see the card when it next comes to install a map.

Over the years I've always had to tell computers where to put things so I'm not used to placing my trust in magic (and Garmin) but will now.
jhiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 2599LMT-D with lifetime maps and digital traffic. I have recently used Express to update my maps and I am (almost) sure that it detected the SD card and offered to download the maps to it.

If I navigate to 'settings/maps/map info - installed maps' I can see two installed map files both with ticks next to them. I can't remember the titles, but what am I looking at here - one's the map file , what's the other one.

Also, how often are safety cameras updated, how will I be notified and how can I tell whether I have the current one. Is this done through Express or is it an 'over the air' service.

Lastly, I have the volume up at 80% ish, higher if I'm on the motorway. If I set volume to 'automatic' it's supposed to compensate for a noisy environment but it doesn't seem to do very much at all. I could do with a louder voice (with real directions). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the double map, one is the navigation and the other is FourSquare which presumably holds additional local 'establishment' locations ?

My 2599 is nowhere near capacity because I carefully removed unwanted files like foreign language helpfiles and keyboards, etc.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhiker wrote:
Also, how often are safety cameras updated, how will I be notified and how can I tell whether I have the current one. Is this done through Express or is it an 'over the air' service.

Neither as far as I know, but I haven't used Garmin's cameras for years so could be wrong. When I did you needed to download a new file from them.

You can though get real time updates via your smart phone, how you set that up I don't know.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhiker wrote:
I have the volume up at 80% ish, higher if I'm on the motorway. If I set volume to 'automatic' it's supposed to compensate for a noisy environment but it doesn't seem to do very much at all. I could do with a louder voice (with real directions).

Must say I keep my volume at 70% and seem to hear it without issue, possibly I'm in a quieter vehicle. You could try downloading additional third party voices or some of Garmin's own to see if some are louder than others, but they won't all give 'real directions'.

Altering the volume on the move isn't that difficult, have you tried doing it manually?
jhiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
jhiker wrote:
I have the volume up at 80% ish, higher if I'm on the motorway. If I set volume to 'automatic' it's supposed to compensate for a noisy environment but it doesn't seem to do very much at all. I could do with a louder voice (with real directions).

Must say I keep my volume at 70% and seem to hear it without issue, possibly I'm in a quieter vehicle. You could try downloading additional third party voices or some of Garmin's own to see if some are louder than others, but they won't all give 'real directions'.

Altering the volume on the move isn't that difficult, have you tried doing it manually?

Yes - it's not a major problem - I can do it manually or by voice control. I have tinnitus and if there were 'louder voices' I would have been interested to give them a try-out.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhiker wrote:
Thanks,
Jeff

If you are speaking of Garmin's own safety camera database, you get notifications via the MyGarmin site.

The warnings for different countries update on different time cycles but you could expect an update for all within about two weeks.

Also, it is not possible to do an update using Chrome, you must use IE or Firefox.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd when I read of people posting here still using the Cyclops product instead of the one here.

I ran with Cyclops years ago with my first Garmin and it was certainly lacking some cameras.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jhiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I find it odd when I read of people posting here still using the Cyclops product instead of the one here.

Because it seems like a fairly complicated installation procedure.
Because it's more expensive than the Garmin offering.

Is the Sticky ' Installing camera databse on Garmin devices' still relevant - I see the last post on that thread was four years ago (started in 2009)
Thanks.
BritBrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jhiker"]
Kremmen wrote:

Is the Sticky ' Installing camera databse on Garmin devices' still relevant - I see the last post on that thread was four years ago (started in 2009)
Thanks.

Yes it is, I did it recently.

This is the part you may go wrong on:

Quote:
This guide applies to all Garmin devices that use POILoader to install POI data. This includes all nüvi and zümo devices. If you are also installing sound files, please see this page for the differences between Garmin units that support .mp3 files and those that use .wav files. If your Garmin device is a .wav enabled version then you will also need the SOX.EXE file, a link is provided on that page along with instructions.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-garmin.php
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhiker wrote:
Because it's more expensive than the Garmin offering.

It isn't you know. With Garmin you pay every year, with the database from here you can pay once and then as long as you report one new camera a year you get free membership for a further year ... so overall it's far cheaper.

It's also more up to date so less chance of you being caught speeding ... £100 at least if that happens, not to mention increased insurance costs.
jhiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification on the PGPSW database.
I've not screwed up the courage to do this yet!

Tell me, do you have to go through the same lengthy installation procedure every time you install an update of the PGPSW database?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope

Once you have the basics in place then all you do is update the file.

Takes me about 2 minutes max
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: