Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Electric Charging: The PocketGPSWorld Newsletter 27 11 2014
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric Charging: The PocketGPSWorld Newsletter 27 11 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Electric Charging: The PocketGPSWorld Newsletter 27 11 2014 Reply with quote

Darren Griffin wrote:
But what we desperately need (aside from higher battery density) is a route planner that has knowledge of every public charge point, slow, fast or rapid, to enable easy planning if you want to go further afield. There are loads of on-line services but none cover all the different charge networks, and in the UK alone there are dozens. The launch of Egomap in NI is a start, what we now need is a version that covers the UK.

Is that not a good one for the PGPS POI system? You could offer a free membership (perhaps not as long as for speed cameras, but...) for every new charging point that is reported.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a POI set here already, but only 10 entries by the look.
I don't use them so never looked to see what has been submitted. However, I know of a couple, but not the type of speed or maker.
I will start to submit them now though. A man ona mission! Laughing Out Loud.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's convenient to pop into a M-Way service area, plug and go grab a coffee for half an hour. Then off for another 80 miles, then another coffee/plug-and-go. And so on. I reckon I'd get to Edinburgh in about 4 or 5 coffees, plus at least as many stops to deal with the diuretics! Oh and I'd be pretty wired up on caffeine by the time I got there. So compared to my good old oiler, I'd add 3 or 4 hours to the travel time (if the nice electric car does 70mph). But then, I'd be able to hear the radio for a change. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And think of the greenhouse gasses that you won't be putting out, but the power stations will. Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And think of the greenhouse gasses that you won't be putting out, but the power stations will. Rolling Eyes

Solar, wind and tidal don't put out greenhouse gasses... Cool
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but the first two are horrendously inefficient, don't generate when we need it and cost the tax payer shedloads of money in a vain attempt to save the planet. Until other countries 'get on board', which strikes me as entirely unlikely, we are p*****g into the wind and the amount of our cash that the Government are pouring at these miss-guided, ridiculous projects is obscene as it will make no difference to global warming at all even if we reduce the UK's output of CO2 to zero. It just serves to fill the pockets of the windmill manufacturers/installers, who are not UK based so does not even add to the economy that way.
And whilst I am in rant mode, I wonder why no-one pointed out that the biggest folly of the well known Boris Island airport should have been 'rising sea levels'. The reason it wasn't put forward as the main objection is that it no one actually believes it and there is no solid scientific evidence to say it will happen.

Where are all these tidal generators then?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mystifies me to see these protest signs about "No wind farm at xxxxx". Often quite close to a huge zillion acre stretch of those ugly solar panels.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If solar, wind and other renewables are so horrendously inefficient, M8TJT, how come Germany has managed to produce about 81 TWh, or 31% of the nation’s entire electricity production from them during the first half of 2014?
Solar production is up 28%, wind 19% and biomass 7% over last year.
Source

Or there's Denmark.... They produced a third of their electricity from the wind in 2013 and they are already finding it their CHEAPEST power source.
They aim to produce 70 percent of their energy from renewable sources by 2020, and to make the switch to renewables completely by mid-century.
Source

Results like that ARE possible, if enough resources and expertise are put behind renewables, (without selling out to the existing power giants, who have their own vested interests).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Solar production is up 28%, wind 19% and biomass 7% over last year.
You mean the biomass that we have to import from the States, which has much larger handling/storage hazards and actually produce more CO2 than the coal that it replaced from about the most efficient coal fired power station in the UK. More CO2, ye gods.
Quote:
They produced a third of their electricity from the wind in 2013 and they are already finding it their CHEAPEST power source.
Then why is it so heavily subsidised by us to foreign companies if it's so brilliant?
Quote:
.... (without selling out to the existing power giants, who have their own vested interests).
I rest my case on that one. And how much difference will these countries lower CO2 output make when compared with China's increase in coal power stations like they are going out of fashion.
Estimates for 2012 Mt CO2
World 34,500,000
China 9860 29%
USA 5190 15%
India 1970 6%
Russia 1770 5%
Japan 1320 4%
Totals 20110 58%

UK 490 1%

Source OK, not the most reliable source, but probably in the right ball park.
So reduce our CO2 emission to zero will make about -1% globally. Total waste of time unless the top 5 can be persuaded to cut down. Possible? I don't think so! Come on, let's get this madness in perspective and get rid of the people posturing behind useless green credentials.
And it's not even a proven fact that the CO2 will cause the disasters that the doom mongers 'predict'
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that it's currently (poor electric pun intended) Laughing free for drivers of electric cars to charge their cars at these stations. I reckon that when enough people have invested their cash into electric vehicles these places will then charge (another poor electric pun intended) for charging cars. Confused [/cynic mode]

Whilst slightly different, back in the early 1990s, diesel was much cheaper than petrol. I remember that I bought my first diesel vehicle in 1992 and almost straight away the price of diesel started to rise compared to petrol!
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Charging: The PocketGPSWorld Newsletter 27 11 2 Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
Darren Griffin wrote:
But what we desperately need (aside from higher battery density) is a route planner that has knowledge of every public charge point, slow, fast or rapid, to enable easy planning if you want to go further afield. There are loads of on-line services but none cover all the different charge networks, and in the UK alone there are dozens. The launch of Egomap in NI is a start, what we now need is a version that covers the UK.

Is that not a good one for the PGPS POI system? You could offer a free membership (perhaps not as long as for speed cameras, but...) for every new charging point that is reported.
I have to admit that when I saw the newsletter, my immediate thought was "If only there was something like a website based on public submissions that would distribute a POI set to their members..."
But, I see that the Egomap (I know that it's E(lectric)-go-map, but that's a dreadful name!) does "intelligent" route planning, based on present charge and distance on a charge. I wonder how soon a mainstream PND or smartphone app will offer "e-routing"?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: