Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera detectors v Sat Navs with camera detection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera detectors v Sat Navs with camera detection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Speed Camera detectors v Sat Navs with camera detection Reply with quote

Can I canvass opinions please on which sat nav with camera detection (that can use the PGPSW database) is the best to get and way it is the best?

I have just purchased a TomTom Go 510 World new from Halfords because I was under the impression looking at the database compatibility chart that it would accept the database. Of course it doesn't as they have changed the way of interacting with the files and now you have to use their program called "MyDrive" which seems to be so buggy and keeps crashing all the time. It also will only accept POI's so you can search for a particular item and the item does not appear on the maps either. So that puts the tin hat on using the PGPSW database with the unit as a result.

I choose TomTom partly because of the chart stating it was compatible with PGPSW files

My car has a excellent built in sat nav but no camera detection ability. I used to have an excellent apart its size and the awful screen, a Drivemaster but they went out of business, and it used the PGPSW database very effectively. I then switched to a Novus Alpha, excellent camera detector with free updates but they have also now gone out of business and hence my purchase of the TomTom, but after just over a week of using it is driving me mental with its buggy software and clunky interface. It takes ages to get it to accept a update of its maps / camera database.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should be buying and from where and why?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the PGPSW database then you're looking at either a Garmin, or the others listed as compatible (except TT of course), or Cameralert.

Cameralert and those that use the iGo system are directional whereas the Garmin isn't.

Depending on your phone model Cameralert may have issues. My HTC One M7 overheats and locks up after about half hours continual GPS use via Cameralert.

I chose Garmin because it also gives me the excellent digital traffic, depending on model. Far superior to the limited TMC RDS.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic moved from "Cameralert News" section as the question is not specific to that app.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my vote for CamerAlert as well, as long as you've got an iPhone or Android phone. CamerAlert gives you directional information as well as SPECS zone coverage.

I don't know if built-in SatNavs have changed much in the last few years but they used to be very expensive and offer very few functions when compared to PNDs or even phone apps, so I'd prefer to use a PND or nowadays a SatNav app on my phone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: