Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A10 Average Speed Cameras Proposed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A10 Average Speed Cameras Proposed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: A10 Average Speed Cameras Proposed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android

Hertfordshire police are considering the installation of average speed cameras on the busy A10.

Broxbourne's police chief inspector, Dean Patient, has prepared a business case to secure funding for the project. He hopes to put an end to races on the road that sees cars travelling up to 180mph.

Mr Patient said: "Antisocial driving on the A10 continues to be a priority and a focus for my officers and we are exploring a range of different strategies, both short and long term, to deal with this issue."

"In the short term, Operation Katch continues with both covert and high-visibility patrols of the area, to catch speeding drivers and those involved in antisocial behaviour. In the longer term, I have put forward a business case for average speed cameras and other mobile enforcement equipment."

The exact stretch of road for the point-to-point cameras is yet to be decided.

Source

Last edited by RobBrady on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The exact stretch of road for the point-to-point cameras is not yet undecided.
So they have decided then?
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cynical way of extracting more cash from the motorist yet again.it will only succeed in moving the problem to somewhere else. If they were really trieing to prevent this from happening then increasing the police presence on the roads in general will curb it almost completely as well spotting other things that cameras just can't do. Also of course help to reduce the soaring crime rate.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Crime would go up if Mr. Plod spends all his time trapping motorists (Or so the 'austerity measures' constantly being bleated about have anything to do with it)
si952
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder if people actually now what average means - I often travel through zones with my cruise set for 50mph - on my satnav - and people still rush past me.

I thought average was you could be up a bit for some but you would need to be down a bit on some too. Point a - b faster than expected would result in a ticket?

I wonder if these faster people get tickets Very Happy

Think it is a good idea especially if the Saxo brigade are using it as a race track late at night. In these days of cutbacks technology should be employed to keep speed down. Very Happy

Most complainees tend to be people who normally speed.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally speed, but the point I was making was that cameras can do one thing, catch speeders, how about drunk drivers, and all other kinds of bad driving as well suspicious activity that an observant police officer would be able to pick up. Crime could actually be reduced as there would be more patrols and therefore a much higher chance of being spotted and caught etc.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
The exact stretch of road for the point-to-point cameras is not yet undecided.
So they have decided then?

Just making sure you were on the ball! Very Happy
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
Also of course help to reduce the soaring crime rate.

I'm all for more police on the road and happy to pay the resulting extra taxes, but to help further reduce the crime rate, not "reduce the soaring crime rate".

It is generally accepted - yes I know stats can be manipulated - that crime has halved in the last 20 years and is likely to follow a steady decline in the future.

I believe that aside from teenagers drinking less than the last generation (therefore less violence), a major reason for the decline is criminals being both caught and deterred from crime is the use of new technology - notably CCTV cameras, not such a distant cousin of speed cameras.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but following on from the previous post, as an ex-Croydonian I was appalled at the Police actions (or lack of) a few years ago while they stood back and watched parts of Croydon being razed to the ground.

I know that it was not just Croydon where wanton damage, looting and violence took place, many other locations suffered as well but Croydon strikes a particular accord with me.

In my opinion, The Police did little to halt the riots because they were undermanned and knew that they could review the CCTV footage and bring the criminals to book in the weeks, months or years following.

Without this reliance on CCTV, perhaps The Police would have been better staffed and stepped in sooner to prevent crime happening rather just waiting for the yobs to get bored with their own actions.

In this case M'Lud, I believe that CCTV led to an increase in crime.

Edited by AoH. (several times in an attempt not to look like I'm PoliceBashing)
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, CCTV, only works up to a point. In my opinion, more visible uniformed officers added to the mix would be a deterrent in such situations.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

In this case M'Lud, I believe that CCTV led to an increase in crime.

Speed cameras can at least read a registration plate but CCTV is not of a high enough definition to really be able to 100% identify people beyond all doubt, often relying on what a person is wearing etc, which is not fool proof.

If we had more police on the ground, both in highway patrols and on the beat then crime, speeding, and other aspects of driving that a camera cannot detect would in my opinion be significantly reduced.

Not only that but also insurance premiums etc would also be greatly reduced because the damage would not have been done in the first place so speed cameras, CCTV have a place I agree but not at the expense of of real police presence on the ground.

In the case of Croydon, not only was there damage done to property, putting peoples livelihoods and lives at risk, but this property had to be repaired which added to the overall cost and added unnecessary suffering to many innocent people.

We have become reliant on the photographic evidence today and that in my view does not reduce crime / speeding etc at all. CCTV, once people know its there, just moves antisocial behavior and crimes into areas not covered by the cameras, and I really don't think that the practice of switching off street lights at night actually help either.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
...but CCTV is not of a high enough definition to really be able to 100% identify people beyond all doubt, often relying on what a person is wearing etc, which is not fool proof.
And human witnesses are? Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: