Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System Reply with quote

Hi there,

I can't seem to find any other posts about this system - it's in a 2014 C Class, SD based navigation, not the Command, hard drive type.

The navigation SD card is labeled SD Card Garmin Map Pilot Europe 2014 Version 2.1. I've logged into the update software, and the MB Download Manager says that the SD Card is up to date.

I have tried following the instructions on this site for the Mercedes Command navigation, but with no success - with the PersonalPOI folder in both root and in \Garmin\

So, looking at the contents of \Garmin\ there appears to be a POI folder, which contains just one file called ECE_V9.0.gpi

Creating my own favourites POI doesn't seem to change any files on the SD card (or create a PersonalPOI folder), and I cannot find an option in the system to import personal POI.

Has anyone else had any luck with this system, or can help me investigate further?

Thanks,

Harv
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for a way to add the speed camera database to this particular car's satnav. To avoid confusion its the W205 variant which is the 2014/15 New model C class fitted with Garmin Map Pilot
This is how contents of SD card look....
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks exactly the same as mine.

I am going to try adding some more favourite POI locations, and see if they appear in the file in POI.

Have you got any thoughts how to tackle this?

Harv
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to use Garmin's POI Loader, but have not tried it. Make sure you make back-up of SD card first
Explained here...

http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader

and download here...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12[url]
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

You're a genius - I have tried this and loaded the consolidated ones on (download without sounds) - I seem to have all the icons on the map. I cant tell how I selected them, they seemed to appear after I cleared all favourite locations, although that may be a coincidence.

I'm unsure if there will be any kind of warning when approaching a camera, if you try one with voices then please let me know. (I've only ever used the cameralert app previously).

Thanks again.

harv
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying all settings today again, warnings seem to work but need to test on a drive.

Follow this guide in general and let me know how you get on
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-garmin.php
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the guide I followed Very Happy

I went for a drive yesterday, and through a 60 mobile camera, a warning appeared, which went red when the speed was over the limit. On the return journey the warning did not appear, so it must be directional.

No sound, but maybe I need to add one of the sound files, or re-enable the guidance sounds.

How have you got on?

Harv
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loading the PGPSW speed camera database using the Garmin POI Loader works just fine and places POI camera file directly into POI folder direct to original Mercedes supplied SD card, as one would hope.

Note: Do not bother trying to clone the SD card as it contains an encrypted ID file in the root of the SD card making the Garmin map locked to this and only this Mercedes SD card. You can make a copy of all files by all means but the copy will have to go back onto the original card and not any other otherwise you won't be able to open a map as it will be unlocked (I know as I tried).

Tested the speed cameras just now and everything seems to be working together with the audible alerts, only strange thing was that a 30 mph camera was showing as 19 mph for some reason on screen, but at least it alerted me to it. I will test more tomorrow on a longer 2 hour run over peak district.

The nice thing is that the alerts seem to work fine even when a route hasn't been set, which is kind of handy sometimes when you know where you are going but want reminders.

Tomorrow I will adjust alert distances and change chime alert.
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

That sounds like a success - I'm glad I didn't try and clone the SD card now.

Where did you find a setting to change the alert distances, also, which alert sounds did you chose?

I am guessing your 30Mph alert could be down to a Meters/Kilometers update in the GarminPOI tool rather than Feet/Miles load (19MPH is about 30KPH).

Harv
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
... only strange thing was that a 30 mph camera was showing as 19 mph for some reason on screen, but at least it alerted me to it.
From the instructions linked to above wrote:
NB: You MUST ensure you select Feet and mph if you are using UK/Northern Ireland files or Meters and km/h for all other countries (see below). If you do not ensure this selection is correct for your territory then the alerts will sound at incorrect speeds. This is the most commonly asked question, please check you have configured this correctly first!
As it says, this is a VERY common question Very Happy

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminder regarding km/h and m/h when installing, I must have missed it in the excitement of the testing!! Will try again this evening
Ravi29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: cyclops Reply with quote

Hi, I am in same boat as you guys. Bought new Mercedes with garmin map pilot. Just wondring can we add cyclops POI in it. I am trying it with poi loader but because the file I have got is .gpi extension and poi loader is not recognising it and simple copy paste seems like not working in sd card.

By the way mercedes has now released v2.3 map which is available to update through merc download manager.
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: cyclops Reply with quote

Ravi29 wrote:
I am trying it with poi loader but because the file I have got is .gpi extension and poi loader is not recognising it and simple copy paste seems like not working in sd card.

So just use PGPSW data as we know it works. There is really no point trying to get cyclops to work for sake of £20 a year
Navstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I just logged this post on the Garmin page, but will add it here seeing your thread below.

I have just taken delivery of a new Mercedes C-Class and was excited to hear that they have adopted a Garmin SatNav (rather than an embedded 'Mercedes' SatNav for example).

As per your discussion, they are using the Garmin Map Pilot, loaded from an SD card in the centre console. Great news I thought, now I have the car and the Map Pilot I can download POIs of interest and best of all - safety cameras...

I contacted Garmin, who told me that whilst Mercedes are using their app and their name, Garmin has no control over the Map Pilot package - speak to Mercedes. So I contacted Mercedes and asked how I load POIs and safety cameras. Only to be told that speed cameras are Illegal in Germany and that it is therefore not possible to add speed cameras or anything but map updates to this package...

Considering I have an excellent TomTom unit which has speed (safety) cameras for almost all of Europe, this sounds like a typical motor manufacturer add-on issue - they use it as a sales 'hook' and then abandon all support for the application and it simply becomes another manufacturer installed waste of money and space. Hugely disappointing when the large display in the C-Class makes the SatNav very useful (or not!) as the case may be...

I spoke to Mercedes support, who obviously had no idea what I was talking about, but took an action to come back to me with a definitive response - I am still waiting...

Has anyone else come across this issue, with the new C-Class or, perhaps better still, have any ideas how or if I could add safety cameras to this package (bearing in mind I actually have the application on an SD card) please?

Many thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post Rolling Eyes Other posting with answers is Here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: