Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Garmin eTrex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Garmin eTrex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Garmin eTrex Reply with quote

Please post any comments regarding the Garmin eTrex Vista Review in this message.

The full review can be found here.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Garmin eTrex Reply with quote

hi dave i have this unit but havent used it as a stand alone unit yet but did use it linked to laptop runing autoroute 2002 last year doing nationwide home deliveries as was away all week I used everywhere in the uk exepet in london as i didnt trust the routing software but it worked grate the only downside was autoroute only updates every 4 seconds if you need any thing revewing or testing or help with anything pls contact me youd have though someone would have come up with some mapping software for hgvs that takes into account vehcle size weight and height and width minutes

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dave
Frequent Visitor

There is a tweak that allows you to update quicker than 4 seconds, and a link is placed on our downloads page for this. I find AutoRoute good from the point of view of using it on a PC to find locations and plot a basic route, but personally wouldn't want to use it for routing.

Have you tried Infomap Navigator ?
TonyP
Regular Visitor

I bought the eTrex Venture, which is the next model up from the yellow eTrex. If you want the PC cable, the Venture is a good bet, because it includes the cable, and cost about the same as the yellow eTrex plus a cable. The Venture also has a bit more memory for routes, a better display, and a tiny joystick that makes data entry easier.

I use it for mountain biking. I plot a track using the Gartrip software www.gartrip.de and download it to the eTrex, then I can follow the track on the bike. That works pretty well, although I print out the map as a backup. I have a PDA, but it is no good on a mointain bike.

There are eTrex models with a built in altimeter and compass, but now that SA is off they are not really necessary any more. The Venture gives altitude accurate to at least 20-30m most of the time, which is just as accurate as a pressure altimeter.

The eTrex only has a passive antenna, which is why the batteries last all day. It is perfect for open air activities like hiking biking or sailing, but it is not as good as the powered GPS units in a car.

jaybeetoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: eTrex now has 20 routes Reply with quote

I have just bought a new eTrex and it now comes with 20 routes.
nathankw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: eTrex now has 20 routes Reply with quote

jaybeetoo wrote:
I have just bought a new eTrex and it now comes with 20 routes.

I've just bought an Etrex (actually the Etrex camo model) and as JayBee says it seems to be higher specced than I was expecting.

Not only does it have the capacity for 20 routes it also seems to have WAAS. I'm a newbie to all this so I could be mistaken, but it has a menu option to enable WAAS and the manuals talks about it.

The software is version 3.0

The weird thing is the packaging and the Garmin website make no mention of this. It seems odd to make the product significantly better and not tell anyone!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is there any way at the moment to confirm if it can pick up WAAS (or rather Egnos)?

thanks,

n
gingerthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mine has 20 routes and WAAS enabled. Software version is 3.51

Don't think WAAS is working though.

Is it supposed to in North West UK?
gingerthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore that. WAAS is working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: