Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dilemma
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
At this point, you cannot use custom poi files on models such as the two you mentioned. But TomTom is working on it so I would think that functionality will appear sometime in Q1 of 2015.
Is there any info available about "the Beta test program for Community POIs"? All I can find by searching is that they're in beta testing, but there doesn't seem to be any info about the features that will be supported. Will this just allow us to load our own POIs, e.g. PocketGPSWorld supermarkets, for navigating to, or is there any suggestion that Proximity Alerts will be included in a way that would allow the use of the Camera Database in the same way as we can on older models e.g. my 940 LIVE

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got 8 days left of Q1 2015.

Like I said earlier, why do they bring out the new models with third party POIs disabled and start promising to enable it at some time in the future? Is the OS re-written so completely that any trace of the former POI functionality is completely missing? Did nobody in the "latest model" development team hear anything about third party POIs whilst they were blindly working away on them?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view has always been that TT is trying to reduce the demand on customer services by reducing the number of calls, the range of calls, and the training they need to give CS staff. Everything they have done has reduced the ability of owners to access their own devices.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! They have reduced the demand on customer services by reducing the functionality of their devices - if they don't have a particular function, customers can't complain that it doesn't work properly!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I decided to get a digital traffic replacement unit for my Garmin 2597 that only had TMC RDS traffic I did look at TT units.
Unfortunately the removal of third party camera POI's was a deal breaker so Garmin it was.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
They've got 8 days left of Q1 2015.

Like I said earlier, why do they bring out the new models with third party POIs disabled and start promising to enable it at some time in the future? Is the OS re-written so completely that any trace of the former POI functionality is completely missing? Did nobody in the "latest model" development team hear anything about third party POIs whilst they were blindly working away on them?

Probably because they have got rid of any good programmers and have someone in charge who believes they can re-invent the world in a similar way to MS tried with Windows 8
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the latest, new Android TT smartphone app does not allow for 3rd party POI's does not bode well for their promises of "it'll be added sometime soon" for the PND's, methinks.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand TT's attitude here. There are surely a great number of TT users who have over the years built up a store of their personal POIs which they can no longer add to these PNDs. I'm thinking of myself, with POIs for regular delivery points, sales reps with customer databases, service and maintenance engineers. There are surely lots of organisations with multiple employees involved in this and with a sickness absence, the replacement person can no longer pick up a POI database to stick on their own satnav. It's not as if TT's own POIs are great - in my Renault van is a built in TT with a POI database of Renault service dealers. I don't know about any others, but my own dealership is wrongly placed and you'd never be able to wander round a bit to find it near wherever the satnav takes you - because it's the wrong side of a postman's footbridge which my van can't use. The last time (a long time ago - once bitten twice shy) I asked my Live device to guide me to a Tesco supermarket diesel forecourt, I ended up in a housing estate with no supermarket anywhere in sight.

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
The fact that the latest, new Android TT smartphone app does not allow for 3rd party POI's does not bode well for their promises of "it'll be added sometime soon" for the PND's, methinks.

When you consider that the 'New' TomTom GO app has already been in development for 2 years, and released in Italy almost a year ago, I will view any promises of "sometime soon" with a large amount of scepticism.

Whilst the new app is a vast improvement over their first attempt at an Android navigation app, it still falls very short in many key areas, and it's very hard to understand what on earth they've been doing for the last 2 years?!? Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite astounding to think that way back in 2004 TomTom produced a ground-breaking, almost world-beating device (the GO) almost out of the blue, with a fantastic level of functionality and a stunning user interface and menu system.

For a while, I watched as they improved on the design and added new features. It was a great time to be in touch with them and to have a tiny part in steering the development.

Then they introduced the brilliant LIVE system, but it never QUITE fulfilled its promise... it was a fantastic concept, based on the best delivery system they had at the time but was held back by poor quality data. In fact, everything was like that... a great concept, but penny-pinching on the actual content (duff speed cams, totally fictitious fuel prices, traffic info that was often wrong and only covering some roads)

Then it all started to go wrong. At a time when the hardware was getting faster and more reliable, and screen technology was improving too, suddenly they seemed to stop caring what the public wanted.

"NAV3" came along and it seemed things were being done slightly differently "under the hood" but there was nothing new for the customer and in fact a lot of things were missing.

Then there was a bright new hope when it was announced that they were starting from scratch with an Android based system (NAV4). Yippee! look at all the customisation possible with Android, we may be able to have third-party apps running on it soon...

What happened? Everything on the development side was farmed out to the Far East, all the best programmers were lost, product managers were hired who seemed to have NO idea what the existing customer base wanted or needed in new models.

We've ended up with devices that are technical marvels, but they just don't do what we want them to do any more, and the user interface is full of fiddly little bits and pieces that may be fine on a phone, but crap when you are trying to poke the screen or see what you need to see, in a moving car at a distance.

Just one example... On every "old style" TomTom, I knew that to "take me home" I just needed to tap anywhere in the top left corner of the screen three times... I could do it without looking. Similarly, if I wanted to mute the voice sound, I just needed to tap the screen three times in the bottom centre.

But on a new one, to 'go home' I had to tap a precise little icon position to get into a scrolling menu, then scroll along to something off the screen ("My places"), find "Home" in a list, wait until it had drawn me a map to show me where I live (Grr!), and then poke an even smaller little steering wheel icon (even if I was on a bike) that was in a different part of the screen every time, just to get it to start finding a route. Madness!

After a lot of complaints, they have now finally added a "drive home" and "drive to work" button to the scrolling menu, but it's an uphill struggle to get something as simple as that changed.
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the newer tomtom go range is aimed more for your lets get the car out Sunday driver who don't care about 3rd party poi's
that's why I jumped ship to garmin ,
Wasn't sure at first but it's grown on me and I wouldn't look at tomtom again unless they listened to customers and developed a unit that had all the old features

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: