Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A couple of suggested enhancements
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of suggested enhancements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brgdata
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: A couple of suggested enhancements Reply with quote

Having trawled through this forum I don't think these have come up before, but apologies if they have.

CamerAlert v1.3.5.548 on Android

1. Whilst it is suggested in the user guide that using satellite map view may be better for night time use, could you not offer an option to either reduce the brightness or have an alternative colour scheme. Even better, to enable this automatically based on time and date and location.

2. Currently, to display maps the phone has to be 'connected' to mobile data while in use. Whilst this may be normal use for many people (although not necessarily safest use), it does also use more battery power. Could you not make use of the OpenMap data to enable 'offline' use, as the MapFactor Navigator application does.

Generally, great appliction though. Very Happy

Regards,
brgdata
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I may have previously focused on the enhancements 'sticky' post I think, but have now found some previous posts regarding these items and have the following additional comments:

1. Regarding the night use. The suggestion to use the ScreenFilter may well be an adequate option, but whilst it would appear to be suggested that managing the screen brightness is a problem (both in iOS and Android), surely if you offer an alternate colour scheme you can make it as bright (or dull) as you wish?

2. Apparently Google won't allow map caching and it is believed that the storage requirements for 'locally' held maps is too great, due to support for zooming. The MapFactor Navigator uses OpenStreetMap data, holds it locally and allows a degree of zooming. It may be that the degree of zooming is less than required although it appears adequate to me. I don't believe I have a particularly large amount of storage space on my mobile (in fact definitely not on the phone itself but I do have a 2Gb SD Card). So could it not either be an option to support these maps if found, or to offer to include them if downloaded. In terms of a re-write of the software if needed, perhaps the OpenStreetMaps data could be converted to the Google maps format?

Regards,
brgdata
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: For the developers Reply with quote

Further to the last update, I have found Mapsforge which you may already know about and probably is not the only offering/solution, but would suggest that it may not be that hard to include as a facility (easy to use API). However, I'm not a programmer (well not a regular one that could currently offer any help in this area), so this might be easier to write and say, than actually achieve.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions brgdata. If I recall the idea of having inbuilt maps is on the wish list but has not yet made the app for several reasons including; Storage space for the maps. Processing memory as the app can be power hungry especially when run in conjunction with a Navigation app. And for that same reason that most users tend to run it in the background while a Navigation program runs in the foreground. But it is something that has been considered.

As for the maps. We cannot alter the map data therefore we cannot offer a night mode for maps at this time, but you have already found that out. Consider it also on the wish list!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Android you can use ScreenFilter which is free and will overlay a dark filter - something that can be done as an android app but would be impossible to do in iOS.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just started using Cameralert on a Wildfire S so excuse my ignorance.

The only feature I would find useful is to be able to adjust the warning volume via the phones normal side volume buttons, or can you already ?

Seems a tad quiet for me and I've got the dedicated volume setting at 95%

Nice app though, better than Garmin as it's directional and has a bigger true speed display. Plus I'm using the satellite maps, superb Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

The only feature I would find useful is to be able to adjust the warning volume via the phones normal side volume buttons, or can you already ?

Nice app though, better than Garmin as it's directional and has a bigger true speed display. Plus I'm using the satellite maps, superb Very Happy

Have you tried upping the media volume? Turn on the music app and increase that volume. I believe CamerAlert sound works via the media.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

Have you tried upping the media volume? Turn on the music app and increase that volume. I believe CamerAlert sound works via the media.

Please don't laugh ............

I have a dedicated Wildfire S Brodit active mount. I think it's muffling the sound, must investigate further.

Another thing I've noticed is not to move the application to the SD card as it seriously affects the Cameralert performance. Moved it back to the phone and my position isn't continually jumping around.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like an extremely slow SD card. On a reasonable card (class 6 and better) there is no performance difference.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you're right, I've moved it back to the phone and it's fine again. I've got plenty of room so I'll leave it alone now.

Nice app though Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m0nbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

I use mapforge maps on my cgeo app and it isn't a massive file and can be split into areas. Is it possible to use the maps on CamAlert?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsI understand things, camera alert isa free standing app, and doesn't embed intoa map. It either runs in front of or behind the map. So you can use any map system that works on your phone.

CA will then pop up and show according to the preferences you've applied in the CA settings. There is an option to always show map, never show map, or show map close toa camera. I know these work when using Google maps, but can't say about others.

There isa post further back and the poster seems to be using the map you refer to.

Hope helps a bit. Hate this tab, trying to type is spain.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that m0nbr means that he wants to use a preloaded map in conjunction with the CA 'Always show map' feature, instead of using the default data consuming Google maps for the map display.
If this is the case, as opposed to be running CA 'behind' a different map set/nav program, then I'm certain that what he wants to do is not possible.

253 wrote:
Hate this tab, trying to type is spain.
I would have thought the you really meant 'a pain'?
Very Happy
m0nbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. I was hoping to use the CA with a map all built in. I have a tab that doesn't have data. Not a lot else on it either.
So the idea was to have CA with its own map therefore not needing another app ( ie google map) to run.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you choose the Google map v2 on CamerAlert you get something similar. Depending on the available space on your device a substantial portion of the map is cached on the device, and you will be able to use it without incurring constant data charges. This is only really helpful when your radius of movement is limited to let's say the trips between home, work and shopping. At some point the cache also goes stale and needs to be refreshed.

What do you see as the benefit of running CamerAlert with offline maps? How much are the visuals contributing to the value you are getting out of it?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: