Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Erroneous live traffic info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Erroneous live traffic info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep you posted.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lengthy dialogue with Inrix.

They have decided to investigate further and their first response is that they reported the location of long term road works incorrectly. Which is possible and positive.

Quote:
There may be technological limitations with placement but they should be able to get it moved much closer to where it should be.

This the map they sent me which shows the reported roadworks to the east and the actual some 400-500m to the west. (Click to view)
Map from Inrix

For a full screen version, copy and paste this URL into your browser or use your secondary button to open it in a new tab or window: http://bigjohnd.org.uk/SatNav/Inrix01.jpg

However I'm not entirely convinced. They located the roadworks some 400-500m from the actual, which must be well outside their normal tolerances. Note the length of the construction work - September 2014 to March 2017 - which is probably correct as it's to do with the rebuilding of the Royal Liverpool Hospital on the corner, and means there will be formal road closure orders in place.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and this is what I believe to be the problem. Yes, there may very well be roadworks on the go for a long time but we are only interested with roadworks that are causing traffic issues.

In my area they are continually 24x7 reporting roadworks that are only active overnight and therefore do not need displaying during the day as they are causing no issues.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes see that but I also get a message saying no delays ... are yours showing delays as well as warning you of the roadworks?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's traffic system works in a similar way.... Roadworks (and lane closures) are shown as warnings, but if they are not causing any problems, then the delay time is set to zero.

Seems the best of both worlds.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I'm quite happy with that. Also when I get warnings of an accident but showing no delay Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is often accompanied by a no delay message. But, why get a report about cones at the side of the road? Especially if it is at the expense of more relevant info.

However, in west London for example roadworks are all over the place and in my observations via the Garmin 'incident' list feature, the roadworks are in their hundreds in quite a small area.

Via the TA cable the roadworks are not so numerous as the radius of interest seems to be smaller than Smartlink and the normal yellow/red traffic delays are reported, but SmartLink is now a roadworks only reporting tool.

As mentioned by a few now, along the western section of the M25 it is very rare to get any traffic warnings, even when your sat stationary in one on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Trying to get Garmin to acknowledge and investigate has proved fruitless.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had further correspondence with INRIX, and while they're polite, they must think I'm a nutter or something.

I've sent them screenshots of a) roads they say are closed but are not and b) roads they say are open but are not, but they just nod and say that's what they know.

I'm considering taking photos of the locations to show that their info is just plain inaccurate.

There's a planned motorway slipway closure on the route into the Mersey which is scheduled to last some 4 months while a bridge is replaced - it'll be interesting to see what INRIX comes up with as I pass by there often.
Quote:
M53 Junction 2 Moreton
http://goo.gl/tfM5e5
A project to update a the section of the M53 at junction 2 is due to begin on Thursday 5 February, removing weight restrictions and reinstating lanes. The southbound exit and entry slip roads will close to all traffic for around 16 and 12 weeks respectively. The northbound slip roads will also need to be closed overnight at times and there will be at least two full weekend closures of the main motorway carriageway to allow the bridges to be removed and replaced safely. A 50mph speed limit and narrowed lanes will be in place.

Meanwhile, I'm fast losing confidence in this system.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

After all this time, INRIX have accepted that the road closure position is where I and Liverpool City Council say it is!
Quote:
Here's the short story. Incident icon placement depends on traffic tile location and size. Think of traffic tiles as colors on the map- they have varying lengths and placement of icons is determined by the particular tile. In short, we needed to manually attach this incident location to a particular lat/long coordinate. the engineers just followed up that they were able to accomplish this. I just checked our data and the construction incident icon has been moved to the hospital where the construction is going on. Smile

Hopefully traffic info on Edge Lane will no longer display "Road Closed" when it isn't and then produce alternative routes at every junction..

Here is the official closure info:

West Derby Street, L7
http://liverpool.gov.uk/parking-travel-and-roads/roadworks/
The redevelopment of the Royal Liverpool University Hospital by Carillion Construction Services has resulted in lane restrictions and a temporary one-way (Crown Street to Low Hill) until 31st March 2017.[/b]
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again!

The bridge in the middle of Elland is closed, and has been since the floods last December. It is estimated the re-build will take a year. But INRIX don't seem to know about it and I was directed over it.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/calderdale/work-starts-on-demolishing-elland-bridge-1-7869686

I've emailed them and awaiting a reply.

Meanwhile, their live data about motorway congestion &c. is very good, and on the way home diverted me in good time without increasing the usual journey time over the M62 by very much.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience if you have a xx98 model then the SmsrtLink traffic is unbeatable for accuracy and content. If you have a xx99 or the new DriveSmart, DriveLuxe or DriveAssist then forget SmartLink for traffic as it is completely broken (sometimes hours of phantom incidents), and rely on the HD traffic which as you say is good but by no means perfect

Pity they just don't get their unit software reading the SmartLink app as it used to - or better still merge their two datasources so either work as well as each other
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2548LMT-D - no Smartlink - live DAB digital info direct from INRIX.

Usually when a road is closed, the location is indicated on the map and an alternative route calculated. Nothing appears for Elland Bridge.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2598 and the HD traffic system is improving. It picked up a queue at Hawkhurst traffic lights yesterday afternoon. It never used to go down to that sort of level.
2wheelsgood
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Live or Not? Reply with quote

My Garmin unit sometimes does this as well.

Makes it entertaining to sometimes see that the road I am already on is apparently closed but the sat nav is just a tool - we also have to use a little common sense at times. The problem is that the data it uses is driven by a large umber of factors and sometimes one driver will led to an overall false positive.

The reality is that we use the tool, but don't let the tool drive all we do.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Live or Not? Reply with quote

2wheelsgood wrote:

The reality is that we use the tool, but don't let the tool drive all we do.

I appreciate that but we're talking about a year long major local road closure. There are local diversions in place, but I am surprised that INRIX/Garmin's routing showed no reference to it and consequently directed me that way.

As you can see, there is no bridge!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: