Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waypoints
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waypoints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Waypoints Reply with quote

Having downloaded the Pennine Way and SW Coast Path, I get the message that their are over 500 waypoints that could slow my device. I'm not aware that I ever use them, and not even sure why I would want to ?, so my question is, can I safely delete the lot or are they their for a purpose ? thanks.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I have missed something, waypoints are the points along the path. So the track or route goes through the waypoints and if you delete them all then you will have no route/track.

I would expect the Pennine Way and the South Coast Path to have a lot of "waypoints" would you not? Maybe, if you find that it does appear to be slowing your device, that you just save the route in a few sections.

Does that make sense?
Satsync 1.525
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks...so much for my ignorance.
So when I save a walk, how many waypoints to the mile am I saving, or is it not quite like that ? Sorry about this, but why would I want to Edit waypoints in the settings ?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge is based on Garmins, where a route that has 'viapoints' won't have corresponding waypoints in the waypoint list. They are simply part of the route so to delete them you'd need to edit the route.

I guess on the satmap they appear as waypoints also in some sort of waypoint list (Garmins keep waypoints in 'Waypoint manager').

If you've downloaded the routes are they saved to your PC somewhere? If so I'd just try deleting the waypoints and see what happens. If the route disappears then you'll know you can't do it.

Incidentally with Garmin handhelds there's a limit to the number of viapoints you can have in a route. On my Etrex 20 is 250. But you can get around that by creating a 'track' from the route, since a 'track' can have up to 10,000 points Very Happy
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike is right: the route is made up of waypoints. There may be a way of decreasing the number of waypoints. If you have downloaded the routes from the web they may in fact be tracks which is the trail that you save while out walking. Open the track in Xpedition; right click and save as a route and it will clean up the track deleting unnecessary way points. While out walking I think the Active 10 drops a waypoint every 4 seconds or so; a track can therefore have thousands of waypoints but will have far fewer when saved as a route. Hope that helps.

John
reece34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure i asked a question sometime ago about waypoints and tracks.

wanted to know whether if i converted all my routes with waypoints to tracks would it speed up my satmap. and the answer was no.

i may of even asked satmap the question.

bearing in mind i have 250-300 routes on my satmap at once.
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reece34 wrote:
pretty sure i asked a question sometime ago about waypoints and tracks.

wanted to know whether if i converted all my routes with waypoints to tracks would it speed up my satmap. and the answer was no.

i may of even asked satmap the question.

bearing in mind i have 250-300 routes on my satmap at once.

I am in the same situation with many saved entries. When you get an answer from satmap can you please post it here. Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: